I have a cold and I cannot reschedule my surgery!

TanyaR
on 2/25/15 11:04 pm

Hey everyone I am having surgery in Mexico this saturday. I am a mother of 2 and had to find the perfect schedule to have this procedure done, and it took about 7 months before I fully committed. I am so upset because after 2 weeks of fighting of everyone who had a cold and escaping the cold even from my own children, this lady at walmart sneezes straight on me! I was a little mad because that is rude but now I'm even more mad because I woke up with an itchy throat and mildly congested! It feels like a dry cough, really dry and I am not dripping any mucous. Is there any way I can still have surgery? I cannot afford to reschedule :(. What can I take? I need to have this surgery but I am also afraid of complications. Please any advice will help, did any of you have surgery while having a mild cold? Thank you.

Bufflehead
on 2/25/15 11:13 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Not me, but I have seen several posts here on the same topic and the general rule seems to be they will still do your surgery unless you have a fever. You may want to check with your coordinator though.

The best thing for a cold is fluids and rest, so do your best with that in the meantime.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 2/25/15 11:59 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

I had a cold or a cough or both (can't recall exactly) before surgery and also could not reschedule and my surgeon said it would be fine - they gave me a dose or IV antibiotics during surgery and I woke up sleeved and without a cold...magic cure! Ask your surgery coordinator what they recommend you to do especially any meds that you might want to take you want to clear that with them so close to surgery. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

TruemansMom
on 2/26/15 12:11 am
VSG on 06/24/13

I have had good luck using a product called ColdCalm (Bioron) this winter. Also Oscillo****inum helps get rid of viruses in my system really well. Look for them i the supplements department or online. But do it fast, you have to take them the first day or two to get excellent results. Tho the ColdCalm will dry up my sniffles and stop a cough anywhere in the process. 

As for surgery while sick, maybe your guy will be accommodating as Julia's. Just be sure they know you have a cold.

Jan D.  5'-8", highest wt 231, surgery wt 213

emelar
on 2/26/15 12:51 am - TX

As long as it doesn't move into your lungs and you have no fever, they can still perform surgery.  When they intubate you, the tube bypasses the head cold.  But if it's moved into your chest, you're out of luck.

Take some Emergen-C or something like it, and try not to let it get any worse.

mickeymantle
on 2/26/15 2:06 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

as long as you don't have a lot of congestion   they should do the surgery but call the surgeons office

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/26/15 4:17 am
RNY on 08/05/19

The final decision to perform surgery or not is made by the doctor. Call the doctor ASAP, both to get more information on what you can/should take, as well as to give them some advance notice. (Couldn't hurt!)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Valerie G.
on 2/26/15 6:36 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

If you haven't had any real symptoms settle in and are still just feeling "ICK", swallow a clove of garlic or take a garlic pill ASAP.  Garlic has antibiotic and anti-viral qualities and has been chasing away colds for me for a decade.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Jenbaby75
on 2/26/15 5:53 pm
I had a little wheeze the day of my surgery. The anesthesiologist will evaluate you, and let you know if it is safe. In my case, it was allergies. I received an albuteral breathing treatment, and the anesthesioogist okay'd me for surgery. My sleeve was done in 45 min, and I have had zero complications. I was a little low on oxygen afterwards, but that is common for me after general anesthesia. Good luck!
Marianne H.
on 2/27/15 9:50 am - Alanson, MI
Revision on 03/31/15

I had a cold and congestion when I had my surgery.  They did a chest xray, gave me some breathing treatments,  and took me to OR. You'll be fine.  Good luck! 

Most Active
Recent Topics