How has your diet changed since getting the VSG?

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/17/15 8:28 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

To answer your question, my diet has changed 180 degrees since VSG.  I used to eat junk food every day.  Now I prepare meals for myself daily and eat fresh, not processed foods.

There are no foods that I can't eat or drink anymore.  People who have the RNY (about 30%) will experience dumping syndrome from eating sugary foods.  The VSG doesn't have the same reaction to foods and hence no dumping, except for very rare cir****tances.

The surgery will not change your brain.  Only you can do that.  This is truly a lifestyle change for the rest of your life.  There's no going back unless you want to regain the weight.  If you're an emotional or binge eater (I am), I recommend therapy, support groups, OA, etc. to find ways to deal with your food issues.  They won't magically disappear.

It takes a while after surgery, but you'll find the balance that works for you.  But I cannot stress how important working on your emotional issues can be.  Good luck!

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

bikrchk
on 3/18/15 3:33 am, edited 3/18/15 3:34 am

I can eat anything I like in small quantities, (other than soda which is a no no anyway. It just makes me uncomfortable so I avoid it. I choose protein first, but never counted carbs or fat. If I'm eating protein first there's just not enough room to over do it on the other stuff. I even do a sweet treat sometimes. The biggest difference in my diet is probably the high protein aspect, (not a tragedy, I'm a carnivore!) and the fact I tend to go for "real" food now, (real eggs, real butter, real sugar, rarely a substitute). As long as I don't over eat, these are no longer a problem.

Sweat is fat crying

Most Active
Recent Topics