VSG revision

csamh
on 3/16/15 9:36 am

Not looking for another surgery, I was wondering about RYN for reflux and whether or not a person stops losing for what ever reason.

Chilipepper
on 3/16/15 11:25 pm

Revising to an RNY would clear up that GERD. Unfortunately it is often a problem with the VSG. Many have to revise because of it. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Valerie G.
on 3/16/15 12:37 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Yeah, it happens.  Some people need more than smaller portions and satiety to lose all of their weight.  From my own diet history and lack of results, I was convinced I was one of those people, too.

Instead of RNY, I highly recommend learning more about the duodenal switch, which gives you the best metabolic kick and enables you to keep your fully-functioning sleeve stomach.  Not as many surgeons do it, so you may need to travel, but it's well worth it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

csamh
on 3/16/15 9:38 am

Thanks for the advise, not really looking to have another surgery done.

rocky513
on 3/16/15 12:49 am, edited 3/16/15 12:50 am - WI

I really get upset with people who say that RNY  "stops working" after two years.  I had my RNY in 2010 and I am within 5 pounds of my lowest weight so, I can assure you, my RNY still works.  It's true that after a few years the intestines grow back the villi and more calories can be absorbed again, but if you continue to follow the program, you will be successful.  I will always have restriction, like VSG folks, so I can't eat in large volume.  Any WLS can be "eaten around" and you can regain weight.  It's up to me to keep my head in the game and make good food choices and stop bad habits like grazing all day.

You can not exercise yourself thin.  Exercise is a small part of weight loss.  Eating small amounts of the wrong foods will also make you gain weight or stall.  Protein first, then veggies.  Limit fruit because the body reads fruit as sugar.  No processed or starchy carbs like potatoes, rice, bread (even whole grain), pasta, crackers, etc.  Don't drink with your meals. If you follow the rules, you will be successful. Take a good look at your habits and be honest with yourself about it. 

If you have not lost any more weight it's because you are eating more calories than you are expending.  I would suggest weighing and  measuring everything you eat.  I still weigh and measure my food because I know that, if I don't measure, my portion sizes will creep up on me and I will gain weight.  Obese people have a skewed view on what a proper portion size looks like.  I simply don't trust myself to eyeball and guess at portion sizes. 

To those with GERD/Reflux.... I had severe GERD for over 25 years and RNY cured it.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Grim_Traveller
on 3/16/15 1:20 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Dawn and I share a brain. I agree with everything she said. We all drift over time, and eat more. Most of us deny it happens, but it's true. We also get slightly more sedentary as we get older. Exercise or no, we tend to have less activity as time goes by. More food, less activity equals weight gain.

Measure  your food. Use a kitchen scale and weigh every bite for a month. See exactly how much you are eating. If you eat less, you will lose. You have to.

Sadly, most people refuse to track their food closely. They don't want to. They want to be "normal." It's too much effort. But everyone that does it is successful. Give it a try.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

rocky513
on 3/16/15 6:57 am - WI

I thought I felt something rattling around in my skull last night... Was that you?    You kept me up half the night!

Grim_Traveller
on 3/16/15 8:42 am
RNY on 08/21/12

If I was keeping you up, you'd know it. 

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

rocky513
on 3/16/15 8:56 am - WI

csamh
on 3/16/15 9:46 am

I didn't say the RNY or sleeves stop working; I said that I stopped losing for what ever reason.  Protein is my biggest enemy, not a big meat eater ( of any kind, chicken, turkey or fish included).  I would rather drink a protein shake or have yogurt, but I have been told that I should stay away from the shakes.  Not a fan of grains either, so I don't miss eating pasta, crackers or breads.  Potatoes once in awhile if am wanting them, but they make my stomach hurt  ( I find that strange).  I still use a medicine cup if I'm in doubt of the portion size.

Most Active
Recent Topics