First Appointment Psychologist Test Went South!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/13/15 5:14 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Great insight and response, Lora.  I hope this helps the OP look at what happened in another context.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

TruemansMom
on 3/12/15 2:29 am
VSG on 06/24/13

Bummer you got this fellow, but do not downplay the odds of transfer additction. I have a friend who was sober for 22 years and out of the blue started drinking again. Most people never knew she had an issue years before and she was suprised all that time sober just flitted away in the blink of an eye. I suggest you find someone else for therapy and stay with it thru the surgery and post surgery. The brain chemistry that gets wacked is amazingly strong! Find someone who actually specializes in bariatric patient support! You can do this if you have a good team. This first fellow blew his chance to be on your team :D

Jan D.  5'-8", highest wt 231, surgery wt 213

Terri M.
on 3/12/15 2:36 am - Minneapolis

again, being sober without support and recovery,  is not really sober, so I agree.

Valerie G.
on 3/12/15 2:36 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Many may still go along with surgery with recommendation of further monitoring for depression afterwards to make sure you don't go downhill.  Don't get defensive and go off on him.  Instead, suggest a follow-up plan.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Terri M.
on 3/12/15 2:43 am - Minneapolis

I'm not giving up, it just threw me! I'm a fighter, so I will get my stuff  together and show them what I've got.  I just wanted a little feed back. I still do!  This is a big step, a permanent step. I need to find the balance, 

Terri M.
on 3/12/15 2:39 am - Minneapolis

The physiologist is part of the "team" at the Bariatric Surgery Center in Minnesota that I went to on 3/10. I did not pick this person and he does not know me. We spent 45 minutes together. Are you guys saying I should/could find an outside therapist?  

SkinnyBonz38
on 3/12/15 4:22 am

Yes. And perhaps another surgery team.

TruemansMom
on 3/12/15 4:26 am
VSG on 06/24/13

OR mention your issues to the surgeon or his office manager? They may not have given this fellow enough training to do his job. It is a specialized field and not for everyone. The clinic should be very sure ALL their people are supportive. It helps with their success rate and they need to be sensative about that.

Jan D.  5'-8", highest wt 231, surgery wt 213

JennyMcC
on 3/12/15 6:46 am
VSG on 02/25/15

DON'T GIVE UP!  I am really not certain what my psych eval showed, but it made a HUGE difference to the therapist that  administered the test when I told him I was ALREADY in THERAPY currently (when I took the psych eval) and planned to continue w/ the therapy after surgery.  I still go and it has helped me so much.  I am so grateful that I went and got help in dealing with my eating problem (which is really just a symptom of a 'thinking' problem)!  

Maybe if you start seeing a therapist they will let you try the psych eval again after you have been in therapy a little while and have demonstrated to the surgeon (and the therapists) that you are actively seeking help!  

Good Luck! 

Terri M.
on 3/12/15 8:47 am - Minneapolis

Thanks Jenny. I will check into that tomorrow...I am mostly housebound and no longer can drive...I'll have to get creative to get out of the house. But I am determined!!

Most Active
Recent Topics