Help

Denise2016
on 3/11/15 12:19 am

I recently had the vsg (12/19/2013) I'm 20 years old and I'm just going to be flat out honest! I am doing horrible, my dieting has been horrible and I don't really work out. I haven't went to go see my doctor because I'm just too ashamed of what she will say. I'm lost and don't know what to do. My Portion size has increased SO much! Sometimes I don't even feel like I've had the surgery. I really wanna do the right thing and lose weight like I sho be doing but I just don't know where to start. I have a hard time knowing what to buy at the stores. I'm just really lost, any help would be nice. And please don't be mean to me. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/11/15 1:14 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On March 11, 2015 at 7:19 AM Pacific Time, Denise2016 wrote:

I recently had the vsg (12/19/2013) I'm 20 years old and I'm just going to be flat out honest! I am doing horrible, my dieting has been horrible and I don't really work out. I haven't went to go see my doctor because I'm just too ashamed of what she will say. I'm lost and don't know what to do. My Portion size has increased SO much! Sometimes I don't even feel like I've had the surgery. I really wanna do the right thing and lose weight like I sho be doing but I just don't know where to start. I have a hard time knowing what to buy at the stores. I'm just really lost, any help would be nice. And please don't be mean to me. 

Go to your doctor. No, seriously. Anonymous strangers over the Internet can only do so much; you need to talk to an expert, in person, who knows exactly what happened in your surgery.

Find the guidelines your surgeon gave you post-op. Follow them.

• Drink all of your water.

• Focus on protein. At 3 months out, you should be having almost nothing but.

• Weigh and measure your food. If you think you're eating too much, portion out the correct amount so that you don't overeat.

• Find support, from a local group and/or a therapist. If you've already thrown in the towel, you're going to have trouble.

Nobody here is mean. But we WILL give you a reality check if you've given up and aren't following directions so soon after surgery.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Gwen M.
on 3/11/15 3:46 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Please definitely go back to see your surgeon!  She can help you and figure out what's going on.  I'd also suggest that you set up an appointment with a therapist to help unpack the pretty hefty emotional load that you're dealing with right now.  Feeling shame and embarrassment doesn't really help any of us to get where we want to be.  I'm sorry that you're feeling those things.  

It might also be helpful to think about what your "basics" are and work on getting back to them.  Here are mine, yours might be slightly different.  

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs, especially the refined and processed ones
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
5. Avoid liquid calories (breakfast protein shake is the exception)
6. Weigh portions
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
8. Move as much as possible
9. Weigh myself daily
10. Be kind to myself

Take one day at a time - turn to your medical professionals, they're there to help you - and you'll get there!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

wyo_sarah
on 3/11/15 6:05 am

Do you have a support group?  Not necessarily a formal support group, but a group of friends and/or family who know that you had surgery and are willing and able to help you make good choices?  Maybe you should start there...talk with your boyfriend, mom, best friend, or someone like that and tell them that you need help.  Then, clean our your pantry and refrigerator of all the things that you shouldn't be eating.  Donate things to the food bank, friends or just throw them away.  Make sure you have a food scale.  They are pretty cheap...I think mine was from Bed, Bath and Beyond and was less than $10.  When you make food to eat, measure out a small portion (you should probably only be eating 2 ounces of protein and not much else), then put the rest of the food away so you aren't tempted to get more.  If you eat the wrong things, you aren't going to get full as fast.  Dense protein (mostly meat!) will fill you up and keep you full.  Make sure you are drinking lots of water.  A lot of the time we think we are hungry when we are actually thirsty.  I would be more than willing to be your friend on facebook if you would like some additional support.  Just send me a message and we can hook up some how.  Another suggestion...make sure you are tracking what you eat on a program like My Fitness Pal.  It REALLY helps to know what you are eating.  It helps you stay accountable.

Most Active
Recent Topics