For the Maintenance Vets: Calories or Carbs?

MissNexxie
on 3/7/15 3:16 am
VSG on 04/30/14

Hello All:

I'm seeking the advice of those who've been successful in maintenance for some time.  I reached goal recently (yay!) and am struggling to figure out what to do now.  My dietician has been suggesting for some time that I add more carbs & fiber into my diet but as a carb-addict this has not gone well for me.  I've allowed carbs into my life a few times on this journey and it's led to huge cravings, weight gain and bloating.  Not to mention more than a little self-loathing at how quickly carbs affect me. I now limit my carbs to fruits and veggies and a little oat bran for breakfast.  This has worked marvelously for my weight loss phase.

Now that I'm working on maintenance and hoping to stay lower carb (say 100g per day, likely lower) should I still be counting calories? And by this I mean is it ok to indulge in higher calorie low carb foods (like pork rinds, fuller fat cheese, occasional bacon) and pay more attention to the carbs than calories, while being mindful of portions?   Or do I stick with counting calories? I've had success in the past with an Atkins type diet where I didn't even count calories, just carbs, and am wondering how that bodes with a sleeve.  I'm at about 1200-1300 cals per day right now.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Valerie G.
on 3/7/15 7:19 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I never once counted calories - and am mindful of simple carbs, but I don't really even count them, either. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

happyteacher
on 3/7/15 7:23 am

Pay attention to both. 

TeashaLorna
on 3/7/15 7:26 am - Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada

I have been in maintenance for over a year now and I do have higher carb things, but only occassionaly. I stick with the higher fat items, like avocados and nuts and full fat cheeses. That works for me, I like you when I have carbs it leads to terrible cravings and battling to get back off them. Even though I still do have an ice cream cone once in a while or a muffin etc as a treat. I do still count calories and I range between 800 to 1800 calories a day. Never averaging more than 1300 calories a day over a seven day period. The higher calorie days are days when I run more than a 5K run. Good luck!

Dr Ponce de Leon Mexico     VSG 4 Jun 12. I lost 57 lbs on my own before having a VSG. This is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Stacy_WLS
on 3/7/15 11:08 am

I've been kind of maintaining for the past 9 months -- have lost ~10 lbs over that time.  I'm still figuring this out.  I do eat more carbs than before.  When I have fruit & things like sweet potatos it does not cause problems -- the strait processed sugar definitely is a big prob.  So maybe see if more whole healthy carbs work.  I do watch my calories and focus on protein still.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Spencerella
on 3/7/15 11:52 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

For me, successful maintemance has been based on finding the number of calories that allows me to stay at the weight that is right for me. I'm far enough along that I know what to eat each day, but it took some time to know that. I religiously counted calories until I knew my 'number' and then again until I had done it long enough to know what that looks like day to day. 

When I counted calories I also counted carbs. Not to directly influence my weight but moreso to track how high my cravings were at various levels. For me, about  100-120 gr keeps me in check. If I consistently eat more carbs, I start craving, which leads me to eat more calories. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

White Dove
on 3/7/15 11:53 am - Warren, OH

The only thing that works for me is counting calories.  If I eat too many I gain and then I cut back on calories until I lose the weight again.  I don't worry about carbs at all. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

pineview01
on 3/7/15 12:07 pm - Davison, MI

Now that I'm working on maintenance and hoping to stay lower carb (say 100g per day, likely lower) should I still be counting calories? And by this I mean is it ok to indulge in higher calorie low carb foods (like pork rinds, fuller fat cheese, occasional bacon) and pay more attention to the carbs than calories, while being mindful of portions?   Or do I stick with counting calories? I've had success in the past with an Atkins type diet where I didn't even count calories, just carbs, and am wondering how that bodes with a sleeve.  I'm at about 1200-1300 cals per day right now.

This is what works with me too.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

frisco
on 3/7/15 2:36 pm

My opinion is that maintenance is ultimately all about the calories.

Mix up your food and nutrition ratios any way you want, weight control is all about caloric intake.

Can some do it without keeping track calories and just eat "mindfully"...... yes, but most can't.

You actually have a very healthy grasp and awareness of your boundaries and will get yourself tuned into a flow that works for you.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Grim_Traveller
on 3/7/15 10:34 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I track every calorie, even from vitamins.

Calories control weight, and carbs control cravings. In my opinion both are important.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Recent Topics