Band failure, now looking at sleeve

CocoPoo
on 3/8/15 12:28 pm
VSG on 06/12/18

I was banded in May of 2010. I weighed 264 pounds and now weigh 232. I only lost 32 pounds with the band. I had no complications. Never found the "sweet" spot. I am getting the band out on 3/27/15 and will get the sleeve in July, 2015. I am so afraid that I will fail again and not lose anything significant. I do not want to go through 2 weight loss surgeries and never achieve any significant weight loss. Has anyone gone from the band to the sleeve with any success? Did any one have problems losing after the revision from band to sleeve? Any insights will be appreciated. It will help me make the decision on if I will proceed with the sleeve revision.

mickeymantle
on 3/8/15 3:26 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

many people do but you have to ask yourself why you failed with the band

did you follow your plan or where you eating junk

where you eating to much because you never felt full

it might help to talk to a therapist that works with eating disorders to figure out why you failed

the sleeve works great if you stay on plan , you need to eat mostly protien , no junk , with any wls you will fail if you eat slider food,icecream, soda, chips, fried foods

they do not fill you up and have lots of calories

eggs, lean meat, fish , with a little veggies and fruit is  what you need to eat

80 gm protien 30 gm or less carbs, 500-800 calories  , 65 oz water is what you need to eat each day

can you do this if not wait for the vsg till you can

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

CocoPoo
on 3/9/15 12:14 pm
VSG on 06/12/18

I really think I ate correctly. While I only lost 32 pounds I never regained the weight. However, I was obviously doing something wrong. Thanks for the feedback.

Elena22
on 3/9/15 12:00 am

Nearly Two Years Out..... [Edit Post]
January 14, 2013 3:46 pm
Published

For me, and this is just for me personally, the VSG has been a big mistake as opposed to RNY or DS.  My original choice was the DS, but my insurance would not pay for it, so I settled for my second choice which was the VSG. My insurance said that they would pay for RNY but I wasn't interested in that option for myself.  I feared dumping, and the pouch, and I didn't like the idea of a "blind stomach." However the VSG is a restrictive procedure only and my body NEEDS malabsorption.  I have been diligent about following the program of the VSG as recommended by my WLS clinic, however I haven't lost a pound since July 2012.  I have even resorted back to fad "dieting" to keep the weight off.  Right now I am in the process of trying to see if I can get revised to the DS.  I have a new insurance company and job.  Swing critters for me that all goes well. 

Thanks, for reading.

~ Elena.

nursebonnie
on 3/9/15 12:13 am
VSG on 08/19/14

I had the band August of 2010 at 266. I got to 194 and held for three years. I got reflux and had band out May 2014 and sleeve done August 2014. I am now at 173 and my goal is 166. I love the sleeve. As a former bandster I am not so sure you failed the band. The band fails a LOT of people.

I hope you read many more success stories about the revision, because I can personally attest to the fact that the sleeve works like the band was supposed to work. Dims hunger, less food for satiety and I have not puked once with the sleeve.

Some therapy may be a good idea for you, only you know. I know I was very motivated with the band and ate as directed and could not lose the last 28 pounds.

I did gain to 214 after band removal. My fault entirely. I ate cheeseburgers with buns, pasta, beer and all the foods I did not eat for four years. Since the sleeve I have not been off plan and do not intend to go off plan.

Valerie G.
on 3/9/15 6:47 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

So, if you couldn't get results eating less with the band, then I'm not sure how the sleeve will do much better.  I echo the other poster mentioning looking into the RNY or DS, which also incorporate boosting the metabolism.  Some people need it - others just need help eating less.  If you only lost 32 lbs last time, I'd be looking at a significant change.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

coll26
on 3/9/15 8:10 am
VSG on 01/30/15

The sleeve is a whole different experience then the band! The band is like having a noose around your stomach but you know you still have your whole stomach, so you tend to trick the band and at time able to eat a lot more! I would eat something, it would get stuck , then vomit, then eat more! Horrible thing to do I know! With the sleeve you know that 85% of your stomach is removed and its a whole different mind set! I did not have the proper support from my original surgeons office, and that has a lot to do with your success! This time I have an amazing surgeon and NUT that makes all the difference! I was also more mentally prepared for this surgery! Unless you've had a band you have no idea of the difference!! I have lost 24lbs so far and I feel great, best decision ever! You will NOT FAIL! Good luck! 

CocoPoo
on 3/9/15 12:16 pm
VSG on 06/12/18

Thank you! I am going to get this band out and then go for it.

BlueEyesAL
on 4/25/15 3:51 am

I had the sleeve in 2010. I had success initially but only for about 6 weeks because I would get so sick if I ate anything too bulky. Well it stretched very quickly and in a matter of a fee months I was back to original weight. Well I had a revision sleeve last April, almost a little over a year to date. Lost NO weight. My sleeve was apparently made into a tube shape and food just slides down it like a drain into my intestines. It resulted in me not being able to eat veggies like I used to, or chicken, because it is too "bulky", but I don't get full on anything else. I wish I had good news to tell you but I think WLS is a dead end road for some people including me.  I am now actually fatter than I was a year ago because I can't eat very healthy foods. I'd say you are so much better off just eating healthy and exercising. It's not worth the torture to yourself, the cost,  the recovery,  etc. I have a hernia from my sleeve revision and even have stitches left in my stomach that never came out due to their botched procedure. I might as well have flushed $5,000-7,000 down the drain. Please avoid that road and know that you CAN do it like others do with diet and exercise.  Don't ruin your internal organs and plumbing for life from something like this. You have to eat a very strict diet to even lose the weight with the sleeve. It's not that you feel full easily, it's that you get very sick or feel extreme pain if you eat off plan, and that just isn't worth it!  You can do this on your own, I have faith in you!

Gwen M.
on 4/25/15 5:02 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm sorry your surgeon was so incompetent.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics