Struggling and Slow at 6 months post-op

Rena K.
on 3/23/15 5:01 am - Hillsboro , MO

Hi I am Rena. I had VSG on 8-25-14. I am down 102 pounds. Off all meds except mood lifter.

I have been struggling for the past several months (ever since I had gallbladder removal) with how slow I am now losing weight. I lost 75 pounds within first 2.5 months. I realize the bad gallbladder made me so nausious that I didn't even want to drink water; thus 2 trips to ER for dehydration. However; I did not think it would be this drastic a difference.

I feel that I am eating as required - as minimal calories as possible to get 50 protein per day. I have my RDI set at 700 (aiming to get under 700 calories per day). I fail, nearly every day. I usually am getting 775 to 850 per day. At this caloric intake I am losing maybe 1 pound per week. I have lost only 2 pounds in the past 20 days. So frustrated.

Can some of you that are further down the road give me any advise? The dietitian at my surgeon's office says that this calorie goal is appropriate.

Thank you.

5'2" - 46 - female - 325 HW, 223 CW

Tracy D.
on 3/23/15 5:05 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I have some big questions about what you're eating if you are getting only 50 grams of protein a day and still coming in with those calories.  Can you give us a sample of your daily menu?  

Protein intake should be 80 grams per day at this far out, no excuses.  Carbs should be kept to 40 or under for optimal weight loss (if that's your goal) and you should be drinking at least 80 oz. of water a day.  

Let's see if your daily menu is meeting these targets first.  Then we can offer more advice.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

mickeymantle
on 3/23/15 6:08 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

protien should be 65-80 gm based on your high and build

700-800 cal a day is a very common goal

I am a slow loser and lose 5 lb most months , it slows down after you lose a lot the first few month , there is less of you to burn the cals

everyone loses at a different pace , age, genetics, activity level all effect your lose

the  mood lifter  could be slowing your lose you need to talk to your doctor about if any drugs your take effect weight lose or gain

I gained 100 lb in 9 months pre op on Actos , Lithium  is known to course weight gain 

you must measure and track anything that goes into your mouth everything don't try to estimate most people are way off

a food scale and a measuring cup are your best friend and track using an app like myfitnesspal.com 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Rena K.
on 3/23/15 6:51 am - Hillsboro , MO

The dietitian told me to get between 50 and 80 grams of protein per day. It is a struggle most days to get the minimum of 50. I have stopped all protein supplements (shakes and bars), except on rare occasion as a meal replacement while on the run.

I do not get much exercise (bad knees). Only allowed to bike and swim (no pool access at this time). I do not get on my bike everyday, but read something today that makes me want to. So I will be seeing what difference that makes.

I think I probably eat too much fat:

B-fast     scrambled egg with .25 oz sharp cheddar

lunch      2 oz lunchmeat (deli turkey or roast beef), 1 slice cheese (various kinds)

dinner    small portion of whatever I make for my husband

or -  1 cup cereal (non-sweet variety) with .25 cup 2% milk

or - one chicken tenderloin, sauteed in olive oil, plus a couple bites of a veggie (broccoli, cauliflower)

snack      trying to control old habits of raiding pantry and fridge when get home from work, before having dinner;  during work hours I sometimes have 4 oz cottage cheese 4% or hard boiled egg or partial container of yogurt

desert   25 calorie (no sugar added) Edy's Outshine fruit bar

I believe I need to see a different nutritionist - not satisfied with the answers from current one.

5'2" - 46 - female - 325 HW, 223 CW

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/23/15 6:56 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I think the cup of cereal should be reconsidered.  It's high in carbs.  What type of yogurt are you eating?  If you're struggling to get enough protein in, I would add a protein shake back into your diet.  

I don't think your problem is too many fats. 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Stacy_WLS
on 3/23/15 10:37 am

the calories aren't really adding up here..

scrabbled egg w/ cheese ~150

2oz meat w/ slice cheese ~150

dinner -- this could vary alot but ~200 (even w/ cereal)

snack ~100

desert ~25

this is 625.  Are you eating other things routinely that aren't on here?  I would focus on the protein -- which you have here, but bulk up your meals w/ veggies.  

Definitely push to get your protein up.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

MegZorar
on 3/23/15 10:58 am

Would you consider a Greek yogurt instead of the Outshine bar for desert? Light & Fit makes an 80-calorie variety with about 12 grams of protein. It's more calories than the Outshine, but probably less sugar too. And definitely more protein. For me, it's a great bang for the caloric buck.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/23/15 7:49 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Whoa you want to get under 700 calories a day? Wow, for me I get most unpleasant & pretty snappy if I go lower than that. You lost really quick in the beginning then your body slowed down.  Most people slow down the further out from surgery they get. I'm not much further out than you & I've slowed down, but I expected it.

My nutritionist doesn't have me counting calories, carbs, etc. I use it more as a guideline. My plan requires me to get at least 80g of protein, preferably from dense protein, followed by carbs from veggies first, then fruit, along with my vits & water requirements.

Maybe the plan you're on doesn't work for you & might have to tweak the numbers., i.e upping your protein, water etc., as you move along you might have to change the numbers, or maybe this is how your body loses the weight, slowly, frustrating for sure, but this is a long process.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

iloveravens
on 3/24/15 12:21 am
RNY on 08/13/14

You might just need to be patient.  I had my first stall between months 5-6.  But it picked back up again...I'd give it a few more weeks before worrying too much.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Most Active
Recent Topics