Can you fail the cardiac stress test due to shortness of breath caused by obesity ......

(deactivated member)
on 3/8/15 3:41 am

Can you fail the cardiac stress test due to shortness of breath caused by obesity, lack of fitness and respiratory allergy and not linked to heart problems?  My electrocardiograms have always been excellent and my blood pressure always under control.  I have had 2 stress test in the past and I passed them but I remember the last one was very hard to pass because I was too tired and my knee was hurting.

I have breathing difficulties that alleviates with nasonex spray, allegra or the advair disk. I don't have asthma but breathlessness due to obesity, allergies and probably sleep apnea (I use the CPAC). I'm really concerned about not passing the cardiac stress test. I have read that if you are not able to exercise, you will get a drug such as dobutamine through a vein (intravenous line). This medicine will make your heart beat faster and harder, similar to when you exercise.  Any information you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Grim_Traveller
on 3/8/15 4:18 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Shortness of breath doesn't mean there is anything wrong with your heart. If you do too much activity, too fast, EVERYONE will get shortness of breath. Even an Olympic athlete. It doesn't take nearly as much activity when you're badly out of shape. Many of us got shortness of breath walking up a flight of stairs. Some from just tying their shoes.

You can still have heart problems, but you won't be able to diagnose it yourself.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Grim_Traveller
on 3/8/15 4:21 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Yes, if they are worried about your ability to use a treadmill, they will give you an IV to do the cardiac stress test.

Don't cause yourself stress. You can't study for any of these tests. Most likely you'll do fine.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 3/8/15 6:19 am

Thanks so much for your response. You are so right there is no reason to be worried. I believe that most of the stress in our lives is unnecessary, and that it can be reduced.

carimary
on 3/8/15 6:30 am

Either way you will be fine. It will be really easy.

(deactivated member)
on 3/8/15 10:28 am

Thank you very much

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/8/15 10:54 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I was in a similar situation to you when I had my test. I hopped on the treadmill and got wheezy quickly because I was overweight and out of shape. I've also had asthma issues as well. I couldn't run very long, but I managed to do it long enough to get my heart rate where they needed it, no need to use any meds.

Just one person's experience, but hopefully it helps :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Oneillch
on 3/8/15 11:27 am
VSG on 02/04/15

I was afraid of the same thing and this was the last obstacle before surgery. The technician performing the test was fantastick and helped me to get through it. She let me know that I needed to just get to 5 minutes and as I was having so much trouble catching my breath she cheered me on till I made it. The doctor was an a$&hole though. The consultation was a week later by phone and he made some nasty comment about me only giving it 5 minutes. Bottom line, I passed. 

I have asthma and a bad knee and this was not easy. Just take your Advair in the morning before the test and keep in mind that you want this surgery and you are not going to let this stop you.

Mary Gee
on 3/9/15 9:50 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14
I couldn't do the stress test because of mobility problems, and had to have the if -- wasn't fun, but not horrible either. And I had already been diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure -- diagnosed when I went to have a nerve conduction study, and mentioned in passing I was having trouble catching my breath. I thought it was due to the humid weather -- ended up in the hospital for a week. Better to be diagnosed, than not. Even with CHF, I qualified for surgery.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/15 10:17 am

Believe me please, I was not trying to convince anyone that I dont have a heart problem.. Why would I do that for? And the point was not if I had or had not a heart problem...the point was my respiratory allergy as an impediment to have the physical stress test, that was the reason why I named the medications I take because I feel nervous about the intravenous method. I will have any test they will tell me to have. I'm not scared of heart problems. I think most of you misunderstood what I stated. I wish I could write clearer and more precise.

Most Active
Recent Topics