Exercise is a Four Letter Word

kellybelly333
on 4/2/15 1:24 am - Toronto, Canada

I hated running, in high school, before surgery, after surgery, after reaching goal weight. Then I decided I wanted a challenge and that was to keep on running so I could race. When I changed my mind about running, and came up with a positive reason to run, I started enjoying it. I LOVE running now. 

With that said, there are many MANY other types of exercise that you might enjoy. Running isn't the be all and end all of exercise. Lift, cycle, swim...just MOVE!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

SATXVSG
on 4/2/15 1:29 am - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

Running is not at the top of my list of fun things to do.  If only I could think of something else that I could do for 30 minutes that would get my heart rate up and all sweaty.

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

Tracy D.
on 4/2/15 5:37 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Here's something that nobody else has mentioned:  when you start a new exercise regimen, guess what happens?  THE SCALE STALLS!  Pretty much your body goes into shock, your muscles scream in agony and your body appropriately hangs on to every single ounce of water to cushion the ensuing inflammation.  It can take several weeks of regular exercise activity for the inflammation to die down and for the scale to move downward.  And in the meantime it might actually go up!  

I'm just warning you so you don't freak out and stop exercising because "this **** doesn't work".  Exercise isn't how you lose weight in the first place.  Exercise is how you increase your lung/heart health and maintain muscle while you're losing fat (notice I said "fat" and not "weight" - two different things).  If you're lucky you might even build some muscle so that you burn more calories while you're sitting still.  But exercise in and of itself will NOT get you to goal.  That comes down to what you put in your mouth every single day. 

Don't get me wrong - I'm not bashing exercise.  Exercise is a great tool for maintaining your weight after you hit goal.  And it's definitely easier to get in the habit now rather than wait until later.  But choosing an exercise you hate because you think it's going to help you lose weight?  That's completely insane thinking.    

If you want to lose fat (which is the goal here) then look at lifting weights or some other type of bodyweight/resistance training.  That will get you to goal much faster than focusing solely on cardio.  If you want to throw in a couple mile runs per week for heart/lung health then so be it.  But don't make it the cornerstone of your exercise program.  

My two cents....and my biceps and bodyfat percentage are proof that my way works 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

marymo362
on 4/2/15 11:53 am
RNY on 03/18/14

"they say" 21 days make a good habit. If you want to run, go for it! Try to think about the time you are running as meditation and your alone time. 

H/W: 312 S/W: 280 C/W: 196 Surgery date: 3/18/2014

Modest_Phoenix
on 4/2/15 1:50 pm

I hate running.  If I never run I''d be OK with that.  Honestly, I hate most exercise and sweating. Good Lord I hate to sweat.  I'm under the impression the point is to get your body to be more active after WLS. 

I LOVE dancing and I have a keen interest in self defense martial arts. Those are going to become my means to an end. I also enjoy walking, not power walking so much as a stroll around the neighborhood or an easy walking/hiking path in a park.  

Do you like basketball?  Tennis? Biking? Swimming?  Hacky sack? Softball?  Dodge ball? Soccer? Weight lifting? Calisthenics? Yard work?  House work?  Walking? Yoga? Pilates?  Cross fit? Zumba?  Skiing? Canoeing or kayaking?  Hiking?  Roller skating?

Go have some FUN!  Life is too short to spend energy on doing something you hate when you have options. 

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

Stacy_WLS
on 4/2/15 10:47 pm

Random thoughts:

I was a multi spot collegiate athlete and I hate running.  Now I love it.

exercise doesn't make me lose weight - eating right does.

exercise is good for long term health and being happy (imho) find something you love.  

Running while still heavy is not good for your joints

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Tracy D.
on 4/3/15 1:18 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

ElizaM
on 4/3/15 3:39 am
VSG on 07/24/14

IMO (but I think others here will agree), exercise is for mental health, general health and well being, NOT for fat loss. 

I exercise for the sense of accomplishment, for the pleasure of being strong and buff, for the fun of being outside and the joy of moving. I run because it's fun for me, or I just wouldn't do it.

I manage what I eat to lose weight.

I often go 2-3 weeks without losing a lb, then lose 4-6lbs in a week. Whether or how much I exercise doesn't seem to change my rate of loss (and as Tracy pointed out, might hinder it). 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Most Active
Recent Topics