Did you have any experiences during surgery with oxygen levels because of sleep apnea?

(deactivated member)
on 3/7/15 7:32 am

I have sleep apnea and I use the CPAC. I'm worried about the impact of anesthesia and narcotics during and after surgery. I am going to discuss this concern with my surgeon and anesthesiologist before surgery although, I'm sure they have extensive experience in weight loss surgery and that they will take appropriate measures to maintain the airway for a safe surgery. Did you have any experiences during surgery with oxygen levels because of sleep apnea? Did anyone have difficulty with this during or after surgery? If so, what were they and how

Dan1962
on 3/7/15 7:52 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

I had sleep apnea and they had be hooked up to oxygen during the surgery.  They also snake a tube down your throat which is used for the surgery but help you breath also.  Don't wrry about it, they have it under control.

(deactivated member)
on 3/7/15 8:05 am

Thank you for your kind and supportive words, I really do appreciate them.

KewGirl
on 3/7/15 8:34 am

I was wondering about this myself. Thanks for asking.

jenorama
on 3/7/15 9:06 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

The hospital will probably ask you to bring it with you for use when you sleep post surgery. During surgery you won't need it as others have said. :D

Jen

hollykim
on 3/7/15 9:26 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 7, 2015 at 3:32 PM Pacific Time, Nataliesophia wrote:

I have sleep apnea and I use the CPAC. I'm worried about the impact of anesthesia and narcotics during and after surgery. I am going to discuss this concern with my surgeon and anesthesiologist before surgery although, I'm sure they have extensive experience in weight loss surgery and that they will take appropriate measures to maintain the airway for a safe surgery. Did you have any experiences during surgery with oxygen levels because of sleep apnea? Did anyone have difficulty with this during or after surgery? If so, what were they and how

the anesthisologist will be monitoring your oxygen level as well as every other level that has to do with breathing. They will know in a nanosecond if anything drops in the slightest. 

They are well equipped to keep you safe.

Meghan704
on 3/7/15 9:48 am
VSG on 06/16/15

Thank you for asking! I was worried too. My pulmonologist said it is extremely important to bring your machine to the hospital to use in recovery and when u are sleeping a few weeks there after as well. I guess you can stop breathing with the anesthesia and narcotics in your body and go into respiratory failure and even die. So they aren't kidding when they tell you to bring it and use it!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/7/15 11:08 am
RNY on 08/05/19

My experience was (thankfully) unusual.

I brought my CPAP to the hospital, but NOBODY ever hooked me up to it, neither in pre-op nor in recovery. Apparently my pulse/oxygen hit the floor as soon as they hit the "go" button for the anesthesia, and it took them an hour to get me stabilized enough for surgery. It then took an extra hour for them to wake me up for the same reason. I was on a cannula for oxygen when I was back in my room and I remember the nurses being pissy that my oxygen was so low, they accused me of taking it off though I was out of it that I couldn't have if I tried. I got the CPAP back before I left, so they didn't lose it, but I was completely mystified that nobody used it.

Once I got home, I hooked back up to the CPAP and had no problems at all.

The good news? Surgeons know how to deal with apnea... as long as they know about it. :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Alice9248
on 3/7/15 1:13 pm

Hopefully, Julie's case is the rarity.  (Sorry that happened to you.)  For me, everyone was very thorough about my CPAP machine and my apnea.  I was told they would leave the tube in a little longer after surgery than those who don't have apnea.  When I was in my room after surgery, the nurses even made sure I was hooked up before I fell asleep for the night.  The drugs make you pretty out of it so it was comforting that someone was looking out for that.  Be sure everyone knows and you'll be fine.

cappy11448
on 3/7/15 10:07 pm

I had severe sleep apnea, and I had no trouble during or after surgery.  They had me on oxygen after surgery so I didn't even use my cpap the first day (when I was sleeping a lot.)  Then at night they let me use the CPAP, but they were monitoring my blood oxygen levels, and said they'd put me back on oxygen if my blood oxygen level fell too much.  But there was no problem. 

If you are worried, talk to your doctor.  I suspect it is common practice to monitor blood oxygen levels after surgery, so they will catch any problems.

By the way, my sleep apnea went away when I lost weight.  No more CPAP for me! (happy! happy!)

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Most Active
Recent Topics