New Sleever...not sure just how to eat!

Ladybugsy
on 3/14/15 4:29 am

Good Morning!  Happy Saturday!

I was sleeved on February 27th and I'm down 27 pounds so far, including Pre-Op.  I'm doing well with the liquids, full liquids, and this week I start pureed/soft foods. 

My problem is that I don't know how to eat.  What I mean by that is that I am a low carber....low carb is what I know and love.  But with low carb comes a higher fat percentage.  Everything I read, and even my dr's instructions talk about low fat, low carb and low calorie.  How is that possible?!  Low calorie...never had any success.  Low fat...never tried it. 

Will it matter considering my sleeve is so small?  (tight 32 bougie) I have a fear of anything carby but now I'm supposed to be afraid of fat and calories too.  I'm a bit confused. :(  I want to make the absolute most of this first year, but I don't want to get myself backed into a stalled corner with nothing to tweak to get rolling again.

Any insight on how you wrapped your brain around new guidelines would be so helpful.

:)

HW 350.  SW 338.  CW 320. 

Month 1, including pre-op: -27 pounds

molfish62
on 3/14/15 5:33 am
VSG on 03/07/15

I'm a newer sleever than you, so not really advice but just what my surgeon & psych said for me. Carbs have always been my problem. Sweets have been a big problem but more than that - pasta, fries, breads, etc. have been my weaknesses. The plan for me is to skip most carbs completely (fruits & veggies are ok) and just monitor the calories & fat to keep both from going too high. Focus will be on protein & limiting carbs A LOT. 

I'm not at this point right now - I am supposed to start full liquid & puréed foods this week but today have only had some broth & water so far. My grocery list had some meat, cheese, eggs, Greek yogurt, and low-carb soups. I'm a little afraid to actually puree & eat anything quite yet though! :)

Molly

VSG on 3/7/15. 

Add me on myfitnesspal: molfish6 

Gwen M.
on 3/14/15 5:51 am, edited 3/14/15 5:53 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Here's what I do.. 

60 grams of protein a day
3 meals, no snacks, meals 4 ounces each
severely limit processed/refined carbs

I figure that with those things, I don't ingest enough fat for it to matter.  I eat high-fat food - full fat dairy, avocados, whole eggs, etc.  I don't care about calories at the moment.  I will if I need to later, but between protein and portion sizes, I'm not worried about it.  

There's a thread here every day titled "whatcha eating" so you can see what people eat.  I do a lot of paleo recipes that fit well with my foodstyle!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Stacy_WLS
on 3/14/15 6:58 am

Fat is not a big deal, but it does pack a lot of calories.  I'd stay away from too many nuts early on unless you have no problem controlling yourself.

Calories for sure matter (IMHO) -- some people do great without counting them, but for me tracking was key.  For the first several months I kept things to 600 - 800 calories.  To do that I did keep an eye on fat and focused mainly on lean protein and veggies.

Good Luck!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

mickeymantle
on 3/14/15 8:49 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

early on you are eating mostly protien I eat 80 gm a day smaller people may need 65 gm that should fill you up

eat mostly fish chicken eggs lean meat , if there is some room after that ( there will not be at first) some low carb fruits and veggies , ,berries , salad , mushrooms

after 1 1/2 years im still eating around 800 cal per day

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Valerie G.
on 3/14/15 9:28 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The latest nutritional reports are changing their minds about fat and have decided that we can no longer get fat from eating fat.  Foods that have been modified to be low fat usually have had extra carbs and sugars to give it some kind of flavor. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 3/14/15 9:11 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

I focus on protein and good quality fats and calories naturally fell in at around 6-800 a day in my losing phase. I did not add any carbs on purpose, just what was contained in dairy and vegetables. So no bread, rice, pasta, potatoes (exceptionally and rarely!) or pretty much anything with flour of any kind or grains. Beans were limited too. I never really was concerened about good fats - fat does not make us fat! Sugar converted to and stored as fat does. So my approach has always been to be very mindful of the carbs and not worry too much about the rest.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Ladybugsy
on 3/14/15 11:23 pm

thank you all so much. This makes me feel better to know that I don't have to watch every fat gram and calorie that goes into my mouth. I'm going to focus on my good proteins and stay away from mid to high glycemic carbs like I've been doing for the past 6 or 8 years and just keep an eye on my calorie count. I really appreciate all of your help!

HW 350.  SW 338.  CW 320. 

Month 1, including pre-op: -27 pounds

Most Active
Recent Topics