Hair loss....didn't start till month 3

jacquis_1966
on 3/11/15 1:11 pm

Does anyone have suggestions on hair loss/thinning? I thought I'd missed that side effect, but it kicked in late February after three months. 

Just wondering how long this phase has lasted for others.

snn
on 3/11/15 2:37 pm

hi! i't'll be three months for me on monday, and i have the same question!! so far i haven't noticed anything but boy am i nervous about it. i've heard that it usually starts at month three and lasts until month 9 or so, and that there really isn't much we can do about it except for ride it out and make sure to get enough protein, iron, copper, zinc and vitamin c - but that stuff doesn't stop it it just makes sure it doesn't get worse.

i would love to hear what some of the vets on here's experiences were like.

Grim_Traveller
on 3/11/15 8:46 pm, edited 3/11/15 8:46 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Three months or so is when it almost always starts. We constantly lose hair, and replace it with new growth. The surgery, most likely anesthesia, disrupts the cycle. There is really nothing you can do except wait. This cycle will continue with more hair loss, and no growth. The next cycle, it will start growing back in.

There are no magic pills or shampoos that will help. Hair needs protein to grow, so make you you are getting enough. Having a good stylist is the only other thing you can do.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

SulowskiT
on 3/11/15 8:56 pm

This is absolutely true. I lost half my hair starting at 3 months and am at 9 months and the regrowth is finally coming in! I was pretty lucky as I had lots to start with, and really I was the only one who noticed but it did caused me a great amount of stress. But as I look at my new body and 126 lb weight loss, it is a minor thing!!! I did try biotin pills for a while, but found that the hair on my body started growing very rapidly, especially on my face, and not on my head at all. I stopped that right away!!

so hang in there. I remember one thing that my surgeon said about the surgery.  "I can only guarantee you one thing about the surgery..... You will lose weight but I cant guarantee you how much or how fast. You will lose hair but I CAN guarantee you that it will grow back!"

mine is, and In a few months I think I will be back on the road to having the thick hair I once had!!! Now I just have an awesome body to compliment my hair! 

Good luck!

Grim_Traveller
on 3/11/15 11:59 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Thanks for bringing that up, I failed to mention it. Many women taking biotin end up with unwanted facial hair, but no regrowth on their head.

I haven't met a woman yet that ever took biotin again after getting a nice beard from it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Valerie G.
on 3/12/15 2:25 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Nope- you didn't miss it.  You're right on time, in fact.  Telogen Effluvium starts around 3 mos post op, lasts a few months and stops. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics