Can anyone recommend any good books on vgs

(deactivated member)
on 3/20/15 6:56 am

Maybe, but why would I lie about that, my dr gave me permission to hit  the gym 2weeks after surgery using only the elliptical. As of this week, I can do all and any exercise I want, infact he wants me to increase  what I had  been doing prior to surg. I will be at my gym 4 days a wk and I can lift again, and riding my and doing barn chores 3 days a wk some overlap. I  am very fit, I should post a pic.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/20/15 7:04 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If your doc gives you the thumbs-up, that's great.

Very few of us were "very fit" prior to surgery (much less "the girl at the gym everyone wants to be"). Generally speaking, that's NOT the type of person who chooses to have WLS. Hence the skepticism.

It's always nice to put a face to a name, if you do post a pic.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 3/20/15 7:19 am

I get it. And I understand what you are saying. I never encountered weight issues until I started taking SSRI's. Unfortunately I have to take them. I come from a very athletic family, all of us my brothers and sister, dad all sports minded. My niece is world champion 800 meter racer. It's how we were brought up. Now, imagine my disappointment, fit all my life at age 36 have a nervous break and need meds. It rattled me. But ok, I gained wt from the meds, I still work out, I always will, I get the endorphin boost. When I had my surg I was up  and walking within 4 hrs, yes walking with the iv pole, nurses kept saying how many times are you gonna pass this station. I was bored out of  my mind. The next morning I had to go down to the basement, my room was on the 4th floor and I refused to go in the elevator,  I don't like them and feel trapped so I walked down 5 flights of stairs with a nurse. I walked back up when radiology was done with a nurse. Got back to my room and again bored. Room mate slept forever, she woke up saw me going to the bathroom and said what in the world are you doing here, you don't need this surg. I may look fit, slim because Iam tall but the truth is I was 250 lbs, my dr said at the rate I was going, had I not had the surg, I probably would have  gained 16 more lbs so he even though I was disappointed with the loss, ppl were losing more, I'm ok with it and no more precancerous  cells in my stomach most important, mom died 1 1/2 yrs ago  from stomach cancer. So, it is, what it is. I will make the best of this. thanks for listening and your  comments. I can help ppl if they have fitness questions but I need pple like Gwen and yourself to help me plan good meals. huhhh.  have a good one gotta go eat, didn't finish my lunch. 

on 3/20/15 7:34 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I absolutely understand the SSRI issue; I have bipolar and I've been on meds since I was 17 (I'm 32 now). Hang in there.

(deactivated member)
on 3/20/15 11:23 pm

Finally someone who understands, did you gain wt on your meds, it's awful you need them to function but who needs the wt gain. I want you to hang in there too. One day at a time. Have a great day. Do you exercise?

on 3/21/15 3:32 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Yeah, I gained weight on pretty much every med I ever took. I first started when I was 17 and gained 50lb in six months, ugh. Sucks!

I've been doing the C25K, but I've been having some knee trouble-- I crashed my bike in September and tweaked my MCL. I do a fair bit of swimming instead, though, and I really enjoy it.

(deactivated member)
on 3/21/15 4:31 am

Yay, that's awesome, yep keep swimming til you are ready to hit the pavemt? Now you have done really, really well with your wls. Sending you a message.

(deactivated member)
on 3/20/15 12:23 am

ok thanks

(deactivated member)
on 3/20/15 12:27 am

thank you I do have 30 gm shakes in the house that my husband uses, it's called Premier. I can get that also. thank you

(deactivated member)
on 3/20/15 12:41 am

thank you all for your help. I have decided to follow Gwens lead because she is knowledgeable and has been so successful and willing to share. I think  I'll save the money I was gonna use on that book to by my 1st pair of boyfriend jeans. I can't wait for that day. Have a good day everyone. Off to shop rite, it's snowing here.

Most Active
Recent Topics