Hair Loss: For those who have had previous non WLS surgeries

samanthalc
on 3/5/15 3:01 am
with

Hello, I am having my procedure in a few months.  I'm worried about hair loss, because my hair is thin to start with!

For those of you that have had other surgeries before your WLS:  If you are experiencing/experienced hair loss, did you do so with other surgeries?

I'm looking for anecdotal information and views on whether the hair loss is related to anesthesia or rapid weight loss.  or both?

J Connel
on 3/5/15 3:12 am
VSG on 04/13/15

Hi samanthalc,

I'm pre-op right now, but I can tell you that I've been shedding since December.  In October I started with my supervised weight loss program and was immediately thrown into a low carb, 1200 calorie diet.  The shedding started exactly 2 months from that start date and has yet to let up.  I know that it will, but it hasn't cooperated quite yet.  

I've only had 1 surgery and that was a c-section.  I never lost hair after that surgery.  I can say that my hair loss at this point is 100% to do with the drastic reduction in carbs and calories.

JC 5'3" HW: 283.2 SW: 224.6 CW: 140.0  M1: -20.0 M2: -10.2 M3: -13.6 M4: -6.4 M5: -7.2 M6: -7.8 M7: -6.2  M8: -5.8 M9: -2.2 M10: -5

GOAL WEIGHT ACHIEVED 2/2/16 

Follow my blog at: www.sleeveforme2014.wordpress.com

samanthalc
on 3/5/15 3:45 am
with

Thanks very much!  This is helpful (also, depressing!) 

I was hoping I'd be one of the lucky ones since I've not lost hair after previous surgeries.

Valerie G.
on 3/5/15 3:44 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The loss after surgery is called telogen effluvium.  It occurs a few months after surgery, lasts a few months and stops. 

Any loss after this phase may be an indicator to another problem, most commonly malnutrition in the wls community.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

jgreenlee12
on 3/5/15 4:20 am
VSG on 12/08/14

I also have VERY thin hair and I was hoping the same since I have had several surgeries in the past and never lost hair. But I am 12 weeks out and have started losing ALOT of hair. (of course it may not be a lot compared to other people but I don't have much to lose. I am already in the "comb over" stage.

samanthalc
on 3/5/15 4:49 am
with

So, I'm a scientist.  I've spent the afternoon researching scientific journals on causes for acute and rapid hair loss.  Rapid weight loss is associated with hair loss, most likely because of changes to blood chemistry from crash diets or illness.  But- I found something that I think is relevant:  LOW CARB diets are also associated with sudden hair loss.  Try adding complex carbs to your diet (it's hard, I know) but maybe add some beans, etc.

I'd appreciate if you could let me know how it goes if you do try it.

jenn1469
on 3/5/15 5:17 am

Well I have had 24 surgeries do bone defect. I have never loss hair. With wls I lost my hair. My hair is thin too start with also and you can even tell I lost hair. I didn't cut my hair either mine is still long. 

Jennifer

TexasLady52
on 3/5/15 5:33 am
Revision on 06/10/14

I guess I am a rare one?  I had emergency hysterectomy several years back and I nearly went bald....started about 90 days after the surgery.  Doctor said it was from the shock my body went through.  I was prepared to lose it again this time.  I am eight months out and have not lost any...in fact my hair is thicker and has gotten curly.....I have never had curly hair in my life.  I went in to have my hair cut last week and my beauty operator asked me what was going on with my hair...I said I don't know but I have curls...she replied... I see that!!!  LOL....I have kept my protein up from day one.....I get my protein, vitamins and water in everyday....thought maybe that was why?

samanthalc
on 3/5/15 5:38 am
with

I'm already taking daily bariatric vitamins (as of today) hoping I'm like you :)

csbsteph
on 3/5/15 5:56 am - AL
VSG on 03/13/14

Hi, I had my surgery almost a year ago and experienced a little loss and thinning; I had an undiagnosed thyroid disorder before surgery and lost lots of hair before being put on synthroid...the few other surgeries that I've had I also experienced some hair loss afterwards but nothing too severe.  This happens to a lot of WLS folks...some folks say that taking biotin and a hair skin and nails supplement doens't work for them but the supplments seem to work for me, I also use garnier fall fight shampoo and conditioner which is available at Wal-mart and most other stores and I have more breakage when I don't use it.  It happens but it's temporary, hair loss is depressing for anybody but hang in there more than likely it won't be noticable. Regular trims have also helped me.  Best wishes and stay strong.

With God ALL things are possible! VSG 3/13/14 Dr. John Mathews

Most Active
Recent Topics