When did you guys have your first bm after surgery?

Queen_Q89
on 3/4/15 1:50 pm, edited 3/4/15 1:52 pm - FL
VSG on 02/19/15

I'm 15 days post sleeve and I have to admit I don't eat a lot. I'm back and forth between the full and clear liquids phase of the diet. I have not been able to make a bowel movement yet. I took a suppository and I still had no luck. I have not been getting any protein in but I have been staying hydrated. Should I be worried about this? What can I do? What did you guys do if you experienced this?

mickeymantle
on 3/4/15 2:59 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I had one after about 1 week I would check with my surgeon if I was you in the morning to make shore everything is working ok

are you taking pain killers narcotics slow everything down big time , but surgery can stop everything and you might need the surgeon to get things going again

I would not worry but best to check

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

MarcyisMyName
on 3/4/15 11:09 pm

I had one at 13 days out. I did stool softeners, laxatives, and finally a fleet enema. Nothing worked. Then I searched this site for ways to relieve constipation and found a post where someone said they filled their enema bottle with warm water and a few squirts of hand soap and used that. I can't remember if it worked the first time or second, but that was what finally got me moving. Hope that helps. 

susan88
on 3/4/15 11:32 pm
VSG on 08/08/14 with

Everyone is different.  Things were moving for me by the 3rd day but I added unflavored protein right away to my broths and tea. The first thing I noticed in your post is that you aren't getting any protein.  That is so important.  At 2 weeks post op you should be getting your protein. 

Luvmygs
on 3/4/15 11:52 pm
VSG on 12/04/14

It took me about 2 weeks to have my first BM. We had some major changes in our diet, it will come soon enough and you really can't compare to other people. We all have different experiences. I started taking some stool softeners and I also took Miralax in my protein shakes daily. Miralax is very safe to take daily. Most important that you focus on staying hydrated. Definitely talk to your doctor and make them aware of your situation.

Valerie G.
on 3/4/15 11:55 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I couldn't leave the hospital until I had one...then I got constipated when I got home.  Get your 64oz of fluids, eat some fat and try Milk of Magnesia to get things softened enough to make their exit.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

drea29
on 3/5/15 1:48 am

It took me 12 days.  I didn't have any pain meds, but nothing wanted to move.  I started using Miralax and nothing.  The MOM finally did it.  Using the Miralax was helpful in keeping things moving in the beginning.  Now when I do very low carb I need something to help.

Rachel M.
on 3/5/15 1:48 am
VSG on 12/31/14

What worked for me was Dulcolax Pink. It's for sensitive stomachs and the pill is really small so it's easy to swallow.

{ HW:275 | CW:166.6 | GW:145 | TL:108.4 }    

VSG on 12/31/2014 with Dr. John Kelly at UMASS Memorial.   

hollykim
on 3/5/15 1:51 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 4, 2015 at 9:50 PM Pacific Time, Queen_Q89 wrote:

I'm 15 days post sleeve and I have to admit I don't eat a lot. I'm back and forth between the full and clear liquids phase of the diet. I have not been able to make a bowel movement yet. I took a suppository and I still had no luck. I have not been getting any protein in but I have been staying hydrated. Should I be worried about this? What can I do? What did you guys do if you experienced this?

at mort than two weeks withno BM,I would definitely be  worried. 

I would check. Withmy surgeon about a plan. If he hs no advice,I would be taking MOm at least twice a day until I got an. Action. 

rumpole6
on 3/5/15 6:16 am

It took me almost two weeks and I had to take MOM for two days. Once things are moving, Miralax is usually enough.

Preop Diet 10/4/14; Sleeve: 10/13/14

Most Active
Recent Topics