First Appointment Psychologist Test Went South!

Terri M.
on 3/11/15 9:25 am - Minneapolis

I had my first round of appointments yesterday 3/10 and I was in tears!!  I am a 63 years old woman and I weight 343 lbs, weight I have gained over the last 15 years. I am now homebound due to COPD because of weight and horrible arthritis in my knees....anyway...The first person I saw at my appointment was a 30 year old psychologist who had me answer 50 questions on a oral questionnaire. At the end he said I probably would not be a "good candidate" for surgery because I was "severely depressed"..a "17" on his test.  I have not been depressed since 1984 when I quite drinking...I have been upset about my health, and I should be.  but never depressed.  He said many people become alcoholics after surgery, and I was "at risk"..I have been sober 32 years...I have a huge support group, I am better armed than most!!  WELL I just fell apart!!.  This GUY has Never been fat a moment in his life(I asked him) and doesn't have his own answers, only "his test". I talked to the nurse/dietitian next (who had VGS) and she said not to worry.  Can someone tell me what I should do?? I am telling you, this guy is wrong!! This surgery is my last, best hope.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/11/15 9:33 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I'm sorry that it didn't go as you hoped.  He is correct, however, that there is a large percentage of WLS patients who transfer their food addictions to alcohol.  With our altered anatomy, the risks for complications become very high.

On these sorts of tests, there are no correct answers, but your answers can give some insight as to your emotional state at that particular time.  He hasn't ruled you out for surgery completely, just that you may not be a good candidate.  I had the psychologist tell me that I was at risk for failure because I'm an emotional eater.  She's right, no arguing that point, but therapy has helped me deal with some of my issues.  They may recommend that you seek therapy or go on medication if you are indeed depressed.

I think you should calm down and try to approach this without too much emotion.  If the nurse/dietitian said not to worry, then don't freak out.  The process isn't over.

Don't freak out just yet.  They haven't turned you down.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

IncredibleShrinkingVio
let

on 3/11/15 9:33 am

You have a good support group, the right attitude about the surgery and co-morbid diagnoses to make you a good choice for surgery. This guys sounds like a terrible dork and I think you should get another opinion. I know it will take time and is yet another appointment, but it will be worth it. Explain everything to someone who is a real psychologist and I would bet he/she will give you the green light right away!

At any rate, your surgeon is the one who will give the final word and you should have nothing to worry about there. Meanwhile, hang in there. You can do this and it will be the best gift you ever gave yourself! Don't let the words of a fool stop you!

All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither; Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Terri M.
on 3/11/15 9:50 am - Minneapolis

I am not at high risk for alcoholism, I am already one. sober for 32 years. The odds of my drinking again are slim at best. I am in a 12 step program, and have been, consistently. I am not a depressed person. I AM very unhappy that I am 343lbs and have life threatening health issues.  But I am not depressed. I had a bout of depression in 1983 when I first quit drinking, and I went into therapy and worked through it. I remember it well... I have not been depressed since then.    

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/11/15 10:15 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Congratulations on your 32 years of sobriety  

Even people with no history of alcoholism are susceptible after WLS.  Sad, but true.

I wish you the very best in whatever happens.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Terri M.
on 3/11/15 11:08 am - Minneapolis

I agree GeekMonster. I'm not trying to be arrogant, I just know me pretty well...I've worked hard. But food has me trapped and none of the keys seem to work. Maybe I am overreacting..but I have tried everything else to no avail. This seems like my best and last chance to save my life.

Terri M.
on 3/11/15 11:09 am - Minneapolis

I agree GeekMonster. I'm not trying to be arrogant, I just know me pretty well...I've worked hard. But food has me trapped and none of the keys seem to work. Maybe I am overreacting..but I have tried everything else to no avail. This seems like my best and last chance to save my life.

AndreasJourney
on 3/11/15 12:16 pm

Okay as someone who lives in your area....there are plenty of approved psychologists in the area to see. My psych and surgeon both said this was a tool to see what I needed to understand and what mental after care I may need. Granted I do have an established relationship with a psychologist and a psychiatrist so they knew I would get the counseling I need. 

SkinnyBonz38
on 3/12/15 4:19 am

I would change the surgery team.  My doctor is very obese herself...I didn't know what was going on. So I cancelled with her. I did not have a very good psych visit setup either. They were complaining and I did not get positive vibes from the entire encounter.

Because the process will be a difficult one, I decided to look elsewhere in the Atlanta area. I have not come to any conclusions and in the mean time sure enough, I am gaining poundies!

NoRegrets4Me
on 3/11/15 11:30 am
VSG on 04/21/15

I wouldn't worry too much. At my appointment the psychologist told me I was a binge eater and I am not! I admit that I eat larger portions than most, that's why I'm overweight. But I am not a "binge" eater. He was very sarcastic and told me my surgeon would do the surgery anyway but he said the insurance may deny me with his diagnosis. The nutritionist also agreed with me and everything was approved on the first try. I think you know yourself better than someone who has just meet you and had you answer "his" questions. Good luck with your journey! 

Most Active
Recent Topics