Quantity Post Op - Groceries

sleeve_scholar
on 3/1/15 1:37 am
VSG on 03/09/15

Thanks everyone for the excellent advice. This helps me with planning tremendously and I will buy a week's worth of items and buy on a weekly basis once I get the hand of things. I can't wait to be on the "losers bench" and pray all goes well. I will be posting my progress post surgery.

mickeymantle
on 3/1/15 1:44 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I use tons of eggs almost every day I have eggs for breakfast since 2 weeks out

how much of anything you buy now depends on your plan , I was on full food after 2 weeks , some plans have you wait as long as 2 months to eat solid food

taste changes so do not buy to much , sams club will allow easy returns if you but to much

I wounder if yonannas are considers full liquid I was allowed anything that will go thru a strainer  including baby food with no chunks in it

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

KayDeeCee
on 3/1/15 1:51 am
VSG on 01/26/15

Pre-Op at Costco, I bought two of the 18-packs of Chocolate Premier Protein Shakes (especially since they were on sale). I wish I had bought more, because I am now on my fifth pack. I also bought some Vanilla Dry Whey Protein. I didn't open that up, and had no returning that 5 weeks after I bought it for a full refund. I was very tired for two weeks after surgery, and did not feel like shopping. I am 5 weeks out now and down to one shake a day but plan to continue that for quite awhile. My taste for the Shakes did not change. The only thing my tastebuds have decided they no longer like is my beloved black coffee. Congratulations on having a Surgery Date set.

5'7" HW 256 (1/6/2014) SW 236.2 (VSG: 1/26/2015) CW 165.5 (01/10/2016) Total Weight Lost 90.5
Pre-Op: -19.8; Month 1: -19; Month 2: -12.7; Month 3: -9.9; Month 4: -7.2; Month 5: -6.4; Month 6: -2.8; Month 7: -3.7; Month 8: -4.2; Month 9: -0.6; Month 10: -2.1; Month 11: -0 Month 12: -2.1

GOALS: BMI Normal = 159 (6.5 to go); 100 LBs Lost = 156 (9.5 to go); FINAL GOAL: 139?? (26.5 to go)

MegZorar
on 3/1/15 2:10 am

Congrats on your surgery and best of luck to you. 

The one thing I'll tell you is forget the quantities that you're used to buying. I was SHOCKED post-surgery by how LITTLE food I needed and how food just seemed to be piling up. A few items from the grocery store could feed me for a month, instead of weekly hauls.

Valerie G.
on 3/1/15 6:37 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I highly recommend that you not buy too much of any one kind of protein until you are post op.  So many realize that what they've stockpiled tastes like poison once they're back home.  Instead, get a variety of brands and flavors to try after your surgery.  Once you decide which one doesn't suck, then send someone to get that stockpile.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

TeressaJ
on 3/1/15 12:10 pm

I bought too many protein shakes for post op.  I also bought too much Isopure. I could drink it immediately post op but about 2 weeks post op I could no longer tolerate the taste. Don't know why. They seemed to smell like rotten hamburger meat to me. I began to drink a lot of broth at that point, sometimes adding protein powder, sometimes not. I also could not tolerate drinking regular tap water or bottled water. It felt like a lead ball in my stomach. I tried some Propel water and it worked great. Easy on my stomach. I wouldn't purchase much of anything, though, because your tastes will change. Besides, I was able to go to the store the day I was released from the hospital so you can get what you need in small amounts instead of stocking up, like I did. It was a waste of money. I'm 8 months post op and still have giant bags of protein powder I can't stand.

cconroy55
on 3/3/15 3:55 am

One thing I realized was that the shakes were much harder to get down after surgery than some of the thinner drinks.  Also, I quickly got bored of the sweet stuff all the time and wanted something different.  I love the unjury chicken soup (which I have almost every day for lunch and haven't really gotten bored of), I usually have a Bari-wise fruit drink for breakfast, and also have enjoyed the Bari Wise cream of mushroom soup and hot chocolate.  You'll be on those protein drinks for some part of your day for a long time, so try to find some variety that you like :-)

Most Active
Recent Topics