Why would I want to burn bridges?

Mary Gee
on 3/9/15 9:56 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14
I think maybe you are oversensitive ...... I see nothing wrong with any response on that thread. Nothing wrong with being assertive.....but I think you're reading it wrong. And I have to agree your comment would have been better placed on the thread where the response was posted.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

samanthalc
on 3/9/15 10:02 am
with

I'm new to this forum, pre-VSG too.

The original responder has already responded, indicating he meant no offense.  Out of curiosity, I went back and read the chain in question. Ironically, I actually thought his responses (and there were two in a row) were kind more than anything.  The remark about not being able to study for the test was clearly meant to be light hearted, and help you relax and be resigned to the result knowing there isn't anything you can do in advance.

All of that said, your point about not being sarcastic is an interesting one.  I'm a very sarcastic person, and it's generally how I relate to others, so maybe that's why I was not offended by the post.  

The reason I responded is just to echo the point that another poster made: it's so very difficult to judge correctly the tone in an online post or email.  I've read a number of other posts on this board, unrelated to this chain, and thought --sheesh...that was harsh...-- and then later down the chain it became evident that the note was intended to be kind, while injecting reality into the conversation in a truthful but direct way.  I've come to accept that it's better to give folks the benefit of the doubt on these and other boards similar to this one.

Best of luck to you in your test, and ultimately WLS

PrayMore
on 3/9/15 10:03 am

I don't know about this specific post to which you are referring. But I do know that I've seen some snarky comments relating to other posts that I've read. I feel like the nasty comments are very unnecessary. And these rude comments even are sometimes made worse by additional posters who jump on the snarky bandwagon. I've even seen people who laugh (writing 'LOL' or 'ha ha' and that type of thing) at some of these nasty comments. They are counterproductive as to why we're all here. And I cringe sometimes or just click off that particular post because it's disheartening. 

So while I don't know about this instance, I do think that some posters can be overly negative toward people, sad to say. Just my own observation and commentary. 

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/9/15 10:04 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

She posted a link to the specific thread above.  Perhaps it would be helpful for you to read it.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

samanthalc
on 3/9/15 10:48 am
with

LOL- There it is!

(PS: your weight loss is really impressive.  It's clear you worked hard for it, and I only hope I have near half your dedication!)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/9/15 12:55 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Thank you 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Starlene02
on 3/9/15 10:50 am
VSG on 11/11/15

I have also had some snarky, unnecessary comments but I don't think the responses on this post was meant to be discouraging or negative. I mean if you ask a large group a question you're bound to have people that disagree with you. I do feel like posters can be very rude but I honestly don't feel like that was an issue in this post. I'm confused as to why if you found it so offensive you would respond with a thank you? Also, I agree with the previous comment that reading a comment can be easily misinterpreted. You can't always read someone's tone or personality through a post. I agree with you that people should think before they post but I honestly don't think this was meant to be offensive. Maybe it was just a sensitive subject for you so you were easily offended? I'm not sure. In any case, best of luck on your journey. I hope this doesn't discourage you from posting. I'm still pre-op and this site has already been very helpful for me.

If you feel like quitting, think of why you started.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 3/9/15 11:11 am

I din't have a PhD, but I cannot detect any sarcasm.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

KattattaK
on 3/9/15 11:22 am

Hi! Just though I'd chime in. I've seen some of the type of comments you are referring to (snarky, snide, insensitive, sarcastic, nasty, rude comments). However, Grim's comment did not seem to be at all that way. Hope all of our comments help you come to that realization. Also, as far as the stress test you are referring to, I had it done a few years ago, and it was NO fun!!! If there's any way you can do the treadmill test, opt for that. I don't know you, but if by any chance you have any anxiety, that test can freak you out. Just a thought. That being said, sometimes there is no choice but to have that version done. My father has had it done a few times, and it didn't bother him in the least. Everyone is different. I hope all goes well with your wls journey. We are here for you! 

Gwen M.
on 3/9/15 11:25 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I've read all of your posts since you started posting here and I'm wondering - are you new to internet forums?  I feel like you've made a number of posts in this vein and I feel like they come from a place of not really knowing how forums work.  

It might behoove you to lurk more so that you can get a better feel for this.  You seem like a nice person who means well and wants to succeed, it just doesn't seem like you really know how to forum.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics