Dragon breath?

Journey2be
on 3/6/15 11:17 am

So I had my surgery Tuesday, and he also fixed a significant hiatal hernia at the same time. Well anyway, my husband and even my 6yr old commented on my bad breath the last day or so, I'm home from the hospital now and I don't notice it at all it's not coming from my mouth but my stomach, I've been brushing my teeth alot, I guess I just want to hear that this is just part of the healing process and that it will go away?

grayC
on 3/6/15 11:39 am
VSG on 05/01/13

Although your halitosis is right now from surgery..

don't hold your breath that it will get better anytime soon

especially if you follow the low carb diet, because when you burn ketones

it causes your body to go into ketosis which is a GOOD thing..

however, your breath OMG as my kids would say.."Mom your breath is kickin' like Karate!"

WELL WORTH IT..I personally invest heavily in altoids and gum...lots and lots of gum!! LOL!!

BlueHeron81
on 3/6/15 8:26 pm - MD
VSG on 01/30/15

I didn't think I could chew gum.  I heard something about sugar alcohol and gas production.  Does chewing gum cause you any problems with gas?

grayC
on 3/6/15 9:39 pm, edited 3/6/15 9:39 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

I avoided gum for about 3 months but started chewing again when I knew I was healed

from surgery..my Dr has no problem with it, says it's a myth that it will get suck in our sleeves

If swallowed, it passes like everything else, however every Drs plan is different..

I never heard about sugar alcohols or gas causing problems, and haven't had any issues.

psren13
on 3/7/15 6:23 am - NC
VSG on 03/11/15

I had to snicker at your post.  I posted earlier (MY DRUG) and brought up ketosis in the post.  I have noticed the past few mornings of waking up with a sort of sweet taste in my mouth although I have not had anything sweet.  This morning my granddaughter told me my breath smelled like poop..  Yuk   Thats when I remembered about ketosis.  You are so right on.   

Flabaway
on 3/6/15 1:41 pm
VSG on 01/05/15 with

Yes, probably ketosis. You can order profresh oral rinse from Amazon, it works really well and also comes with some tongue scrapers. 

Grim_Traveller
on 3/6/15 8:05 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

It means you're sticking to the plan. Ketosis is good. 

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Journey2be
on 3/6/15 8:38 pm

Well bummer, I wish that wasn't part of the deal. Yes I'm definitely sticking to the plan, I'm only on day 4, clear liquids, and some protein but focusing mostly on liquids.  Yesterday I got in 70oz of fluids 16oz of which was protein. I think that's good. They said my goal was 50gms of protein but I have 1 month to get up to that and to focus mostly on fluid intake for this beginning stage. So I was just glad I was able to get enough fluid.

csbsteph
on 3/6/15 10:25 pm - AL
VSG on 03/13/14

don't be surprised if you soon have stinky urine too.  Search ketosis, my daughter will now only kiss my cheek on the way out the door in the morning ...I brush, gargle & keep sf gum & mints handy.  Good luck

With God ALL things are possible! VSG 3/13/14 Dr. John Mathews

Most Active
Recent Topics