Back again

rturnage
on 4/13/15 11:03 am - Maumee, OH

Thank you!  Yes, I have multiple orthopedic issues with my back and knees.  I am starting to see a pain management doctor, and I'm hoping he can help me enough to get more exercise in before surgery.  I have to go get my knees x-rayed.   He said he can do injections on my knees but that my back is too "padded." haha  It was sweet of him to put it that way.  

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/13/15 2:50 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Welcome back! & Congrats on getting the surgery. Health & mobility was definitely on the top of my list too. I was well on my way to being 400lbs, I already had diabetes & while my blood pressure was normal, I knew eventually the clock was gonna run out & that would end up being a problem too, along with all the other obesity related problems.

Glad to say I'm now on the lowest dose of diabetes medication & eventually will be off them totally. Hopefully this year, plus I walk more & actually like it! Whenever my knees & ankles feel ok, I aim for my 10 thousand steps most days with my little fitbit & go to the gym a few times each week. In the past I was a bit of a gym rat, then fell off with the weight gain, now I'm making my way back & this nice weather just makes it so much easier now.

Good Luck on your weight loss journey!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

rturnage
on 4/13/15 11:06 am - Maumee, OH

I used to go the gym all the time as well. I love swimming, and I would go 6-7 days a week.  Then I fell on an icy sidewalk and fractured my tailbone.  That injury left me really out of commission, and that's when I went from obese to what they call "super super obese." Isn't it funny that's the medical term?  Does that make me a super hero? :)  

I know what you mean about the clock.  I've had that in my mind, too.  Two years ago I didn't have major issues besides sleep apnea and mobility trouble.  Then I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and that scared the crap out of me!

MsBatt
on 4/16/15 8:42 am

I understand your thinking about the Sleeve versus traveling to get the full DS, but since you've been diagnosed with diabetes, you might want to re-think that. While losing weight usually greatly improves diabetes, the DS really IS the 'go to' surgery for diabetes---better than 98% of diabetics who get the DS achieve total remission. Then, you also need to think about the fact that many, many insurance companies are going to a 'one per lifetime' clause for WLS---even if they weren't the ones who paid for your first WLS, they can deny coverage if you do later need to upgrade to the complete DS.

I'm not trying to tell you you can't be successful with just the Sleeve---I just want you to carefully consider ALL your options.

Pamela M.
on 4/13/15 3:14 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 08/25/14

I'm happy that the Medicaid will pay for your surgery.  It is wonderful that you are so young and moving forward with this positive life-changing step.  I am 59 years old and had the surgery last August.  Oh how I wish I had had the surgery at least 15 years sooner.  My co-morbidity factors were what determined my decision.  I wanted to be healthy.  Now, 73 lbs. lighter, the positive appearance changes are pretty darn cool too.  Best of luck.

The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.   Henry David Thoreau

rturnage
on 4/13/15 11:08 am - Maumee, OH

I'm so happy to hear that people are saying I'm young.  I keep thinking I waited too long.  Well, I didn't really have a choice financially for a long time.  That's why I try to look at my current poverty as Providence.  My mom will be 60 this year and she has a lot of weight related health issues.  I wish she would tackle it like you have!  People live a long time these days! :)

Anne N.
on 4/13/15 3:58 am - Middle Island, NY

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!  I just started the process and have my first appt. with the surgeon on 5/5 and with the nutritionist on 5/19.  The ability to be active and improve my health are #1 with me at this point.  While I will admit that looking better will be a plus, how I *FEEL* is the most important goal to achieve.  I'm 47 and feel like I'm 87 sometimes.  Best of luck on your journey!

rturnage
on 4/13/15 11:11 am - Maumee, OH

I hear you on the feeling old!  I am so creaky and it's really difficult to walk around at times.  I feel 87, too!  I find that looks are a complicated issue for me, so I like to keep that on the back burner.  I have been overweight my entire life, so it's really a part of my identity.  Most of the time I already feel pretty, so I try to tell myself that losing weight would just reveal more of that. :)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/13/15 5:41 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

With Obstructive Sleep Apnea, high blood pressure, aching knees, swollen feet, non-alcohol related fatty liver disease and pushing the boundaries of diabetes, my decision to have surgery had very little to do with improving my appearance.  As I told the psychologist "I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired" and that was the truth.  I didn't want to live the rest of my life in a reclining chair.

Becoming healthy and active was my goal and I can't believe the differences in my life 15 months later.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

rturnage
on 4/13/15 11:13 am - Maumee, OH

Your health problems definitely mirror my own!  I have lymphedema as well and ended up with cellulitis last year.  I say the phrase about being sick and tired of being sick and tired all the time.  I also hate how small my world has gotten.  I'm sitting in my special chair now, and it's pretty much my whole world, sitting in my chair at my laptop.  15 months sounds like so little time!  The older I get, the faster time goes by, so it's so exciting to see your results!

Most Active
Recent Topics