5 yrs out, issues w/vomiting - again. :-(

luanne2
on 4/8/15 3:45 am

So, I had a VSG back a ways - 11/2009.  Things have been great, reached target in 2011.  Since 2012 I've gained 30 lbs.  In the past 6 months I've started vomiting again.  Usually it is just after a couple of bites of lunch or dinner.  I haven't been able to correlate it to anything - it's just all of a sudden I start foaming at the mouth like a rabid animal, and it is either spit or swallow, and then everything starts coming up.  Hasn't prevented me from gaining weight though. :-(

Anyone else have this or similar issue after a long time of everything being good? 

Hislady
on 4/8/15 5:25 am - Vancouver, WA

Very first thing you need to do is get in to your surgeon right away!! It could be a stricture which can fixed but you have to see him to find out what is going on. Waiting and guessing isn't helping at all. In the mean time I would suggest protein drinks if you can't eat regular food so you can keep your protein up and not gain extra weight by eating junk food which nearly always goes down! Either way and endoscopy is probably in order and then he can figure out what is happening. It could be from too big a bite or eating too fast but at 5 yrs I would guess you already know how to eat without doing that but sometimes people get back to old ways of eating so while you wait to get into the doc you can be keeping a watch on small bites and chewing well to see if that helps. Even if it doesn't happen still see your doc he can do tests that will show if the problem is physical or just return to bad habits.

luanne2
on 4/8/15 6:12 am, edited 4/8/15 6:17 am

"eating junk food which nearly always goes down"  - Ha, ha!  Don't you know it!  Well, not hamburgers or anything, but certainly crumbly short bread cookies and gelatin candies!!  

I'm still very good with chewing food...something I really adapted to well after surgery.  Any little bit of anything - gristle, fiber - it doesn't go down.

I haven't seen my surgeon since my surgery.  When I went back they always sent me to the endocrinologist.  I haven't been back since 5/2012... dunno, just didn't have any rapport with him.  I see my GP this Friday (annual physical).  but he's never seemed too interested/engaged/knowledgeable about my VSG.  but yeah, I see what you mean about a stricture.  Actually, I had this happen with water - it was in the middle of a practice and after swigging some water i had to skate off the track and vomit; it was jus****er and mucus.  That was about a month ago.  Thanks for the info - I looked up "stricture" and "VSG" and yup, that sounds like a lot of what I'm struggling with.  Weird though that it started 5 years after my surgery!

Gwen M.
on 4/8/15 11:06 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Definitely get in touch with your surgeon!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

luanne2
on 4/11/15 4:13 am

Thanks all.  I mentioned it to my GP and he was pretty cool about it until I mentioned I had also had problems w/water on two occasions, so he's referred me to a local GI person.  Still, the symptoms aren't consistent... it isn't every day, or every meal, or every time I drink water.  I haven't been able to correlate it consistently with anything.  Maybe I am just eating too fast.  At least if I was having issues wouldn't you think it would be nice that I wouldn't eat enough to gain weight?  Yeah, that.  :-)

luanne2
on 5/9/15 7:49 pm

My GP switched me from omeprazole to pantoprazole and 99% of the problem went away.  :-)

Bella_Fein
on 5/10/15 8:12 pm - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

That is great news! Acid is a pain in the rear! Glad it was something simple!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Jessca
on 5/9/15 10:06 pm
RNY on 04/20/15

I've heard this is called productive burp or sliming. I think eating or drinking too fast is one cause - do you think that could be it? 

HW 313 SW 273 CW 208

M1 - 25 M2 - 10 M3 - 12 M4 - 9 M5 - 5 M6 - 4

luanne2
on 6/30/15 4:44 pm

Hahahaha... 'sliming'.  I love it.  Made me think of Ghostbusters.  It doesn't seem related to speed as it starts after just the first bite and I often have a feeling it will happen before it does.  Kind of a queasy feeling.  I had another couple of bad weeks - switched to liquid protein and soup and generally things are holding steady.  If I have issues again though I've got a referral to get scoped.

Most Active
Recent Topics