VSG revision

Chilipepper
on 3/16/15 9:55 am

If you need to go back to shakes then do it. They aren't the enemy. Make some egg salad or hard boiled eggs. Chicken or shrimp or Tuna salad. 

Grains will stop your weightloss and shouldn't even be a consideration. You need to bump up the protein and nick the carbs two under 30

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Ladytazz
on 3/16/15 2:53 am

Just because you eat small portions doesn't mean you can't eat often or more calorie dense foods.  Half of a cup of peanut butter doesn't take much room but it sure packs a punch when it comes to calories.

As far as revising to a DS, that is a personal decision but speak with your surgeon.  I had a sleeve previously and my GERD was terrible, even with 2 ppi's a day.  My pouch cured that completely.

I think what the other person meant to say is that the malabsorption fades by year 2 with a RNY, which is true.  But no matter what surgery you have the hard work is up to you.

Many have WLS thinking that their part is over, all they have to do is let their chosen surgery do the work.  I speak from experience when I say that isn't true for many, although I personally know people who have made no changes in their eating and managed to lose weight and keep it off for the most part.

That is the exception, not the rule.  Most long term maintainers have to watch what they eat, when they eat and the amount they eat to keep the weight off.

The surgery helps with that in that in most cases you can be satisfied with less food but there is more to losing weight and keeping it off then eating less, as you can see.

Before you go under the knife again, talk to your surgeon, get checked out to make sure all is how it should be, then find a nutritionist who can help you make the changes needed and don't stop there.  Find a counselor, support group or some way to address the food issues you may have that have kept you overweight even after WLS.

I hope I'm not sounding harsh.  I have been there.  Regain after WLS was one of the most humiliating experiences of my life.  Not only did everyone see me fail but in my mind it shut the door on the only hope I ever had to lose weight and it off.

Revision is serious business and while in my case I know it was necessary, it may not be so  in your situation.

Good luck to you.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

csamh
on 3/16/15 9:52 am

I am not looking to have another procedure, I was wondering if RYN was really the only way to rid reflux.  If I eat something like roast, it kills my gut so I stay away from foods that have that effect on me, which are several.  I don't like the heavy feeling that I get when I eat that type of meat, it doesn't cause reflux, and its uncomfortable.  

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/16/15 4:27 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Getting a revision is serious stuff right there, if you're considering rny because of serious gerd issues, you might need the revision. I have heard that ppl have revised because of that issue but you might have to pay out of pocket, some ins policies will only pay for 1 wls per lifetime, plus you might might not meet the bmi requirements if you're too small.

If you want a revision because you've stalled out, you might want to check out the back on track forum to get some pointers & support to get you going again.

Most people lose a lot of weight during the "honeymoon" period, it gets much harder the further out from surgery you are, old habits come back, more carbs creep back in, motivation wanes, etc. It sounds like you've thrown yourself into maintenance mode without realizing it. Eyeballing your portions is not the same as weighing them, you might be grazing. Eating small portions all day will stall you out & maybe pack the pounds back on. Track your foods & be brutally honest with yourself, you might be eating more than you think.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

csamh
on 3/16/15 9:58 am, edited 3/16/15 12:04 pm

Not looking for a revision  for reflux.  I was on total meal replacements pro-op, which was about 3.5 months and was only able to lose a small amount.  Weeks prior to surgery I was only losing about 0.25-0.50 pounds, that was NO food at all.  

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/16/15 8:04 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If you're prepared to hop into another surgery, you may want to get your "metabolism issue" validated by a medical professional first.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

csamh
on 3/16/15 10:04 am

I am planing on it, unfortunately I don't have a surgeon any more so I have to find someone to deal with my questions about my VGS.  I mentioned to someone else that replied to my post that pre-op I was on total meal replacements for 3 months, no food at all.  I was only able to lose a small amount and toward the last few weeks before surgery I was only losing about a quarter to half a pound, I would have thought with no food it would have been better.  I think after a while my body seems to put the brakes on and halts the weight loss. 

carimary
on 3/16/15 10:48 am

Go to lots of support group meetings, make phone calls, and participate in online support groups.

Zee Starrlite
on 3/16/15 12:39 pm

Are you 169lbs(according to your ticker if u lost 100lbs an kept it off) - how tall are you?    I look very small at that weight.  I am 5'5 and well proportioned.   You probably look great at that weight too.  

You said you had reflux in the past - has it resolved?

All best to you.  I hope you figure it all out.  Up your protein and keep exercising.  If all is well physically just work on accepting yourself where you are at.

Best, Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active
Recent Topics