How did you feel post op e.g. like you had been hit by a mack truck or fine???

sleeve_scholar
on 3/4/15 5:28 am
VSG on 03/09/15

Hey folks,

Just curious to know how you felt after surgery. Was the first or second day the worst in terms of pain? Did you have a lot of strength or how different did you feel before having the surgery. I like to be prepared and my surgery is Monday, Mar. 9th.

Nicki08
on 3/4/15 5:41 am
VSG on 09/15/14

I had very minimal pain..just kinda out of it...

mickeymantle
on 3/4/15 6:00 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

whebn I first woke up I felt like I wa**** by a train but a few minutes latter the corrected the does of my pain meds and there was little pain

for the next day or so some gas pain in my shoulder , a hot towel does wonders for that

when I went home I took the persrition pain killers only at night for 2 nights during the day Tylenol worked fine by the end of the week all was great

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

NikkyBeauty
on 3/4/15 6:46 am - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

When I woke up I felt like a elephant was sitting on my chest and I was being gut punched by a MMA fighter lol I was all loopy and complaining and they gave me medicine next thing I remeber I was in my room talking nonsense to my family lol the pain is not bad they dope you up and your good! it's the Godforsaken GAS!! the second day it gets better your walking and the gas is releasing just take it easy and the pain meds will keep you out of pain I'm two weeks post op (2/18/2015 surgery date) 

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

Miss_Abbey
on 3/4/15 7:00 am

The Gas pain is the worst!  That will go on for a couple of days.  Make sure to take your pain meds as prescribed.  Walk walk walk the gas out.  I am just very tired.  That will come from not eating a lot of calories.  Since you are on liquids, your body won't have a lot of energy.

I am a week out.  VSG was done on 2/25.  Good Luck to you!

Miss_Abbey

clarkahill
on 3/4/15 7:19 am

When I was in the recovery room I was in a lot of pain, but they quickly got that under control.  About 2 hours after surgery I was back in my room with a little discomfort, but they control the pain with morphine (at least where I had surgery).  I had a lot of back pain & they gave me a heating pad.  I was up & walking around within hours after my surgery.  You are not going to feel like doing much for at least a week and possible even 2 weeks.  The pain is minimal...compared to the discomfort of not being able to eat that first week.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/4/15 7:49 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I felt fine.  They hooked me up to a pain pump so I was feeling no pain at all.  I walked around the unit several times the night of surgery without any problems.  I kept pushing the pain pump button everything was wunnerful  

I didn't take any pain meds once I came home from the hospital (two days after surgery).   I was surprised how easy the surgery and pain management was.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Amy M.
on 3/4/15 9:15 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

When I woke up the pain was horrible.  But this is on purpose.  They want to make sure you come out of the anesthesia before they give you pain meds.  With the pain meds the pain pretty much goes away.  Once you get home the gas pain is the worst.  It sits in your shoulder and the only thing that worked for me to get rid of it was walking (or sleeping...you don't feel pain when you sleep).  But walking was also painful because of the surgery.  It felt like my stomach was ripping away from my body.  The pain for me was bad the first week and then got better after that.  It basically turned into dull soreness.  The first week or so I was diligent on my pain meds to get through it.  I'm a big baby though.  And this was my first surgery ever.  Just walk, take your pain meds when you need them, and rest.  Remember the recovery is only temporary and it'll all be worth it in the end.

midiva
on 3/4/15 9:38 am - MD

I had my surgery last week on 2/23.  I had very little pain.  My major complaint was nausea!!!!  It took about 18-24 hours before the nausea was under control.  I stayed 2 nights in the hospital.  I walked frequently which may be why I didn't experience the gas pain.

:

Beth Of Fletchair
on 3/4/15 9:42 am

I felt fine.  I didn't need pain meds and I was up and walking in about 4 hours. Just gas for the first day.

Most Active
Recent Topics