I need advice..one month out and gaining

BlueHeron81
on 3/6/15 8:20 pm - MD
VSG on 01/30/15

My surgeon is supposed to ok the weights after my one month follow up appointment which I have next week. I'm sure it shouldn't be a problem since I've been pretty active since surgery.  I had to shovel snow at three weeks out.

Gwen M.
on 3/7/15 10:12 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I was only allowed to walk for the first 6 weeks post-op.  You should ask your surgeon for their specific requirements.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Luvmygs
on 3/6/15 5:43 am
VSG on 12/04/14

I was in a 2 week stall at 2 months and realized that eating cream of wheat was way too many carbs. What helped me alot was going on myfitnesspal.com and this helped to keep track of my carbs and protein. Try eating eggs, turkey bacon or it really doesn't have to be breakfast food. Sometimes I'll have a slice of turkey with cheese or Greek yogurt. Good luck. You'll start losing once you start keeping track of your food intake.

Latina63
on 3/6/15 12:43 pm

I was allowed cream of wheat at my 3rd week, I never really cared for hot cereals so no prob here, I tried it one time for variety and tummy did NOT agree with it lol

BlueHeron81
on 3/6/15 8:23 pm - MD
VSG on 01/30/15

Cream of wheat is allowed on my soft foods list with a half scoop of protein powder.  I may not have been adding enough protein powder.  I was using Unjury unflavored and the smell is horrible when mixed. But I'm going to take the advice of the folks on here and cut it out for now.

Nikke2003
on 3/6/15 11:19 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Just as a tip - from my experience. There are a lot of plans that "allow" a lot of things, but that does not mean that it is optimal food for weight loss. My surgeon's office releases you and "allows" for anything past 2 months....but that certainly doesn't mean I'm going to eat many of the things I wanted to at that point.

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

BlueHeron81
on 3/7/15 12:36 am - MD
VSG on 01/30/15

You're right.  I'm learning the importance of high protein, low carb.  It's essential for weight loss.

Nikke2003
on 3/7/15 12:44 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

It really is. I have eased up on worrying about carbs - but that's because I've been maintaining for a year now. If I really wanted to be losing again, I would have to tighten up. One thing I can ABSOLUTELY tell you is that those kinds of foods - the simple, starchy carbs, and sugar will also make you feel much hungrier. It sucks. Better to just avoid it for as long as you can to optimize your weight loss while it's early and easier!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

TeashaLorna
on 3/7/15 7:55 am, edited 3/7/15 7:57 am - Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada

You will need to figure out what works for you. Just because something is allowed does not mean you should eat it. I had to monitor and still do everything I eat and somethings that I can have, just don't work for me. Just be careful of falling into the mind set of it says I can. It is a journey of determining what works for you. We are all different.

My plan to allowed for cerels etc. I never ate any simple carbs in almost two years. A typical day for me was.

B: Protein Shake - made with water 130 calories; 30 grms protein; 2 grms carbs

L:  Turkey breast meat about 1.5 oz a piece of celery

S: Chicken, turkey, beef which ever about 1.5 oz and a piece of veggies

S: Protein shake again Totalling under 800 calories

Some days I had a mini babybel for snack.  I kept it clean clean clean and never ate, potatoes, pasta, bread, rice, cereal.  Even now will only have a little bit of potato, rice or cereal about once a month.

I was lucky I got to see the advice of Vets on here like Frisco and Elina. I asked them how they got where they are and how they were keeping it and they graciously shared. I followed them, because they had/have what I want. I'm not saying it was/is easy; but like Frisco said it is DETERMINATION that will get you there.

Dr Ponce de Leon Mexico     VSG 4 Jun 12. I lost 57 lbs on my own before having a VSG. This is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Gwen M.
on 3/7/15 10:13 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Cream of wheat and mashed potatoes were allowed on my plan.  But, just because they were allowed, didn't mean I ate them!  I stuck to foods that were naturally protein rich.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics