Stalls and Exercise

Amy M.
on 4/3/15 6:05 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

So I want to lose about 30 more pounds. So close but so far away from goal. As i get closer to goal the weight loss is slowing down.  So I've decided to up the intensity of my workouts because my nutrition is spot on (for the most part).  I'm 8 months out so I've allowed myself to stray off plan a couple times but NEVER too far. I still have not had any bread, pasta, rice, etc. 

So anywho, I've started doing the 21 Day Fix beach body program. For those of you who are familiar with this program I want you to know that I'm still doing my same meal plan, not the plan that comes with the workout program. But I've been working my ass off for the past 3 weeks and I've only had a 4lb loss and that happened week 1. No loss at all from the last 2 weeks. I'm frustrated because I feel like I had the same progress just by walking 3 days a week. I know that muscle weighs more than fat but I'm not even in Onederland yet so I should still be seeing a significant weight loss. 

Have any of you experienced slowed weight loss due to increase in exercise? I still have so far to go and I'm starting to feel like I'm never going to get there. 

Grim_Traveller
on 4/3/15 6:24 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It's very common. Exercising hard creates damage to muscles, and you'l retain water as a result. You're still burning fat, but not losing weight.

A lot of times, people react to this by working out even harder, which just exacerbates the situation.

Keep exercising, it's good for you. It all evens out over time. Eventually your body will let go of the water.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Noragretz
on 4/4/15 2:34 pm
VSG on 09/05/14

Well I'm 7 months out and I have had very slow loss for months.  3 in December, 2 in January, 2 February. Meanwhile I'm busting my a$$ in the gym, running 3-4 miles every other day and weight lifting and more cardio the other days. Huge calorie deficits, and stalling for weeks at a time.  I sent my food log and my exercise log to my nutritionist.  And I got lectured! The high cardio causes you to stress your body increasing cortisol.  And even though my calories were 900-1000 I still wasn't eating very well.  I had to clean up my eating, I was told no fruit for 4 weeks. And only do weight lifting.  Keep my heart rate in the 40-60% range no higher.  (220-your age, x .6) less than 15 grams of sugar and less than 25 carbs.  

Ive now lost 6 lbs in 3 weeks.  Watch the exercise, it may be causing your stalls, and your sugar and carb intake.  

Outpatient VSG 9/5/14

with Dr. Umbach  in Henderson NV

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 4/4/15 10:03 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

I am no expert in exercise but I am starting to think that while normal exercise is great for you unquestionably, for me it has little to do with weight loss. Once you get into serious professional level athletic training it is another story with muscle mass and body fat % and all that. But regular 3-5 times at the gym cardio and weights routine does not impact on my weight one way or another. I have done pretty much zero exercise for the last year and have maintained exactly the same weight by watching my food and adjusting if there is even a minor fluctuation. Of course YMMV as everyone is different.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Laura in Texas
on 4/4/15 11:14 pm

Check your portion sizes. Get out the food scale and measuring cups. Food intake is much more important to weight loss than exercise.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Tracy D.
on 4/6/15 1:16 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

^^^ What Grim said!  I've posted so many times on this topic that I probably sound like a broken record.  OH needs to post this as a sticky at the top of the page so I can stop typing it every time :-) 

Every time a person starts or increases the intensity of an exercise program, THEY WILL RETAIN WATER!  A half-gallon of water weighs 4 lbs.  With exercise you are creating a ton of inflammation at first (that's why you feel tight and sore - inflammation).  The body automatically reacts by hanging onto every single ounce of fluid to cushion and feed those sore muscles.  

It takes a good 3-4 weeks of regular exercise for your body to realize you're not trying to kill it.  Then - and only then - will it release the excess water.  And only if you are drinking enough to do that.  This means at least 100 of water a day - at least!

Also, please understand that exercise isn't about losing WEIGHT - it's about losing FAT!  And the worst measurement of fat loss is the bathroom scale.  Just because the scale isn't moving doesn't mean that exercise isn't working.  

You exercise for heart/lung health and to make your muscles bigger and stronger.  You exercise to increase muscle mass (although that's tough on our limited calories).  Stop thinking you exercise to lose WEIGHT - cuz you're not.  You're exercising to get healthier so that when you finally reach maintenance you'll be able to maintain that weight easier.  THAT is what exercise is really for - to more easily maintain a healthy body weight.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Amy M.
on 4/6/15 10:02 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

Thank you all for your responses!! I did some more research on the subject and while most of it relates to cardio and I'm doing a mix of cardio and strength, everything you've said makes sense.  I appreciate the help!

Most Active
Recent Topics