Caffeine post op?

Susan C.
on 4/7/15 6:44 am

Hello, I am an old bander, revising to a sleeve on May 5   I met with the dietician today regarding the post-op diet, and was told no caffeine for 4 weeks post-op.  I am addicted to caffeine!  Don't remember this rule when I received my band (8 years ago).  What were your surgeons rules regarding caffeine post-op?

Susan

NoRegrets4Me
on 4/7/15 6:53 am
VSG on 04/21/15

My surgeon told me caffeine was fine post surgery as long as I get my water in first! Caffeine is a diuretic. I too have to have my coffee...but I have cut it down to once a day. I drink my coffee black so I don't have to worry about extra sugar. I drink 64+ ounce of water a day and one cup of coffee in preperation for my upcoming sugery. Good Luck!! I would follow your surgeon's plan but talk with him about it.

Susan C.
on 4/7/15 6:56 am

Thank you for your reply!  I drink my coffee black, also...was going to beg for leniency!  And thanks for the luck!

Susan

DSJSMOM23
on 4/7/15 8:56 am
VSG on 06/24/14

My program says six months. I started drinking it again at 3 months, Coincidentally the same time I went back to work LOL

I'm fine, and they are fine with it. They are just concerned with dehydration and getting your fluids in.

Sandra F.
on 4/7/15 10:30 am

I couldn't have it for one month too.  I just drank decaf coffee the first month, which doesn't taste the same to me, but it worked I guess.  I switched back after that though.

Hislady
on 4/7/15 12:04 pm - Vancouver, WA

Coffee is not a diuretic nor does it increase your appetite. I believe the reason for not wanting you to have coffee immediately post op is more because of its acidity and it could cause nausea and an increase in acid which would irritate the tender newly cut stomach. Other than that the time seems to vary with each surgeon. I would start now lowering the amount of coffee in your coffee maker and eventually switching it over to decaf then it won't be so difficult when you do have to stop. You can get some nasty withdrawls from coffee. Good luck it can be rough, fortunately you'll be on pain meds for awhile!!!

lianna
on 4/7/15 12:54 pm - South, TX
VSG on 03/09/15 with

I couldn't have any for the first 4 weeks due to the acidity.  I have been having Syntrax Nectar Cappuccino for breakfast, and really haven't missed it.

Lianna   lapband 2005, removed 2014.  VSG 3/9/15

mmsmom
on 4/7/15 10:21 pm - Woburn, MA

I'm a former bandster and was concerned as well as I feel like I depend on caffeine alot.  However, after surgery you aren't working which means you can sleep more - needing less caffeine.  Also I lost my taste for coffee for months after surgery and only recently have resumed my 1 iced coffee a day habit (I am a tea drinker and refuse to believe that a cup of tea could ever be anything but beneficial, lol).

VSG on 04/28/2014

piperboodog
on 4/7/15 11:09 pm

My dietician says that caffeine is a stimulant and being almost 3 weeks post op I don't meed that right now. I'm also drinking de-caf which doesn't taste the same but will do for now.

Tracy D.
on 4/8/15 12:24 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

My surgeon didn't want us doing any caffeine either at first.  Caffeine is a stimulant and can actually stimulate hunger, regardless of the surgery you have.  Worst, the things we drink with caffeine can trigger us into wanting other things that go well with it (a donut with that coffee? some salty food with that Diet Coke?).  

However, when I got to maintenance I have introduced some caffeine back in with no issues.  There are other people here who never gave up their morning cup of coffee.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics