New Here

debbieok813
on 3/1/15 12:32 pm

Hello Everyone,

Very happy to have found this forum. I'm planning on having the sleeve surgery in the next few months. I'm 51 and live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I heard from my insurance company - they approved my surgery, but are saying the dr. I chose doesn't perform surgery at an approved hospital. It's frustrating, to say the least, since I did a lot of research on the dr. and the hospital.  I hope to have this straightened out soon and go on to have my surgery.

I have a lot of concerns and hope to read everyone's posts with your experiences. I realize this sounds vain, but has anyone had a problem with thinning hair?  Any way to avoid that side effect? And what, if anything, would you have done differently?  Any advice or information is greatly appreciated.

Melanielw
on 3/2/15 1:20 am
VSG on 01/21/15

Congrats on getting approved for surgery! That is very exciting!!

I am almost 7 weeks post op so I have not gotten to the point of hair loss yet. I have read on here though it happens at about the 3 month mark and there isn't anything you can do to avoid it. There is a specific term for the hair loss I just can't remember it right now. You can search "hair loss" on OH, and a lot of topics will come up where you can read more about it. 

My best advice to you is to make sure you ask lots of questions before you have the surgery so you have a thorough understanding of what recovery will be like. I did not so I freaked out over every little thing my body did that I felt was abnormal. Also, make sure to get your fluids in when you first have the surgery. I did not do that and was almost hospitalized due to dehydration. That is by far one of the most important things to do is to keep hydrated.

mickeymantle
on 3/2/15 2:11 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I did not lose ant hair but it became brittle , but I am using an intesive conditioner now and it helps

but most people have some hair loss maybe I didn't because Im a slow loser like 5 lb a month ( for 20 months)

people try raising there protien and biotin  but my nut says nothing helps , but it will grow back in a few months 

many people use the same surgeon in San Fransisco  on this site and are happy with him , one of the most experienced  vsg surgeons in the world  ask around  

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Sandra F.
on 3/2/15 4:46 am

My surgery was October 6th, 2014 and I am in the midst of the hair loss stage.  I'm hoping that it grows back but right now it is coming out in handfuls.  I have tried increasing my protein but that's not working, so I am hopeful that it is just a stage.

Most Active
Recent Topics