Kathy S.
on 3/30/15 3:36 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Kelly Jean
on 3/30/15 4:04 am
VSG on 04/08/14

Julia your a true inspiration. I have admired you for almost 1 year now ... dammmmmm I'm almost 1 year out wow !!! I've been on maintenance since month 7 and this is much more tricky then loosing !! But so far so good !!! I've managed to keep it all off and I'm in a size 2 or some 0's wow what a ride !!! People like you have made this journey so much easier for me thank you your beautiful inside and out :-*  !!!

♡ Kelly 

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 3/30/15 9:04 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Daymmmm gurrl!!! Size 2 and 0??!! Who is the inspiration? You did this like a pro. Keep at it and don't fall into the trap of thinking that it is over. It will never be over and sometimes I am sad about that but most of the time I accept it as my reality and I am OK with it. Just never let the guard down.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/30/15 9:19 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Julia, you are truly an inspiration.  I have loved watching your progress and value all wisdom you care to impart.  Congratulations on your success and continued dedication to a healthier life in the future  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

jubjub
on 3/30/15 12:00 pm - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

Congrats on your continued and well-deserved success!

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

glamlamb
on 3/31/15 4:41 am
VSG on 01/19/15

thank you so much for sharing! it is great hearing about what methods and mindsets worked for you, now that you have longer term perspective.  doing great!  

Spencerella
on 4/4/15 2:54 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Congrats Julia!  It's wonderful to hear about your successes while keepin' it real, so to speak. And like you, I see success as all about how we play the long game.

I indulged my way up two pounds in December and it's been very difficult to get/keep them off since then. They come off they come back they come off they come back.  Vigilance is a key strategy that we must apply every day. As is use of the scale! 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

CdngirlinNC
on 6/10/15 6:20 am

Hi Julia,

It was great to read your post.  As always you have a realistic view of this journey and your place in it.  I would say your gala meal was quite impressive!  I am almost one year post surgery and still have significant restriction.  I wonder if that will change?  I am also still very aware of my tummy.  It hasn't just become a part of my body I don't really think about like before the surgery.  I feel it - am aware of it.  You also?

My diet is perhaps not so typical for bariatric patients.  When I eat meat/poultry/seafood of any kind I can handle about 2.5 to 3.0 oz and that is all I can eat.  There is no room for anything else.  Woman cannot live on protein alone so I don't focus on those foods but eat things like veggies and hummus or a small plate of fruits with cheese and nuts and boost protein requirements with a daily shake, and of course my daily yogurt.  I am much more comfortable with a salad of quinoa and tomatoes and feta than with a piece of chicken for sure.  Meat/poultry is not my friend (doesn't feel good) so I have to look to other foods for a protein punch that give me good nutrition as well.

I have just recently been wondering if this will be my reality for the rest of my life - whether my experience now at one year post surgery represents how it will be always.  I would like to be able to eat anything I want but just in smaller quantities and feel comfortable but that is not the case for me.  I used to love good bread and a nice piece of grilled meat or poultry but now I have absolutely no desire at all for foods such as bread, rice, pasta and never eat them as a result.  I feel an actual aversion to these foods.  Not such a bad thing I guess.  The point is, though, that my tummy will not tolerate these foods, which I find rather interesting so I just honour that.  

I feel that my sleeve is working as it should - giving me clear signals of when I have had enough.  It is speaking clearly to me that certain foods will not be tolerated and I never desire something that won't be of any benefit to me nutritionally.  So it's okay - it's just still very restrictive.  But I'm adaptable and I'm being successful at reaching my goals (8 lbs from goal) so I just try to go with the flow and stay mindful of nutrition.  Not being such a gym person I walk and bike every day and feel pretty darn good!

I am grateful that I can still enjoy a glass of wine and nice plate of cheese and grainy crackers with some grapes or other fruit - ah heaven!  

As always I wish you the very best.  

Trudy

VSG 07/07/14

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 6/10/15 6:39 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Hi Trudy! Great to hear from you as well and see that you are doing really well at one year post op! I would say that no, I don't really feel my tummy now but honestly can't remember if I did or didn't at one year. And I can eat anything and tolerate everything well. Even the forbidden foods! It is good and bad at the same time. But so far I am managing well. And I still love meat, fish and poultry. No problems with that. If I eat 3-4 oz of that I am good for hours and also there isn't much room for anything else after that. I do vary though as veggies and some fruit is important. 

Keep well and keep at it! You are almost there by the looks of your ticker! Congrats!!!

Julia

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Most Active
Recent Topics