Honest Answers Please

kerbear1969
on 2/25/15 8:07 pm - MD

Why did you choose this option over RNY?  Did you have any complications? Would you do it again if given the choice?  How much weight have you lost?

Thanks in advance for all your insight 

jenn1469
on 2/25/15 8:25 pm

I have lost 73 pounds I pretty much I at weight due to Im pretty small. I had sleeve because my insurance gave me choice of sleeve or band. Glad got the sleeve It has really worked for me I lost all my weight in about 5 mos Im now at 8 mos and haven't gained any back.

Jennifer

PrayMore
on 2/25/15 9:11 pm

I never considered RNY. MY BMI was 37.5 when I consulted for surgery. I chose sleeve and I'm so happy that I did. I'm only three months out of surgery. No complications after surgery. Within the first week, I was walking. I've lost 55 lbs. since the pre-op diet started two weeks prior to the surgery. I'm so happy that I made the decision to have WLS! I wish you the best in your journey and your decision-making. 

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

momsy55
on 2/25/15 9:34 pm - ME

I didn't want RNY from the outset, as I didn't like the idea of re-routing and malabsorption.  I originally asked about a referral for the band.  My pcp said to keep an open mind about RNY (neither of us had info on the sleeve at that time), as many of her band patients ended up revising to RNY.  I was willing to listen, but really didn't want to go that way.  After I heard about the sleeve and did more research, it seemed that the risks were less with the sleeve, my stomach would function more normally, and I wouldn't have the malabsorption piece.  I had no complications at all, with a very easy recovery.  I lost about 122 lbs., though after I got to maintenance, I gained some weight, first from trying to find the right balance of calories and carbs, then I got too complacent.  When my clothes started getting tight again, and I felt uncomfortable in my own skin, I realized I needed to get back on track, and am losing the weight I gained.  I would have the sleeve again in a heartbeat!  I am much healthier now - type 2 diabetes has been in remission since surgery; sleep apnea is cleared up; my cholesterol is better; and my blood pressure, which was not well controlled with 3 meds, is now controlled with 1 (family history, so no matter my weight, I'll probably always need a med for BP).  My mobility improved 10 fold, though I still have to have a knee replacement.  I was able to go on a trip with my daughter and her class and walk miles every day, keeping up with the much younger moms, and I will be in my 4th dance recital in May.   Having said all of this, whether you choose the sleeve or RNY, it is only a tool - the rest is up to you.  That point was driven home to me with the weight gain I experienced.  Luckily I caught it before it got too out of hand.  Best of luck to you in whatever yopu decide!

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

mmsmom
on 2/25/15 9:34 pm - Woburn, MA

Chose sleeve because it's close to being "normal" as you eat and digest like anyone else just with a small stomach.  It has been nothing short of miraculous for me.  No complications, no regrets.  I have lost 86 lbs and am at goal,w oo ooooo

VSG on 04/28/2014

susan88
on 2/25/15 10:44 pm
VSG on 08/08/14 with

I never considered RNY because my BMI was 36 and I didn't want the malabsorption and potential complications of RNY and I knew too many lap band clients with complications.  The sleeve was the ideal tool for me because of the low complication rate and high success rate. 

I was amazed how quickly I recovered. The only complication I had was a reaction to the adhesive in my bandages.  I do have to take a PPI now when I never had to prior to surgery but that is a small price to pay for getting my health and life back. It is the only medication I take.

My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. I feel like a new person and have more energy than I have had in years. I have lost 78 pounds in 6 months and my blood pressure and blood work are all normal now.  I no longer wake up in pain. It is a new lease on life for me.

Good luck with your decision.

Stacy_WLS
on 2/25/15 10:53 pm

When I first decided to have WLS I wanted the RNY (or the DS)  if I was going to do it -- I wanted the best results!  After finding my surgeon, they only had a self pay option for the sleeve.  I did more research and saw the results were comparative and there were less risks w/ the sleeve.  I also liked the reduction in the hunger hormone from the sleeve.

I lost ~110 lbs.  I've been maintaining (slowly losing a bit more) for over 6 months.  It was the best decision I could have ever made!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Bufflehead
on 2/25/15 11:15 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I chose it over RNY because I wanted to leave more options on the table in the future with respect to medications. I have a personal and family history of many types of autoimmune diseases, and my surgeon agreed that it was a prudent choice.

No complications whatsoever.

I would have this surgery again every year or even every six months for the rest of my life if that's the way things worked. I had no regrets, no buyer's remorse, no significant struggles after.

I have lost over 180 lbs. About 20 more to go.

Sandy M.
on 2/25/15 11:39 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

To my surgeon, either RNY or the Sleeve was a valid option, each with their pros and cons.  My brother had the RNY several years ago, and lost a lot of weight in a year.  But the dumping sucked.  And more importantly, after about a year, his restriction wasn't there any longer and he started to gain the weight back.  I'd estimate that he's gained at least 75 pounds back.

If you have bad acid reflux, your surgeon might recommend RNY over Sleeve; for some reason the sleeve can make he reflux worse (after 2 years I still have to take a PPI every day, so I was one of the unlucky ones).

Having had the lap band for 8 years prior to the Sleeve, I can talk about my experiences with both.  The band was 8 years of misery; the Sleeve has given me my life back.

With any surgery, you have to follow the program, and not just for a year.  I learned the hard way when I gained back 20 pounds in the last year.  

Good luck to you whatever option you choose - WLS is a game changer for sure!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

wyo_sarah
on 2/25/15 11:59 pm

I chose this one because it seemed the least invasive and I had two friends who had gotten sleeves and were very successful.  I told the doctor that was what I wanted and he said that was what he would have recommended anyway.  I didn't have any complications.  I was nauseous and week the first 6 weeks, but since then I have felt fantastic.  I'm 5'7 and at surgery I weighed 262, BMI of about 40.  I will be 7 months post op on Sunday.  I've lost 101 lbs, have a normal BMI (as of this morning!) and I'm very happy with what I can eat.  I eat sweets in small amounts and that makes me happy.

Most Active
Recent Topics