IUD post WLS.

hotmamma440
on 3/15/15 1:16 pm - OH

Hello

does anybody have any experience with an IUD after weight loss surgery?   I read that weight gain is a possible side effect and it makes me very nervous!  I am about 3 1/2 years post op and fighting about 20 pounds right now.  I don't want this to causing me an additional challenge!  

AuntieH
on 3/15/15 1:42 pm
VSG on 11/20/13

I got a Mirena IUD when I was 10 months post-op. It did not cause any weight gain for me. It has a lower dose of hormones than the pill, so I think it has less chance of weight gain.

mickeymantle
on 3/15/15 3:35 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

remember getting pregnant will; also make you gain weight

there are iud's without hormone that will not effect weight lose

talk to your ob gyn and have him/ her talk to your surgeon if necessary

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Zabet2015
on 3/15/15 5:50 pm

Talk with your OBGYN about different hormone combinations/options and your concerns for managing hormone driven weight gain.  He/she should be able to show you studies to ease your mind.

truly...the newer hormone based IUD's are wonderful, and a great first line choice for most.  Mirena and Skyla both release  levonorgestrel, which is just a form of progestin.  Your periods will get lighter and not last as long, any cramping/PMS pain you have will minimize, and they do not cause weight gain.  Some of the older IUDs were known for that, but these second generation devices are your friend...truly.  They do all the good and almost none of the bad.  

I am training to be an OBGYN, and we do a ridiculous amount of these, across all ages and body types.  They're also a much safer option for women over 35, especially if they smoke, have high blood pressure, or history of blood clotting... There's a great example of a group who can't take normal bc pills, but an IUD is safe for them.  

Check into it... I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!  :)

SW: 212  CW: 200  GW: 145   Getting there...one step at a time!

(VSG surgery on 3/4/15 by Dr. Ariel Ortiz)

MsCincy
on 3/15/15 8:31 pm - Amelia, OH
VSG on 08/13/14 with

I had my IUD implanted roughly 4 months prior to my surgery date, so I technically can't say if it's hindered my weight loss since I didn't experience post op life without it. However, I feel as though I've been rather lucky and had some great weight loss months. As others have pointed out, it's a low progesterone hormone that gets released, so in my opinion better than a pill. Best of luck, I know I love mine!

29F; 5'6; HW:290 SW:276 GW:142 M1:-34 M2:-16 M3:-14 M4:-12 M5:-12 M6:-10 M7:-7 M8:-6 M9:-7 M10:-3 M11:-6 M12:-3 M13:-2 M14:-3 M15:-1 M16:-2 M17:-2 CW:135

Superchunk77
on 3/15/15 10:57 pm

I have the Mirena.  No issues here.

Nikke2003
on 3/15/15 11:11 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I have the Skyla IUD and haven't had any weight gain!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

breathemusic
on 3/15/15 11:50 pm

I've had the mirena for several years, so I definitely had it prior to surgery, but I haven't really had any trouble losing weight.  The one thing I did notice is that before surgery, the mirena caused me to only get my period every few months (and it was so light is was more like spotting) but ever since surgery I actually seem to get it monthly, though luckily still very light (especially compared to before I had an IUD).  I also used to always only get cramping VERY rarely, now I seem to get pretty light cramping for only a very short period of time a day or 2 before my period starts.  Again, this only started happening post-surgery.  Not sure if I'm just reacting a bit differently because the hormone dosage is the same compared to my total body weight or what, but I'd still take the IUD over any other form of BC, any day of the week.  I don't really know anything about the other progestin based IUD that isn't mirena.  But I can tell you that the copper IUD, although hormone free, is known to actually make your period heavier, not lighter!  Not sure how it is with weight loss.

But you should know, all of the hormone based forms of BC tend to note that weight gain is a possible side effect.  So even if you were taking the pill, or patch or shot, or whatever, that would still be a possible risk.  But that doesn't mean that everyone experiences it.

Valerie G.
on 3/16/15 12:39 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

If you're concerned of the hormonal effects of Mirena, consider instead the Copper IUD.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

hotmamma440
on 3/16/15 12:42 am - OH

Thank you so much for so many great responses!  I really appreciate everybody's feedback!  It is the Mirena IUD that I have scheduled to have inserted tomorrow.  I am glad to hear that the newer ones have a less/better quality hormone to reduce possible side effects.  I will ask the Dr about it before he puts it in.  Thanks again everybody and please keep adding responses if you have anything else to share!

Most Active
Recent Topics