How much can you guys eat before being full

Queen_Q89
on 3/9/15 9:15 am - FL
VSG on 02/19/15

Today I am 18 days post sleeve. Im trying pureed foods. Eating applesauce feels like swallowing knives!! Im trying to adjust to foods slowly but I find that I can only eat 1 to 3 baby spoonfuls of food before feeling overly full and nauseated. Is this normal??? Really 3 baby spoonfuls???? Is this happening because im still healing, or is it gonna be like this for the rest of my life?? I can drink about a cup of broth and feel just fine. I was under the impression that after this surgery I would be able to consume at least a child size plate, but at this rate im nearly sick after eating a few small spoonfuls. Whats going on?? I recently found out after having surgery that my surgeon is not the most pleasant person to talk too. Im on the verge of finding another doctor which seems pretty much pointless considering the fact that ive already had the procedure. Anyways guys enough with my problems.. Let me know what you think about this and if you've had similar experience.

TexasTerritory
on 3/9/15 9:22 am
VSG on 07/22/13
You're still healing so small amounts of food is best. I am 20 months out and only eat 3-4 ounces. Don't think I could eat a child's plate of food today. I know I don't want to eat that much.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/9/15 9:27 am, edited 3/9/15 10:02 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Some people have difficulty progressing to pureed foods.  If you're having pains that feel like swallowing knives, you might want to go back to liquids temporarily. 

Yes, this is happening because your  stomach is still healing.  Everyone heals at a different rate and surgeons have their own timetable for adding different consistencies of food based on their experience. 

Another issue that some people have is the temperature of foods/liquids.  If you're not having problems with warm broth, could it be that your applesauce is too cold?  Maybe try eating warm pureed foods and see how they go down.

It will get better, but you might have to take it slower.  I would definitely talk to your surgeon's office about your concerns.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

spuddzy
on 3/9/15 9:32 am - NY

I'm 18 weeks out and get full pretty quick...morning I can eat the most. Like cup of tea. Later on a cup of cooked farina or oatmeal. Lunch depending what I feel like not more than a portion size of a lean cuisine but sometimes I can't fini**** Dinner same thing. I made a small piece of steak and a few asparagus but didn't finish ..usually as soon as I feel like I'm there I stop cause from experience just a few more fork full or a little too much will make me feel so full and it takes along time for that to pass. Your body lets you know and you'll learn fast. Some things don't agree that I used to be able to eat so I stay away for awhile then try it another time. If it still doesn't work I don't eat it. Like applesauce makes me gag... When I was on puréed I was hungry and ate more then than now.

spuddzy

LK85
on 3/9/15 9:40 am
VSG on 12/30/14

There are likely some that can eat a child size plate of food post op, but it won't be at 18 days post op... heck, I can't even fathom eating that much at 3 months out.

Amounts consumed depend on each person and also on the consistency. I can drink liquids all day long and not have the feeling of being full as they don't activate the pyloric valve. When it comes to chicken, 2-3 ounces is my max. Currently, I limit myself to 1/2 cup per meal and sometimes I can't even finish that. 

Grim_Traveller
on 3/9/15 9:48 am
RNY on 08/21/12

This is pretty much normal for 18 days. After six months or a year, you'll be able to eat a LOT more, and may look longingly back at the days of three baby spoonsful.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Oneillch
on 3/9/15 11:05 am
VSG on 02/04/15

I'm a month out & only able to eat 2-3 oz of soft foods at a time. Things will get better as your body heals. Don't ru**** and if applesauce doesn't suit you, try something else. There are lots of bariatric friendly recipes for every stage on Pinterest. 

As for your dr, see him for your follow-up, but you may want to find a nut that is experienced with WLS, to guide you through the steps. 

Again, things will get better as your body heals. Just take your time and listen to what your body is telling you.

Gwen M.
on 3/9/15 11:31 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I was able to eat 1-2 ounces when I was at that point.  Liquids were great, but solids, nope.  But now I can eat 4-5 ounces of good quality solid foods with no issue.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Luvmygs
on 3/10/15 12:48 am
VSG on 12/04/14

I definitely didn't do well during the puree stage. I went back to liquids. But I bought a can of Progresso Chicken noodle soup and pureed the entire can and would have that for meals. Ate sugar free puddings, popsicles and sugar free jello. But VERY little. Yes, your stomach is still trying to heal and its swollen. I'm 14 weeks post op and It's getting better, still restricted to 2-3 ounces. But its much better. Hang-in-there.

GooseGirl
on 3/10/15 12:51 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

I'm almost 19 weeks out and eat about 2 oz for each meal. I know that eventually my capacity will increase but I hope that isn't for a very long time. The longer my capacity stays this small the easier the weight loss will be to achieve. 

Most Active
Recent Topics