Fork in the Road

ocean4dlm
on 3/6/15 7:08 pm - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

I have lost and regained 120+ pounds twice... not to mention all of the times I've lost and regained smaller amounts. The last tome was two years ago, when I lost 175 doing OA, exercise, and healthy diet.  I came the closest I've ever come to maintaining, but by Christmas 2014, had regained 80. I am so over doing this to myself and my body.

I started the process for a VSG in January 2015. On 03/20, the majority of my requirements will have been accomplished. I have no co-morbidities, but my quality of life is declining. I have a total knee replacement pending. I have lost 24 pounds since my initial consult. I am within 10 pounds of a BMI under 40. I met with the NUT last week, she said that my insurance would withdraw approval (which hasn't even been sought yet) if my BMI is below 40 at any point before surgery. She's modified my diet to more of a maintenance plan.

I don't seethe surgeon until early April, and am hoping for surgery in mid-May. Now, I'm at fork in the road.  Part of me wants to forge ahead with the healthy living plan that is working for me, learn from my past mistakes, and just do it without the surgery. The other voice says, "You've regained it every other time.... why do the same thing you've always done, and expect different results?" 

Here's  where I need some input.  Taking off the weight has not been the issue for me. I'm counting on the sleeve as being a tool to help me keep it off. I realize that how well the tool will work is directly related to how well I care for the tool. I believe that I can take care of my sleeve. That being said, am I off base in counting on the sleeve to make maintenance different this time? 

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

cappy11448
on 3/6/15 7:49 pm

I can relate to so much of what you said.  I also had several successful times of weight loss and always gained it back - at a ferocious rate!  When I started my preop diet, I was also very successful and wondered if I could do it without surgery.  But the first time I had some stress in my life, I remembered how it failed in the past and I knew that I couldn't do it on my own.  I'm so glad I went ahead and had the surgery.

Because of the parallels with my experience, I am betting you will have the same positive experience with the surgery. 

The surgery really changes our bodies and it makes it possible to succeed.  I am almost 2 years post op, I've lost 225 pounds.  My BMI went from 60 to 24, and I am now a normal weight.  My knees and back are better. No more CPAP.  I wear normal sized clothing, and my energy is better than ever.  The surgery really works. 

Best of luck on your weight loss journey.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

NoRegrets4Me
on 3/6/15 10:16 pm
VSG on 04/21/15

I've had the same thought! I had in the past lost 100 pounds with diet and exercise, but with years of ups and downs with struggling to get pregnant. After having my daughter last year I decided to do the VSG, I started last July with all the required appointments (including the 6 month doctor asst. weight loss plan). I have lost 35 lbs and I'm excited about it, but I'm scheduled for surgery April 21st. I have had the thought like you "maybe I can do this" but in reality I know I need this tool to get the weight off and keep it off.....you'll have to make that decision on your own, only you know if you can truly do this on your own or if you too need this tool. Good luck either way!!

White Dove
on 3/6/15 10:22 pm - Warren, OH

You can eat healthy foods without losing any more weight.  Weigh yourself daily and don't go under 40 BMI.  I was in the same boat and still gave up sugar, soda, potatoes, rice, bread, candy, pastries.  I maintained at 40 BMI for six months until I got insurance approval. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

shorty71
on 3/6/15 11:19 pm - CT
VSG on 04/01/14 with

I thought the same thing but because of my past experienced of always regaining i opted to continue with surgery. So glad i did!

Sasny
on 3/7/15 10:43 am
VSG on 03/20/12

I've never been able to maintain a weightloss prior to my surgery.  I will be three years out in a couple of weeks and weigh today within a pound or so the same weight for the past two or so years.  I love it switching from season to season and weighing the same and being able to wear the same clothes.  When I had my surgery I had about 90-100 lbs to lose and I remember asking my surgeon if the surgery was too drastic for me.  He answered the chance of me being able to lose the weight and keep it off on my own was less than 5%.  I am so happy I had the surgery.  Maintenance is so much easier because my hunger is greatly decreased and my capacity is significantly less.  Even though I can eat a lot more than I could post surgery I still can't eat much.  For example tonight we took the kids out for pizza - all I can eat is about 3/4s of a piece and a few forkfuls of salad.   With that amount I am full and content.  So it is much easier to maintain.  Good luck with your decision.

Most Active
Recent Topics