Back again

peachpie
on 4/13/15 5:56 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

My main reason is health, mobility is not so much an issue for me. (That I can tell at least).

I'm pre  diabetic and have hypertension. I also no longer have a thyroid, which I felt was making an already uphill battle with weight loss impossible.

I'm around your age and would be lying if I'd said it had nothing to do with vanity. Actually it has more to do with more readily finding clothing options and shoe options. And since I've lost 70% of my hair, I deserve a break with vanity!!

rturnage
on 4/13/15 11:18 am - Maumee, OH

You do deserve a break!  My hair is probably the biggest part of my vanity.  If you don't mind my asking, was it the thyroid that caused your hair loss?  Yes, I have to order everything online.  I was used to it with shoes because I have exceptionally wide feet, but it's hard to not even be able to go to the plus size clothes stores anymore.  

I wasn't trying to say that it's wrong to be vain.  I guess it's weird, but I already feel very attractive, so the health is the biggest problem for me.  I was sort of wanting to find people who don't feel ugly at this size.  

peachpie
on 4/13/15 12:16 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I was losing hair prior to my thyroid issues, thanks to scalp scarring alopecia. Add in sebhhoric dermatitis, and then the thyroid issues it was a perfect storm for permanent hair loss. I'm used to it and have a great wig assortment (Though I don't always use them). 

I certainly don't feel ugly at this weight, and I love when I meet others with the same coincidence. 

rturnage
on 4/13/15 12:39 pm - Maumee, OH

I can see where it would be nice to have wigs as an option.  I have heard that they are hot, so I don't blame you for not always using them!

happyteacher
on 4/13/15 9:12 am

Those were the ONLY two reasons I did it (health, mobility). Do I look better? I do and I appreciate that aspect, but as a cancer patient health was paramount. Prior to surgery I was trying to be realistic about how much mobility I would regain, but ended up far surpassing that. The only thing I don't do is run, but that is not an issue for me. 

I am glad you are able to follow this path finally! It can change your life for sure.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

rturnage
on 4/13/15 11:20 am - Maumee, OH

Yes, I try to be realistic as well.  Sometimes I see people just out and about, living their lives, and I feel sort of amazed at how they do it.  I guess the body is far more resilient than we realize!  I saw in your signature that your foot size went down.  Is that typical?  I have no grand hopes for my feet.  Even as a little girl, my mom had to order special shoes for me because of my wide width, but the thought that the options might open up for me a bit would be awesome.  I wear an 8.5 EEEE

(deactivated member)
on 4/17/15 3:47 am
with

I think it's wonderful that you are starting your journey (again) with the mindset of doing it for health reasons.  I imagine having body image issues in addition to obesity would make the surgery very difficult for someone and without  therapy would they even recognize results?  I'm still pre-op and hope to have a date for VSG in June/July.  I just noticed your location and since I'm in Toledo I had to reply!  I am seeing Dr Lalor in BG.  Best of luck to you!

Most Active
Recent Topics