Got my hospital check-in time . It's getting real. A few last minute questions.

Cheezczar
on 3/25/15 1:58 am
VSG on 03/26/15

So I'm checking in at 11 am, not sure if the surgery time is changed from 1pm or not. 

On my last post I asked about being able to stay by myself. And though everyone said I'd be fine my Mom has decided to stay for a week, which actually make things more stressful. 

So the questions: 

So how long did you guys stay on the hospital? 

What did you pack clothes wise ? I know I'm going to be in a gown, so do I need more then one pair of clothes? Do you wear underwear while in the gown, so i need to pack extra just in case?

What was it like the first few days. Did you just sleep a lot ? Try to get fluids in and wal****asionally? How much could you walk before you got tired at first. 

I'm getting 2-3 weeks off at work, which is a desk job. Why are people out so long? Is it just pain so it's hard to concentrate? Exhaustion ? I'm asking as I have some social activities I do (Table top gaming), which isn't very strenuous.  When do you think I might be feeling like doing that for a few hours? 

I've been joking about not coming back to get over the fear of the very small but real chance of death (I've never been under general anesthesia , and I didn't follow my pre-op diet as strictly as I should and have only lost 13.5 lbs) .

So anyway that what up with me. I'd say wish my luck, but i don't believe in luck (or prayers for that matter). So instead post encouraging words . 

I'll post after surgery or have some do it. 

Thanks,

Clint

emelar
on 3/25/15 2:06 am - TX

Your surgery is probably still scheduled for 1 - they have you check in hours earlier to make sure all the paperwork is done, do any last minute testing, get IV set-up and all that stuff.  You can expect to check in, then be taken back to the prep area where you change into the gown, booties, and cap, get the IV, have your surgeon and the anesthesiologist come back and check on you, then get wheeled into the OR.  Then you wake up in recovery.

I stayed 24 hours.  My surgery was at 11 (I think), and I was up and walking that evening.  I wore home what I wore to the hospital.  You're not going to be there long, and you're not going to feel like doing much, so don't bring a lot of stuff.

It is MAJOR surgery.  Just because they do it with little incisions doesn't mean that there wasn't major disruption going on.  It takes time for the anesthesia to wear off, you have to be off pain meds to drive, and you have to rest.  On top of that, you have to get into the swing of your new eating/drinking routines.  It's all easier to do at home.

Best of luck.

PrayMore
on 3/25/15 2:19 am

The basic stay for VSG is one night. My surgeon does a barium swallow the next day before discharge. However, if you have a lot of nausea, you may stay for a second night. I did stay for a second night because of nausea, I don't tolerate the anesthesia or pain drugs well.

With that said, after the first day, I received no pain drugs and I didn't need them! Your incisions are sore and a bit painful getting up out of bed or chairs, but it's momentary. I took tylenol here and there.

I didn't use anything that I packed - stayed in the gown the entire time. I went home in my own clothes, just changed them before I left. Chap stick is a good option. Herbal teas for the hospital may help. My hospital gave me black tea with caffeine and I didn't take caffeine right at first. 

I think a week away from work is fine, but everyone is different! I could go up and down the stairs, shower, etc., with no trouble. You will need to focus on drinking enough fluids, following the program, so dedicated time away from work and just focusing on this is a good thing! When you graduate to different stages of the diet, you'll need to focus and take your time - this is good to have time away from work, but it's not totally needed. Resting is always good, too. You'll be a little fatigued, just getting over major surgery and having a liquid diet. You can't drive for the first week and you absolutely CAN NOT LIFT ANTHING that requires you to bear down. I took this as laundry detergent, case of water - anything! This is strict for the six weeks after surgery!  That is why having some help is good. You can't drive while taking pain meds, either. So that's is good to have help.

All of this, however, depends on how you personally do with the surgery! I was already walking three miles just 5 days out of surgery. Walk and sip, as everyone says, so that's what I was doing!

Best wishes! You'll be fine! This will all pass so quickly and soon enough, it'll be a distant memory. It gets easier every day and more normal every day! It's still the best decision I've ever made!

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

thallnc
on 3/25/15 2:26 am - NC
VSG on 02/18/15

So how long did you guys stay on the hospital? I was discharged around 2pm the next day.

What did you pack clothes wise ? I know I'm going to be in a gown, so do I need more then one pair of clothes? Do you wear underwear while in the gown, so i need to pack extra just in case? I took a baggie pair of shorts to wear under my gown so that when I got up and walked I didn't have to worry about covering up my back side. The clothes that I wore to the hospital are the same ones I wore home. Make sure you take some chapstick.

What was it like the first few days. Did you just sleep a lot ? Try to get fluids in and wal****asionally? How much could you walk before you got tired at first. I was up and walking about 2 hours after I woke up in recovery. I stayed with a friend the first night after I was discharged. I didn't really sleep that much but I stayed in their recliner all night because laying flat caused a lot of acid for me. I would get up every few hours and walk around a little. I also tried to sip as much water that I could.

Just stick with your plan and ask questions as you go. You will do great!!!

Height: 5'5" HW: 278.2; SW: 268.2; CW: 175.6

Maria27
on 3/25/15 2:30 am, edited 3/25/15 2:33 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I was in the hospital two nights, and that is standard for my surgeon (for VSG too). They wanted to make sure I was tolerating pureed food before they let me leave. The things I was glad I brought were chapstick, a hair brush, my phone and charger, and extra underwear. I was happy to put underwear under my gown before I went walking down the hallway. I would have been much less comfortable otherwise. It took a couple of days before I felt I had enough concentration to read more than a few message boards. I mostly watched tv while at the hospital when I wasn't sleeping or walking. I felt fine walking until I left the hospital and thought it would be no big deal to walk across the street to the pharmacy. That made me pretty tired, and I still had to get home after that! I've been getting better since I got home, but I still look forward to my afternoon naps. It will be over before you know it!

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

GoBlueGirl1998
on 3/25/15 3:13 am - MI

I was released 24 hours after surgery. They did the leak test & made sure I could tolerate liquids. I took a change of clothes to the hospital so that I had something clean to come home in. I took lose yoga pants & a sweatshirt. I was more than comfortable in that.

I slept normally, maybe and hour more at night. I usually sleep 7 hours a night and I found myself sleeping 8 the week after surgery. I was able to walk right away and tolerate everything so I think I had it pretty easy. I had surgery on a Friday, and the Sunday following surgery I drove myself and my Mom to church and I we went for 1/2 mile walk.

I had a week off of work and that was more than fine for me! I feel like I could have went back 5 days post op. I went to a football game the week after my surgery and I tailgated all day in addition to attending the game. I felt great! My energy level has been great and has gone up! No issues here!

I know everyone is different and I have read some stories where people have struggled a bit. I could my blessings that I felt so good and I was able to tolerate everything. With that being said, I walked as much as I could and got in as much water as possible. I think that contributed to me feeling so great!

Good luck & see you on the other side!

PS - walk, walk, walk & sip, sip, sip

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Sandy M.
on 3/25/15 3:59 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

The first couple of days you'll be sore.  My advice is to get up and walk as much and as often as you can - it helps dissipate the gas from surgery, which causes most of the pain.  The first week I took 2 naps a day, the following week 1 nap a day.  I was off pain meds before I left the hospital (they make me sick anyway).  

Get your mind in the game as soon as you wake up from surgery.  I had read and re-read all of the advice here and knew that walking was the best thing for the pain, so I surprised my nurses by asking to get up within hours of the surgery.  Know that you'll feel discomfort and pressure and it's much better if you don't get anxious about it.  Instead, focus on what you can do.  Believe it or not, my biggest challenge in the hospital was going without food or water overnight!  I got tired of sucking on ice chips!

Bring chapstick and your own pillow, along with your cell phone.  Come to the hospital in loose baggy clothing and slip-on shoes, and you can leave in the same.  

I didn't have anyone stay with me; I had previous surgeries and knew I would be fine.  But you'll be glad your Mom is there, even if it's just to run to the store for something you forgot!

At my hospital, they made me take off the underwear before surgery.  When you go out walking, they'll give you a big robe so that you don't expose yourself, although at that point you might not care!

You can do this!  You'll look back a year from now and realize that the surgery was the easy part.  Changing your entire life is the challenge - even good changes can be uncomfortable when we're used to hiding in our own skin.

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

mickeymantle
on 3/25/15 4:22 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

your so lucky I had to check in at 5:30 am for 7am surgery , I was lucky my surgery was possess to be the month before but I had a skin infection and it was postponed  for 1 month , the guy that took my place had to wait till after noon after getting all hooked up with the iv a 7 am the discovered they where missing a tool and had to wait till it was replaced and he had to sit there waiting for 5 hours 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

lianna
on 3/25/15 10:09 am - South, TX
VSG on 03/09/15 with

So how long did you guys stay on the hospital?  I was there for 2 nights.

What did you pack clothes wise ? I know I'm going to be in a gown, so do I need more then one pair of clothes? Do you wear underwear while in the gown, so i need to pack extra just in case?   I packed pretty light.  I wore yoga pants, loose top, flip flops there and wore them again home.  I took a pair of pajamas (drawstring capri type with T) and panties and put them on the first time I was out of bed, and was much more comfortable in them. 

What was it like the first few days. Did you just sleep a lot ? Try to get fluids in and wal****asionally? How much could you walk before you got tired at first.  I slept most of the first day, off and on.  I did get up and get walking within hours, and took a stroll down the hall about every 2 hours or so.  I was not given fluids at all the first day, just IV fluids.  The second day I was given ice chips.  The morning of release I got some juice, and sipped on VitaminWater Zero all the way home and the rest of that day.  It was all easy recovery after that day, just needing more sleep than normal.  The first 2-3 days were very tough, but got MUCH easier daily.  Exponentially easier.  I walked around a Flea Market for 2 hours on my 5 day post op, and I was able to go back to work after a week. 

We do all have different pain tolerances, and heal at different rates.  You will have to see how you feel regarding your social activities... you might just be ready to get out of the house for a while by the end of that first week!

Lianna   lapband 2005, removed 2014.  VSG 3/9/15

Laura_S
on 3/25/15 2:41 pm
VSG on 03/17/15

So how long did you guys stay on the hospital? 

-Two nights. My doctor offered to let me go a day earlier, but my insurance covered two nights so I wanted to stay with the professionals as long as I could.

What did you pack clothes wise ? I know I'm going to be in a gown, so do I need more then one pair of clothes? Do you wear underwear while in the gown, so i need to pack extra just in case?

-The only extra clothes I used was a fresh pair of underwear when I discharged and I used a robe I brought while I walked (but you could just put another gown on backward). I didn't wear underwear under my gown, but one could if they felt uncomfortable as long as they don't have a catheter, which I didn't. 

What was it like the first few days. Did you just sleep a lot ? Try to get fluids in and wal****asionally? How much could you walk before you got tired at first. 

-I slept a lot at first. I walked a lap around the hospital floor a few times a day while I was there. At home I just walked around the house (to the bathroom, to refill my water pitcher, etc.) I was tired from healing and having very few calories. However, you can't sleep all the time because it takes a lot of time to get all the fluids in when you can only drink an ounce at a time. Today I took a two hour nap and I'm still catching up on water, but now it's easier because I can tolerate a bit more/faster. :)

I'm getting 2-3 weeks off at work, which is a desk job. Why are people out so long? Is it just pain so it's hard to concentrate? Exhaustion ? I'm asking as I have some social activities I do (Table top gaming), which isn't very strenuous.  When do you think I might be feeling like doing that for a few hours? 

-I'm not two weeks out yet, but I could easily do a non-strenuous activity for 2-3 hours. I've been up and shopping at Walmart and the grocery with no problem. I'm taking a month off mostly to get in the routine of what I'm supposed to be eating when, but I think you'll be fine with that much time off from a desk job.

I've been joking about not coming back to get over the fear of the very small but real chance of death (I've never been under general anesthesia , and I didn't follow my pre-op diet as strictly as I should and have only lost 13.5 lbs) .

So anyway that what up with me. I'd say wish my luck, but i don't believe in luck (or prayers for that matter). So instead post encouraging words . 

-I also hadn't had general anesthesia as an adult so I was nervous about it too. I do tend to get nauseated easily so they gave me a scopolamine patch and nausea meds whenever I asked so I really had no problems that way. As far as the anesthesia I don't remember anything between being wheeled back to the OR and being wheeled into my room. Perfect, in my opinion. Also, I was nervous because I have a front tooth that is almost completely fractured and I was afraid it could get knocked out during intubation, but there was no problem. This is a major surgery, but your doctor wants it to be successful as much as you do. I hope everything goes well for you!

Laura

Ht: 5'6" HW: 254 SW: 225 CW: 180  VSG 3/17/15 with Dr. Matthew Rawlins

Most Active
Recent Topics