How has your diet changed since getting the VSG?

LovinLora78
on 3/17/15 2:40 am

the treats don't bother your vsg or the sweets?

Stacy_WLS
on 3/17/15 3:04 am

No.  I just stay away from them to maintain my weight.  If I eat too much then yes it bothers me.  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Kiwideb
on 3/16/15 12:45 pm
VSG on 01/19/15

I'm only a newbie at 8 weeks - red meat and I are beginning to shake hands again. Otherwise I've noticed Im not craving sugar as much. Carbs and I go head to head now and then (usually hormonal). I usually win ;)

Other than having to go cold turkey on soda, I've not found anything I can't eat, but lots of things I choose not to eat in favor of getting my protein in instead - I feel better when I do.

molfish62
on 3/16/15 1:16 pm
VSG on 03/07/15

So far - and this is super anal of me & I'm very early out - I keep a list of everything I've ingrsted besides water. In the notes app on my phone, I just list each new food with either a check mark or an x. I figure the x foods will be ones I try again in a few weeks or months & maybe will disagree with me for a long time. So far there are only two of those, though, because I haven't had much variety yet. 

Molly

VSG on 3/7/15. 

Add me on myfitnesspal: molfish6 

LovinLora78
on 3/17/15 2:42 am
On March 16, 2015 at 8:16 PM Pacific Time, molfish62 wrote:

So far - and this is super anal of me & I'm very early out - I keep a list of everything I've ingrsted besides water. In the notes app on my phone, I just list each new food with either a check mark or an x. I figure the x foods will be ones I try again in a few weeks or months & maybe will disagree with me for a long time. So far there are only two of those, though, because I haven't had much variety yet. 

how do you know it disagrees with you now? like what signs do you get? gas or too full feeling, pain or what?

molfish62
on 3/17/15 4:26 am
VSG on 03/07/15
On March 17, 2015 at 9:42 AM Pacific Time, LovinLora78 wrote:
On March 16, 2015 at 8:16 PM Pacific Time, molfish62 wrote:

how do you know it disagrees with you now? like what signs do you get? gas or too full feeling, pain or what?

I feel bloated & uncomfortable. My stomach, which I've named Chester the Molester, starts getting louder. It surprised me how quickly I realized the first time something didn't agree w/ me. 

It actually happened again this morning - tried a new protein shake/smoothie & within a couple sips I knew it wasn't gonna work for me today. 

Molly

VSG on 3/7/15. 

Add me on myfitnesspal: molfish6 

Zee Starrlite
on 3/17/15 7:19 am

she is just 10 days out.  Her stomach is not healed.  This is usually the easy ride because physically you just can't eat too much and to press things is to cause danger like rupture your stomach staple line.  The further out you are, the more you can eat.

Also at this point liquids in, liquids out - so you will notice this.  As soon as one begins to eat solids again, this changes.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/17/15 8:23 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Have you tried using an app like My Fitness Pal?  It also allows you to make food notes where you can document if you're having issues with certain foods.

Many people on these forums (myself included) use it religiously to track everything we eat.  It also can track water and exercise.  The best feature is that it calculates how much protein, carbs, etc. you've eaten that day.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

mmsmom
on 3/16/15 11:04 pm - Woburn, MA

I think motivation is a key factor in success.  I personally don't intend to never eat something considered "bad" again, but I certainly knew that during the weight loss stage I had to.  I would tell myself, "I can eat a cookie, just not today."  There will still be cookies on this Earth six months, 9 months, one year from now.   Also, once you get to a point where (if you chose) you add those items back into your diet, you have to acknowledge what you can eat in control.  I had a stage where I wanted a bagel, but eating 1/4 of a bagel cored out and toasted (that's about all I could eat) only made me want them more.  So off the list!  However, now I could eat it with no problem.  I am at goal and try to eat well but not deprive myself.  If I really want something and I'm saying REALLY want something, I have it.  I have added an iced coffee with whole milk into my morning and I enjoy it immensely. I know that it is a slippery slope and try to mindfully decide what to eat and still log my food and weight myself every day.  I worked to hard to throw it away.  Good luck with your decision.

VSG on 04/28/2014

wyo_sarah
on 3/17/15 12:42 am

I can eat anything I want, but like most people on here, I chose to make healthier choices.  I'm 7.5 months post op and have surpassed by surgeon's goal and my first goal.  Right now I weigh about what I did when I was in a sophomore in HS when I started putting on weight.   I think I have more control when it comes to carbs and sweets than some people do.  I can sit down and eat two bites of a brownie and stop and be satisfied.  And I do.  If I cook something awesome for my family, like homemade bread last weekend, I will eat a half of a slice every couple of days.  For me it is a huge treat.  I don't eat regular store bought bread, only really good stuff.  I don't eat store bought sweets either.  Only really yummy homemade ones.  Or, if I feel like I need chocolate I buy a really expensive but super awesome chocolate bar, keep it in the cupboard and eat a tiny square when I feel like I need it.  (Usually during PMS.)  But, I have the self control to stop.  I don't have any foods that make me sick and throw up, although I have thrown up twice because I over ate.

Most Active
Recent Topics