Not enough water!

Linda Paro
on 3/17/15 2:45 am - Seneca, KS

I had surgery on Feb. 27th and my biggest problem is that I can't seem to be able to drink enough water.  Before surgery I was able to drink at least 64oz. of water and now I'm lucky if I get in 30 oz.  Any suggestions?

Linda

momsy55
on 3/17/15 6:00 am - ME

Water is best, but at the beginning, it can be difficult.  Try different temps and beverages.  Early out I found icy cold and hot worked best.  Suck on sugar free popsicles - 2 oz. each, but they add up.  Try hot broths, herbals teas, etc.  Find what goes down the best and use that.  It will get better as your sleeve heals.  It's essential to get in enough fluids to not dehydrate. 

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

ipray
on 3/17/15 6:08 am
VSG on 11/06/14

Several things helped me. I used a timer. You can use phone, oven or egg timer.  I got a cheap/small one from Amazon.  I timed every 10-15 minutes to drink because I would forget. then used it to time 30 minutes before and after meals.  (I am 5 months out and don't use it as much, as you get into the habit of drinking). I also drink at room temperature instead of cold.  I drink V8 Diet Splash straight or you can dilute it with water. You may want to have a SF popsicle once or twice a day. I use a water bottle that is 20 oz.  I drink 20 oz 3 times a day and add the extra 5 ozs before bed for 65 oz.  (I have breakfast, drink 20 oz, have lunch, drink 20 oz then have dinner, drink 25 oz.) It does get easier. And I am sure others will chime in with some good ideas. Good luck to you!    

luvmypuggies
on 3/17/15 7:02 am

I would echo the suggestions already made. It is difficult at first, but part of it is just developing the habit of sipping all day long, and the other part is finding the liquids that sit well with your tummy.  I found that adding a little splash of fruit juice (apple, cranberry, whatever you like) to my large room-temperature water bottle was really helpful.  I thought it would taste awful because it was so diluted, but my tastes had changed and it was delicious and refreshing.  

Also, try pushing yourself to do just one extra sip each time you drink - it took me several months, but I gradually worked up from one sip at a time to five or six.  Sounds silly, but counting sips worked for me.  I'm watching my sugar/carbs, so plain water is what I stick with now (along with lots of coffee and sugar-free hot cider), but the juice helped get me through the first couple of months.

Good luck! :)

Gwen M.
on 3/17/15 7:03 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Try different liquids and temperatures.  Set at timer to go off every 15 minutes and sip!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

psychoticparrot
on 3/17/15 8:37 am

Hi Linda,

If you're having trouble drinking enough liquids because your stomach feels queasy, ask (demand if necessary) your surgeon to prescribe Zofran or some other anti-nausea medication.

I was sleeved on Feb. 2 and had the exact same problem drinking water and other liquids, hot or cold. Four weeks later I was in the ER with severe dehydration and a very bad kidney infection. My surgeon prescribed Zofran, and now I can drink at least close to the recommended 64 oz. 

Please don't let the liquid issue slide. It's critical to keep yourself well hydrated, for more rapid healing if for nothing worse.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Linda Paro
on 3/17/15 10:41 am - Seneca, KS

Thank you so much.  I gave been afraid of dehydration but didn't know if this was normal.  It feels like my stomach can't hold enough water.  I will contact her right away.

Valerie G.
on 3/17/15 11:46 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

You are working yourself into some serious trouble, so today is a new day for you to reach that goal.  Everything wet and decaf counts.  If you have fed your caffeine monster - you will need twice the amount of the caffeinated beverage.  You've probably noticed that nothing gives any particular pleasure - so aim at what sucks less. Try different flavors and temperatures. Carry a cup with you everywhere and sip all of the time. 

This is your FT job right now.  It's hard and it sucks because you just don't feel like drinking, but do it because your body needs it.  Dehydration creates nausea and fatigue, which, of course, makes you want to drink even less.  It's a horrible cycle, so DRINK UP.  The next stop is kidney stones, and you DONT want those, right?

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Linda Paro
on 3/18/15 12:31 am - Seneca, KS

Does my protein drink count?  I don't drink anything with caffeine so I don't have to worry about that.  So are you saying that I shouldn't need another pill, just force myself to drink?

Valerie G.
on 3/18/15 1:13 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

If the pill you're speaking of is one for nausea, then you may only need to get rehydrated -- and YES, your protein drinks count towards fluids (everything wet).

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics