Not new, but back again after a couple of years with some questions..

SleevieNicks
on 3/18/15 1:07 am

Hi everyone,

I can't find a search feature on this site anymore, so I'm just going to lay this all out here in the hopes that someone can help. Back in 11/2011 I had a VSG and over the next year I lost around 100lbs. Shortly after reaching that goal, three of my family member were diagnosed with cancer and I began having marital problems (read: lots of stress). I was not diligent in monitoring my food intake and although I still wasn't eating a lot, they were definitely the wrong foods to be eating.

In the spring of 2013 I began gaining a little weight and eventually gained back about 40lbs. That was so disappointing and I kind of gave up after that, up until the beginning of 2015. I was ready to get back on track and then I had to have my femur fractured and I have been either in bed, or on crutches with harsh limitations on what I can do for the past 2 months. I haven't gained any more weight, but I'm tired of this. 

I don't have a support system here (I live in Kansas City) because we moved from Kentucky and do not really know anyone here despite being here for 3 years. I'm a stay-at-home mom with a demanding child who only goes to school 3 short days a week. Also do not have a bariatric doctor here because no one would accept me as the "couldn't make money off of me". That's what I was told by the office staff of one surgeon. 

I am just looking for some guidance as to what I need to do to get back on track. I should be off my crutches soon (maybe today!) and want to get back to taking care of myself. Here are my questions:

• Should I start back on my pre-op diet?
  • Should I try again to find a bariatric doctor or just stick with my GP?
  • Will my sleeve work again for me after I've not used it to my advantage for so long?

Thanks for any help you can offer! I'm so lost.

Gwen M.
on 3/18/15 1:33 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The search is hidden in the little magnifying glass in the top right corner.  (No one else can find it either, so don't feel bad!)  

I would work on getting back to your basics.  Your sleeve is still there and it will still work for you.  You've just got to make it work!  You should be good for follow ups with your PCP - regular blood work being the main thing to keep on top of.  

If you aren't right now, I'd suggest that you start logging every single thing you put into your mouth with something like MyFitnessPal.  That'll let you see what you need to tweak going forward.  Here are my basics, yours might be slightly different!  

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs, especially the refined and processed ones
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
5. Avoid liquid calories (breakfast protein shake is the exception)
6. Weigh portions, log everything consumed
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
8. Move as much as possible
9. Weigh myself daily
10. Be kind to myself (this includes things like seeing a therapist every week and getting monthly massages)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

emelar
on 3/18/15 1:36 am - TX

Gwen has summed it up pretty well.  There's really no need to go on the liquid diet, unless you enjoy suffering.  Once you de-carb and de-sugar yourself, you'll discover that your restriction is working just fine.  Keep to the mantra - dense proteins first, no drinking with or after meals.  Best of luck!

Tracy D.
on 3/18/15 2:22 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I would follow Gwen's advice on the meal plan -- don't try and go back to pre-op liquid only.  Having to do that would put me over the edge!  

As for the doctor, a good internist or family practice doc that is familiar with WLS patients is probably good enough.  

And yes, your tool is still there and will work -- you just got to get it back in shape.  Best of luck to you -- you've been through some crappy times so I hope life is looking up! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

SleevieNicks
on 3/18/15 2:41 am

Thanks so much, all of you! And I really appreciate that tip on the search! I was so frustrated a few nights ago I just clicked off of the page :) 

I have MFP, but rarely use it. Looks like it's time to dust that app off! 

Looking forward to getting back into it and getting to know some of you. Thanks again!

siueteacher
on 3/18/15 8:19 am

I am pre-surgery and fairly new to this site.   What is MFP?

siueteacher
on 3/18/15 8:20 am

I am pre-surgery and fairly new to this site.   What is MFP?

siueteacher
on 3/18/15 8:22 am

what it MFP?

(deactivated member)
on 3/18/15 11:38 am

My Fitness Pal. It's an app for the smart phone.

b4dawncindy
on 3/19/15 10:24 pm

Hi, I just posted today after so many months away from here = no support, which wasn't very wise of me :-(

My VSG was May 1, 2014 so I'm close to a year out.  Maybe we can do this together since we're both "starting over" so to speak.  It's encouraging to read on here that we still have our "tools" in place and that it will still work!

Okay now let's get to work - you and I CAN do this!  You're in Kansas and I'm in Montana and we don't have the support next door, LOL, but we have a lot of great buddies on here!

I challenge you to check in on here daily and I'll do the same - we CAN and WILL do this for ourselves beginning NOW.  Good luck, have a great day and I'll "see you" on here every day :-)

Most Active
Recent Topics