Why would I want to burn bridges?

Kate -True Brit
on 3/9/15 6:40 pm - UK

I can't see any nastiness, snarkiness, sarcasm.  I think you are failing to allow for the fact that the written word has no intonation - this can lead to misunderstanding.  And I do agree with others that starting a new thread to complain is unnecessary. A good rule of thumb is always to give people the benefit of the doubt! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Ashley in Belgium
on 3/9/15 6:52 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Wow, seriously.  I think you need to take a deep breath and chill.  The other thread you are referring to contains a lot of supportive, helpful comments.  Not a single snark.  Really.  You have overreacted in a huge way that is completely unnecessary and certainly didn't require a new thread to whine about it.  You can always reply directly to a poster either in the actual thread or via PM.  Why you feel you need to stew over a comment that you gave thanks for is beyond me.

I am sure that your doctors will help you through whatever tests you need to take and hurdles you must jump over for your WLS.  I wish you every success. 

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/15 8:51 pm
  • I don’t see anything wrong with expressing myself freely and making it public.
  • When I answered the OP I focused on the positive and tried to ignored the rest because I didn’t want to respond until my emotional reaction has passed.
  • I believe that misunderstandings and arguments can be avoided if one is unwilling to become offended and that getting offended is useless but mutual respectis extremely important.
  • Even though I'm not an expert in the internet forums I always have tried to be as genuine, respectful and accurate as possible.
  • I'm learning that text on a screen may comes across as rude, when you can't hear the voice or see the facial expressions of a person sitting in front of you. An ironic joke may come across as an insult. A good practice is to be liberal in what to accept and conservative in what to send.
CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/9/15 8:33 pm
RNY on 12/31/13
On March 9, 2015 at 3:40 PM Pacific Time, Nataliesophia wrote:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/5307161/Can-you-fail-the-cardiac-stress-test-due-to-shortness-of/

Why would I want to burn bridges?

I have been debating about if I should write this or not. I have decided to do it not because I'm oversensitive but because I'm assertive .  I know many would feel they should remain faithful to the old timers and want to be in good standing with everyone, which I understand. Though, all of us could probably get better at empathy.

It did bothered me very much a remark someone wrote answering one of my posts.

" You can still have heart problems, but you won't be able to diagnose it yourself

What gave this person the impression that I was trying to diagnose myself?  I have a PhD in other specialization not a doctorate in Medicine.  And I know I can't study for a stress test, try to avoid sarcasm when answering people's post especially to new people. 

Please ask yourself if this answer can be justified?   I think is a disrespect to write someone these comments. It is better not to respond and let the person feel frustrated while reaching out with a question, concern and or looking for support.

****Believe me please, I was not trying to convince anyone that I dont have a heart problem.. Why would I do that for? And the point was not if I had or had not a heart problem...the point was my respiratory allergy as an impediment to have the physical stress test, that was the reason why I named the medications I take because I feel nervous about the intravenous method. I will have any test they will tell me to have. I'm not scared of heart problems. I think most of you misunderstood what I stated. I wish I could write clearer and more precise.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/15 8:56 pm
  • I don’t see anything wrong with expressing myself freely and making it public.
  • When I answered the OP I focused on the positive and tried to ignored the rest because I didn’t want to respond until my emotional reaction has passed.
  • I believe that misunderstandings and arguments can be avoided if one is unwilling to become offended and that getting offended is useless but mutual respectis extremely important.
  • Even though I'm not an expert in the internet forums I always have tried to be as genuine, respectful and accurate as possible.
  • I'm learning that text on a screen may comes across as rude, when you can't hear the voice or see the facial expressions of a person sitting in front of you. An ironic joke may come across as an insult. A good practice is to be liberal in what to accept and conservative in what to send.
Kate -True Brit
on 3/9/15 10:52 pm - UK

Quote.  I believe that misunderstandings and arguments can be avoided if one is unwilling to become offended and that getting offended is useless but mutual respectis extremely important.

I couldn't agree more 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/10/15 1:35 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On March 10, 2015 at 3:56 AM Pacific Time, Nataliesophia wrote:

* If "getting offended is useless," then why are you here telling us how offended you are??

* There's nothing wrong with self-expression. But it would be more appropriate to express that opinion in the original place, directly with the person who offended you. You certainly could have come BACK to that thread "after your emotional reaction had passed" since the topic wasn't going anywhere, and replied-- in public-- there. 

* Yes, "mutual respect IS important." Unfortunately, I don't see a lot of respect coming from your end; Grim provided his advice, and you're complaining that his response (and by extension, he) is deliberately unhelpful.

* "...To be liberal in what to accept and conservative in what to send" is a good strategy for you. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it needs to be a guideline for others. Please respect your fellow posters enough to not tell them what to write, and instead allow them to make their own decisions in what to post/reply.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Chilipepper
on 3/9/15 9:35 pm

For goodness sake. This is a ridiculous thread. No one was snarky or rude nor do we need your resume. You post and you got a response.  Your asthma is no different than anyone else's. Your allergies are no different than anyone else's. You have to take the test. If something happens to you, you are in a Drs office. 

My my concern is, you do realize that there is a psychological evaluation clearance that you must obtain prior to surgery. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/15 9:55 pm

I already passed my Psychological Evaluation.

LISER617
on 3/9/15 11:42 pm - MA
RNY on 08/01/14

You really are making something out of nothing here. I don't see anything wrong with any of the remarks you received. Not saying i haven't seen snarky rude comments on here. But, this is not one of those times.  

Lisa (38) my goal is 160 lbs.... my dream is happy and healthy

Most Active
Recent Topics