How has your diet changed since getting the VSG?

LovinLora78
on 3/17/15 2:44 am
On March 17, 2015 at 7:42 AM Pacific Time, wyo_sarah wrote:

I can eat anything I want, but like most people on here, I chose to make healthier choices.  I'm 7.5 months post op and have surpassed by surgeon's goal and my first goal.  Right now I weigh about what I did when I was in a sophomore in HS when I started putting on weight.   I think I have more control when it comes to carbs and sweets than some people do.  I can sit down and eat two bites of a brownie and stop and be satisfied.  And I do.  If I cook something awesome for my family, like homemade bread last weekend, I will eat a half of a slice every couple of days.  For me it is a huge treat.  I don't eat regular store bought bread, only really good stuff.  I don't eat store bought sweets either.  Only really yummy homemade ones.  Or, if I feel like I need chocolate I buy a really expensive but super awesome chocolate bar, keep it in the cupboard and eat a tiny square when I feel like I need it.  (Usually during PMS.)  But, I have the self control to stop.  I don't have any foods that make me sick and throw up, although I have thrown up twice because I over ate.

I have to learn self control...Whether it's with the VSG or any diet I place myself on. That is my downfall

Tracy D.
on 3/17/15 1:08 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I can pretty much eat anything now that I ate before.  The only thing I have problems with is pasta...and there's really no good reason for me to eat it anyway.  I tried it a couple times and it swelled too much and caused extreme pain.   Never again...

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

ald731
on 3/17/15 1:13 am
VSG on 04/07/14

To answer your post title question - it has changed in every way imaginable. But not because my stomach doesn't "let" me eat anything. Pre-op, I was a carb fanatic and bought into the "low fat" mindset; I was perpetually on a diet/binge cycle. I now eat a ketogenic diet - no grains, sugar, or starches - and don't fear fat. I feel fantastic and don't miss the carbs much at all, nor do I feel deprived. In fact, whenever I do eat a special treat (like my mom's key lime cake - my pre-op fave), it really doesn't do anything for me anymore.

April:  HW- 323, SW-310, CW-159 (as of 9/25/15), Goal- 140; Pre-op (-13), M1 (-17), M2 (-16), M3 (-14), M4 (-13), M5 (-12), M6 (-8), M7 (-12), M8 (-8), M9 (-8), M10 (-5), M11 (-7), M12 (-5), M13 (-7), M14 (-0), M15 (-1), M16 (-5), M17 (-5)

LovinLora78
on 3/17/15 2:49 am
On March 17, 2015 at 8:13 AM Pacific Time, ald731 wrote:

To answer your post title question - it has changed in every way imaginable. But not because my stomach doesn't "let" me eat anything. Pre-op, I was a carb fanatic and bought into the "low fat" mindset; I was perpetually on a diet/binge cycle. I now eat a ketogenic diet - no grains, sugar, or starches - and don't fear fat. I feel fantastic and don't miss the carbs much at all, nor do I feel deprived. In fact, whenever I do eat a special treat (like my mom's key lime cake - my pre-op fave), it really doesn't do anything for me anymore.

if you can eat anything..why are you on a ketogenic diet?

molfish62
on 3/17/15 4:27 am
VSG on 03/07/15

Lots of people eat paleo or keto diets after surgery because it's low in carbs & high in protein w/ lots of options. 

Molly

VSG on 3/7/15. 

Add me on myfitnesspal: molfish6 

LovinLora78
on 3/17/15 6:51 am
On March 17, 2015 at 11:27 AM Pacific Time, molfish62 wrote:

Lots of people eat paleo or keto diets after surgery because it's low in carbs & high in protein w/ lots of options. 

Thanks. I didn't know that. It is like I am addicted to carbs seriously

linison
on 3/17/15 3:43 am
VSG on 10/13/14 with

I've only had one instance where something REALLY didn't agree with me.  I was at a potluck and tried a couple of bites of something called bannoffee pie, which is basically a sugar bomb.  I got SO sick from that.  

Otherwise though, I CAN eat pretty much whatever, but the junk and the drive-thru don't hold the power over me that they used to.  I choose to make better choices now.

LovinLora78
on 3/17/15 6:49 am
On March 17, 2015 at 10:43 AM Pacific Time, linison wrote:

I've only had one instance where something REALLY didn't agree with me.  I was at a potluck and tried a couple of bites of something called bannoffee pie, which is basically a sugar bomb.  I got SO sick from that.  

Otherwise though, I CAN eat pretty much whatever, but the junk and the drive-thru don't hold the power over me that they used to.  I choose to make better choices now.

WTG!!!

Zee Starrlite
on 3/17/15 7:12 am, edited 3/17/15 7:13 am

From your past posts it seems like you are stuck on getting sick as a side effect from weight loss surgery.  Vomiting, pain in your gut, diarrhea, dibilitating gas, dumping, Anorexia, bulimia, indigestion, passing out, pants falling off of you in the middle of the street  . . . NO, None of this is the "norm", None!  I don't care if your co-workers who've had WLS in the past are as sick as dogs and skeletons, that is not the norm.  They should seek help.

I can eat everything, I mean anything BUT we are not supposed to - right!  Or we gain every single ounce we lost with weight loss right back.  Take your time, explore the boards.

And as for your last post - if your insurance approves weight loss surgery, they will approved the VSG.  10 years ago not!

I wish you the best.  As I said before, you will ABSOLUTELY NOT GET A FREE RIDE WITH WLS.  YOU WILL HAVE TO MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICES, YOU WILL HAVE TO EXERCISE, YOU WILL HAVE TO TAKE YOUR VITAMINS, YOU WILL HAVE TO DRINK YOUR WATER.  YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU and more and more the further post-op you are.

I wish you only the best.  I just want you to be realistic about WLS.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Friends K.
on 3/17/15 7:55 am
RNY on 01/14/14

I can but doesn't mean I should

i deploy even weightless trick in the book everyday.

it changes your stomach not your brain.

5'4" SW=285 PreOp=-13 (surgery @272#,1/14/14), 2week=-12 (260#), 1M=-20 (252#), 2M=-9.5(242.5#), 3M=-18 (224#), 4 M =-10 (214#), 5 M=-11 (202#) 6 M=-11(190.5), 7M=-7.5 (183), 8 M=-6 lbs (177) 9M=-5 (172) 10M=-7.5 (164.5#)

Most Active
Recent Topics