Pre-Op: I think I like food more than being thinner...

SleevedLife
on 3/6/15 1:06 am

Ok - thanks for the correction.  I bet I was thinking of some u.s. Insurance rules for coverage.  Sorry for my confusion.

But I still don't think WLS should be a method used for a "first major attempt" at weight loss. 

Nutshell:

Lost 140 lbs with VSG. (Hooray!!)

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

regained 40 lbs.   (grrrr!)

In summary: Alive & Grateful.   

hollykim
on 3/6/15 2:47 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 6, 2015 at 9:06 AM Pacific Time, SleevedLife wrote:

Ok - thanks for the correction.  I bet I was thinking of some u.s. Insurance rules for coverage.  Sorry for my confusion.

But I still don't think WLS should be a method used for a "first major attempt" at weight loss. 

your opinion is as valid as anyone else's but not everyone is of the same opinion as you.

Latina63
on 3/6/15 12:59 pm

Tbh that was one of the requirements when I applied for WLS, "have you tried all diets and have failed at keeping the weight off" that was one of my requirements, I guess because surgery is a permanent solution...

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/6/15 12:03 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Here's another way to frame it-- harsh but true:

Do you like type 2 diabetes and all of its complications more than you like food?

Do you like a higher risk of stroke or heart attack more than you like food?

Do you like arthritis and joint pain more than you like food?

Losing weight isn't all about looking different-- it's for your HEALTH. Only you can make that judgement.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

hollykim
on 3/6/15 12:07 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 5, 2015 at 9:48 PM Pacific Time, Laura_S wrote:

I am on day four of my pre-op liquid diet and I am a bit hungry. However, I'm also thinking more about the long term. Much of my social life and daily enjoyment revolves around food. I don't know that being thinner is worth giving that up. I don't have a long history of "yo-yo" dieting and haven't really lost weight with much success prior to starting the pre-op process about a year ago. I'm 5'6", my HW is 254 and my current weight is 231 (after losing about 9 lb so far on the liquid diet). I'm 34. Part of me thinks that I haven't tried enough weight loss methods. Part of me thinks I won't lose weight unless I have surgery. And part of me thinks I'll miss the foods I like too much to make the restriction and weight loss worth it. Did you guys have these concerns and how did you solve them? Any of you not really have weight loss success before?

Thanks for any input!

Laura

have you ever been thin? You can't make a comparison like this if you haven't experienced both side of the equation. 

Beth Of Fletchair
on 3/6/15 7:54 am

You don't have to be an expert to have an opinion or make a comparison.  If you are rich, you don't need to have been poor to imagine that it isn't any fun. 

hollykim
on 3/6/15 8:31 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 6, 2015 at 3:54 PM Pacific Time, Beth Of Fletchair wrote:

You don't have to be an expert to have an opinion or make a comparison.  If you are rich, you don't need to have been poor to imagine that it isn't any fun. 

no,you don't have to be an expert,but it helps to have a working knowledge. You can imagine all you want to but that doesn't take the place of first hand experience.

linison
on 3/6/15 1:15 am
VSG on 10/13/14 with

Hey Laura - 

My life revolves around a lot of entertaining, restaurants, ad foods as well.  I'm currently almost 5 months post-op sleeve.  I decided to have surgery for my health, ad because I could not get and stay pregnant where I was at, and that was something that was really important to me.  

Anyway, I can happily tell you that I still entertain, go out to restaurants, and eat delicious food post-op.  I have become the world's cheapest date.  My husband and I really enjoy trying new restaurants, and we do it every week or so.  Used to, we'd both order something big and share bites, but both end up eating the whole thing.  Now, he orders something big, I order a salad, side, or small plate of some sort, and I usually swipe some of his protein and have a (very delicious) bite of whatever he's eating.  I enjoy food every bit as much now as I did before.  

I play hostess for a group of rad people in my town all the time too, for themed dinner parties, game nights, all kinds of things.  I have switched from the dessert girl to making a protein-packed dip or appetizer type thing, and I make sure to get my protein in even when there's a TON of food in my kitchen.  I started packing up to-go containers for guests instead of keeping all the leftovers in my fridge...but the parties are still a lot of fun.  I still participate, I still enjoy cooking.  

Don't know if this helps assuage your fears or not, but just know that you can still enjoy the things you enjoy after surgery.  It just happens in a different way.  I have no regrets

DeborahMc
on 3/8/15 10:17 am

Helped me ! Thanks :)

...I am fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world

Melanielw
on 3/6/15 5:36 am
VSG on 01/21/15

I had doubts before weight loss surgery but I am glad I did it. Yes I still have cravings, and I wish I could eat certain things. I just think about how much better my life is going to be without those things and how much healthier I will be. One thing you have to do is find something to focus your mind on besides food. Like others said food can no longer be the center of your world anymore. I think you will find once you have the surgery there will be a lot of things you once ate you won't want anymore. Your taste buds do change some (or at least mine did). Only you can make the decision whether or not you are ready. Good luck to you! 

Most Active
Recent Topics