bad day

Emily T.
on 3/22/15 1:38 am

I've been having my shares of ups & downs. Psychatrists & psychologists don't work for me. They don't make me feel revalation, or help me work through my stress, and partly because I probably just don't give in to it. I have my happy days of, I made such a great decision, my life is getting better. I'm losing weight, slowly, but surely. Then I have my bad days, "why did i do this?" I am losing weight too slowly, why did I think the weight was going to come off any faster, I could have lost this much just on my own, and maybe have kept it off. I can eat whatever I want, and I could eat whatever I wanted before. It's all about discipline. Did I think anything different? Probably, possibly. A million thoughts running through my head. A love hate relationship with the scale. A love hate relationship with working out, and not eating a piece of chocolate. I'm just aggervated. A true second guesser by nature, maybe things will get better & maybe they wont. We'll see.

Gwen M.
on 3/22/15 1:43 am
VSG on 03/13/14

One of the things I started doing a month ago, shortly before my dad's cancer spread to his brain - so I've had a crazy amount of crap going on since then, was to start meditating.  I got the Headspace app and started using it every night before I went to bed.  It's 10 minutes a day - the first 10 sessions are free.  

It's been really amazing.  I haven't been able to see my therapist much this month due to my dad's health, but I can do Headspace anywhere.  I recommend it.  Just being more mindful helps immensely.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MegZorar
on 3/22/15 4:56 am

For me, it helps to use some of the Weigh****chers strategies that helped me lose weight in the past. Why can't you have a piece of chocolate? And will you live out the rest of your days never letting chocolate or foods you love cross your lips? I know myself well enough to not delude myself into thinking I'll spend the rest of my days in such austerity.

Some people here wag their finger at this approach. For me, moderation works. And freedom. If that's wrong or holds me back, I'm open to change down the road.

Try embracing the process, even the wretched scale. 

We, unfortunately, can't eat EVERYTHING we want. But I still believe we can have most things, maybe even ANYTHING we want and still be successful. Take it one meal, one choice, one decision at a time. Plan as much as possible to help make sensible choices.

Every Sunday I pack my meals for the week ahead, or else I sometimes get stranded with nothing sensible to eat. I also experiment with water and flavors so I look forward to hydrating my body. I make rules I don't break (always get in ALL the protein everyday), but also don't freak out if I want a bite of hot dog.

That works for my body and mental wellbeing.

Good luck to you.

P.S.: I too feel that therapy didn't work for me. And I tried it A LOT. But hey, some people swear by it. Do what WORKS for you. That's the trick. Honestly ask yourself whether or not a strategy or an approach leads you in the right direction. 

All the best.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/22/15 6:27 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Many people often end up "trying" several counselors before finding one who's a good fit, both in terms of personality and in therapeutic approach. Perhaps it's worth trying to chat with another to see if you can find someone you get along well with?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics