With VSG, how do you know your body has stopped losing weight?

LovinLora78
on 3/9/15 3:28 am

I have seen people lose a lot of weight with this procedure which will  be my choice if I decide to have weight loss surgery. My concern is when does the body STOP losing? Like I don't want to end up with bones showing or anorexic after surgery. I have high blood pressure, anxiety and a mild fatty liver. I am only 4ft 10 and 213 lbs so I know I am a candidate for the surgery but terrified of being sick all the times afterwards and also scared that I would start to look sickly after the weight loss surgery. Please shed some light on these fears.

mmsmom
on 3/9/15 3:39 am - Woburn, MA

it sounds like you don't really want to get the surgery.  You stop losing when you add more food to your diet - healthy food.  If you don't want to be bony, set a goal that would achieve that - or modify your food plan when you are at the point you're happy.  

VSG on 04/28/2014

LovinLora78
on 3/9/15 4:06 am

Not sure where you are getting that I don't want to have the surgery just because I asked a question...That is what this site is for and that is one of my concerns so I asked...But anyways, thanks for your....reply.

Stacy_WLS
on 3/9/15 3:56 am

It is not hard to get lots of calories if that is what you want.  Anorexia is an eating disorder where you do not allow yourself to eat.  This surgery would not give you that.  If you want to stop losing weight, you eat more -- or more calorie dense food.  If you can only eat 1/4 cup of food -- 1/4 of peanut butter will give you quite a bang on calories.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

LovinLora78
on 3/9/15 4:08 am

Thanks, I appreciate your reply. I have seen some people get really small including people that I see on a daily basis. At my previous job, a co-worker got really tiny and actually didn't like it but when she tried to eat more she would get sick so that is why I asked my question.

cappy11448
on 3/9/15 4:39 am

Some people just slowly start eating more and level off at some weight.  I kept losing until I chose to add more calories to my diet in a decision to stop my weight loss.  I got to my goal and then lost another 20 pounds because I still had a pot belly.  Then one day, I looked at myself and realized that I was too thin.  I still have too much belly, but I think it may be mostly excess skin.  I'm going to loosen up a bit and add another 5 pounds to see if I look better.

So I'd say its your choice on how much weight you'd like to lose and what weight you chose for maintenance.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

frisco
on 3/9/15 4:42 am

It is very rare to dip in the under weight with the VSG "in general"......

Most time you here about it there was a complication involved.

In the big picture most people don't lose all their desired weight.

The average that gets bounced around for VSG as a whole is about 50-60% EWL

This seems to be a number that more and more bariatric programs are shooting for and deem successful. Which means at 4'10" you wanted to lose half of your 213lbs. you would lose 50-60lbs.

All VSG's are not the same, all plans are not the same and results are all over the place.

A couple keys that could help if your concerned about eventual weight is to find a surgeon that has statistics that match your intentions and that you can work closely with through the process.

With a BMI of 44 your likely to have far more eventual problems from obesity than the slim chance you will lose to much weight.

Hope this helps !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

LovinLora78
on 3/9/15 7:07 am

Helped Bunches. Thanks

mmsmom
on 3/9/15 5:06 am - Woburn, MA

I'm sorry if I offended you, that was not my intent.  

VSG on 04/28/2014

LovinLora78
on 3/9/15 7:08 am

No problem

Most Active
Recent Topics