Hungry all the time.

glamlamb
on 2/25/15 9:23 am
VSG on 01/19/15

When I set out to select a surgery, one thing that leaned me towards the sleeve was the description of how the part of the stomach that produces ghrelin is cut off, which would result in my not feeling hungry so much. But here I am, in week 6, and I am starving ALL. THE. TIME. Is this normal? I'm getting very frustrated and disheartened (by many things) right now.

(deactivated member)
on 2/25/15 11:10 am
Hislady
on 2/25/15 11:14 am - Vancouver, WA

As a rule what feels like hunger at this stage is actually increased acid production, your surgeon should have put you on an acid reducer after surgery. If he hasn't you may want to contact him and see what he suggests. Otherwise it could be head hunger but that doesn't tend to be constant hunger.

Journey2be
on 2/25/15 11:19 am

I was going to say that about the acid as well, are you taking a proton pump inhibitor? My surgery is next week so I don't know first hand yet but I have heard from the support group and on here that people rarely felt hungry, but more like an empty feeling more than hunger, and if they felt hunger type pangs it was due to the acid. It mimics hunger pangs as we know them supposedly. 

glamlamb
on 2/25/15 12:37 pm
VSG on 01/19/15

oh, thank you, everybody! i haven't been 100% consistent taking that medication because i already have so many meds i have to choke down daily (on top of vitamins, protein, all tha****er, etc.) but i will try to be better. i hope that works!

ElizaM
on 2/26/15 8:28 am
VSG on 07/24/14

Going on and off a PPI is worse than going off entirely. People tend to experience withdrawal of a sorts when they go off PPIs. Take it consistently, and if you're still this hungry, as your doctor for a different prescription. It took me a couple tries to find one that worked for me.  

My money is on acid production. It really does feel like crazy hunger. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/26/15 4:20 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Surgery fixes our stomachs, but not our heads. When you feel hungry, is your stomach grumbling? Do you feel stomach pain? If not, then it's "head hunger" and it's emotional rather than physical.

If that's the case, scheduling lots of small meals/snacks is great. Grab water (or Crystal Light, or tea, or...) when you feel like you need to eat something, that way there's something in your stomach. Hang in there!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

glamlamb
on 2/26/15 8:32 am
VSG on 01/19/15

yes, i definitely feel the grumbling and stomach pain, and water hasn't helped. i'm thinking acid is the answer.

Most Active
Recent Topics