Frisco- Corned Beef & Cabbage !!!!

frisco
on 3/19/15 2:39 am

Well, I did my very first Corned Beef & Cabbage !!!

I love our traditional CB&C, an American Irish disn. My dad used to make it every St. Patrick's day.

Post VSG I pick it up every so often from a place in San Fran near my surgeons office called Tommy's Joynt.

I saw per-brined Corned Beef at the market and thought I'd give it a try.

Pretty simple, I did it in the Crock Pot........ place in pot, cover with water, cook on low for 11 hours.

Where I changed it up was in the cabbage. Normally you throw chunks or wedges into the pot for the last 1-2 hours or so.

Most times the cabbage is kind of soft and flavored like the meat and the whole dish is kinda one note.

I just chopped up raw cabbage and stir fried it with a tiny bit of salt and heavy hand of pepper.

This allows the meat to stand out, the cabbage supports meat, and I left a little crunch in the cabbage for a textural difference.

It was very enjoyable and will be at least a monthly thing now !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

shannon2128
on 3/19/15 2:45 am - Chicago, IL

Beautiful!  Will definitely try at home!

Live well, Laugh hard, Love harder...

30-ish, 5' 4", HW: 325, LW: 220, CW: 276, GW: 145

Pre-op: 14lb, M1: 21, M2:

momsy55
on 3/19/15 3:11 am - ME

Looks delicious!  I like the idea of cooking the veggies seperately, as I enjoy having different flavors and textures in a meal.  I also like that it stays a long time in the crockpot, as it is usually 10 hours between leaving the house in the morning and getting home.  Many recipes are for shorter amounts of time.  Thanks for sharing!

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

LK85
on 3/19/15 3:38 am
VSG on 12/30/14

Get in my tiny belly!!!! 

Looks spectacular!

sds0029
on 3/19/15 3:46 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Your presentation is lovely. 

(deactivated member)
on 3/19/15 3:51 am

I've made it every year - no getting around it. This year I made a raw dill and garlic kraut instead of traditional cabbage. Was awesome. Certainly much more flavorful than the boiled cabbage (blech!). I made a yogurt horseradish, too. Very tasty alternative to mustard.

Modest_Phoenix
on 3/19/15 4:30 am

Sounds and looks delicious.  My mom's corned beef and cabbage is my all time favorite meal.  It's one of the few meat dishes I really like and will crave.  She boils everything, but separately.  She does the meat first, then removes it, then the carrots and potatoes, removes them, and lastly the cabbage.  We like our veggies tender crisp around here so nothing is boiled to a mushy texture.  I bought the smallest brisket and smallest head of cabbage I could find and we still ate it for 3 days.  Yum.  Your recipes always sound so good.  You should make a WLS cookbook. 

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

ipray
on 3/19/15 4:41 am
VSG on 11/06/14

I am not big on corned beef and cabbage, but this sounds delicious! (I never thought about adding mustard, but that sounds like a great finish for me!) 

diane S.
on 3/19/15 4:48 am

fabulous. I am already thinking of lazy ways to do this like getting deli sliced corn beef and buying a container of raw kraut - Sonoma Brinery makes great ones.   diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Kathy S.
on 3/19/15 4:53 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

As my little Grandson would say "NUM, NUM, NUM"!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active
Recent Topics