Why would I want to burn bridges?

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/15 8:40 am, edited 3/9/15 10:24 am

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/5307161/Can-you-fail-the-cardiac-stress-test-due-to-shortness-of/

Why would I want to burn bridges?

I have been debating about if I should write this or not. I have decided to do it not because I'm oversensitive but because I'm assertive .  I know many would feel they should remain faithful to the old timers and want to be in good standing with everyone, which I understand. Though, all of us could probably get better at empathy.

It did bothered me very much a remark someone wrote answering one of my posts.

" You can still have heart problems, but you won't be able to diagnose it yourself

What gave this person the impression that I was trying to diagnose myself?  I have a PhD in other specialization not a doctorate in Medicine.  And I know I can't study for a stress test, try to avoid sarcasm when answering people's post especially to new people. 

Please ask yourself if this answer can be justified?   I think is a disrespect to write someone these comments. It is better not to respond and let the person feel frustrated while reaching out with a question, concern and or looking for support.

****Believe me please, I was not trying to convince anyone that I dont have a heart problem.. Why would I do that for? And the point was not if I had or had not a heart problem...the point was my respiratory allergy as an impediment to have the physical stress test, that was the reason why I named the medications I take because I feel nervous about the intravenous method. I will have any test they will tell me to have. I'm not scared of heart problems. I think most of you misunderstood what I stated. I wish I could write clearer and more precise.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/9/15 8:51 am, edited 3/9/15 9:09 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Why would you drag this out in the open instead of simply replying to the person whose answer bothered you? 

I think it is "a disrespect" to stand on a soapbox rather than handling it personally.

I also think my empathy is just fine and don't need others to determine that for me :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/9/15 8:53 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I think you're being overly sensitive.  I didn't read any sarcasm or animosity in his comment.

You asked a question and he gave you an intelligent and direct response.  I would suggest that you not assume the worst of people on OH since you cannot interpret tone by reading a post.

I wish you luck on your stress test and impending surgery, but lighten up!  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/9/15 8:54 am

I think you being very sensitive... I don't see anything wrong with his answer...

Just because someone has shortness of breath does not mean they have heart issue...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Grim_Traveller
on 3/9/15 9:03 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I wrote the remark you are referring to on that other post. If you had an issue, the best place to talk it out would have been ON that other thread, where people could have followed things easier.

I encourage anyone who is curious to click on the above link and read for themselves.

I have reread your questions and my answers three more times. I stand by every word, and wouldn't change a bit of my responses. I was not in the least bit sarcastic or disrespectful.

I took the time to give you an honest and well thought-out answer. There was not the tiniest bit of ill will involved.

I think you are being EXTREMELY oversensitive.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

ald731
on 3/9/15 9:11 am
VSG on 04/07/14

I don't usually comment on posts like this, but I went back and read your other post and I truly don't think there was any malice or disrespect intended or demonstrated. There's definitely a lot of snark on posts sometimes (either due to poor choices on the part of the OP, or questions that are asked a million times); that being said, I don't see any of that on the responses to your question.

I think you're most likely in an emotionally heightened state trying to prepare for surgery - which is totally understandable! All of us post-ops have been there. Take a deep breath, keep calm and carry on. :) Good luck with your stress test (or non-stress test, if they go that route).

April:  HW- 323, SW-310, CW-159 (as of 9/25/15), Goal- 140; Pre-op (-13), M1 (-17), M2 (-16), M3 (-14), M4 (-13), M5 (-12), M6 (-8), M7 (-12), M8 (-8), M9 (-8), M10 (-5), M11 (-7), M12 (-5), M13 (-7), M14 (-0), M15 (-1), M16 (-5), M17 (-5)

Laura in Texas
on 3/9/15 9:33 am

You WERE trying to diagnose yourself. You were trying to convince all of us you do not have a heart problem. You may or may not. A lot of people have heart problems that are never diagnosed until they get an EKG. That is why laws are being passed to require an EKG on youth athletic physicals because too many healthy kids are dying on the court or the field with no prior diagnosis.

I do not see why Grim's comment set you off. Seriously.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/15 9:55 am

Believe me please, I was not trying to convince anyone that I dont have a heart problem.. Why would I do that for?  And the point was not if I had or had not a heart problem...the point was my respiratory allergy as an impediment to have the physical stress test, that was the reason why I named the medications I take, because I feel nervous about the intavenous method. I will have any test they will tell me to have. I'm not scared of heart problems. I think most of you misunderstood what I stated. I wish I could write clearer and more precise.

Gina 22 years out
on 3/9/15 9:47 am - Burleson, TX

Best I can tell..and PLEASE tell me, if I am missing something...YOU asked a question...GRIM answered it, in his usual helpful, humorous fashion, then you YOU replied with a THANK YOU...

Apparently, the response remained on your mind, and caused you to come back today, with this perplexing (To ME, anyway, but I don't have a PhD) post...

No doubt you have 10 million things on your mind right now...most of us have been in your shoes...BREATHE...soon all this pre-op "hoop jumping" will be a distant memory...

If "burning bridges" was a yes or no question...then I vote NO...you absolutely can benefit from the experiences (both good AND bad) of EVERYONE here..and WE can learn from YOU...

I look forward to sharing your journey

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/10/15 11:14 am, edited 3/10/15 11:14 am - OH

Well, FWIW, even with a PhD, I found it somewhat perplexing

(and I think the OP is overreacting, and being somewhat passive aggressive rather than "assertive")

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics