Realistic Weight Loss Expectations - Post VGS Procedure

PiperChapala
on 2/24/15 3:31 am

Hi there.  I had the VGS on February 14 so am just 10 days post-op and have only lost two pounds.  I feel good, other than some nausea after the morning meal.  I did lose 12.2 pounds in the week prior to the surgery on the pre-op diet, but two pounds in 10 days just seems so slow.  I'm following the meal plan and taking my vitamins and drinking 64 oz of water a day.  Walking 10-20 mins per day as well.  Is this slow weight loss normal until everything is healed??  (Starting weight 235 lbs.)

TruemansMom
on 2/24/15 3:37 am
VSG on 06/24/13

It sounds like you are doing well, following the plan. It is pretty normal to be losing slowly for the first little while. Then there is a oft encountered 3rd week stall that hits many.

I think it is so we can get used to the fact that the scale really is not the only thing you judge by. Have you checked your measurements? Sometimes those improve when the scale does not budge.

The preop diet is intended to deplete water weight and you may have put some of that back on. 

Jan D.  5'-8", highest wt 231, surgery wt 213

PiperChapala
on 2/24/15 4:04 am

Thank you, TruemansMom.  That is reassuring.  I'm sure I did put some water weight back on after the surgery.  I'll be patient..... can't do much else, really!  The new stomach won't take it!  Thanks again.

janet928
on 2/24/15 4:33 am

The first week my weight was up from the IV's. Since then I have lost relatively slow. Some of us lose at a slower rate. Just keep doing what you are supposed to do and it will come off. Also, you should be increasing your walking to at least 30 min a day. Good luck.

PiperChapala
on 2/24/15 4:38 am

Thanks, Janet928.  That is again reassuring.  As soon as I feel a bit better I do plan to walk for a longer time.  Thanks again.

momsy55
on 2/24/15 5:08 am - ME

It sounds like you're healing and doing well!  I gained 13 lbs. following surgery, from all of the fluids.  I lost 10 of those 13 lbs in the first week or so, but was still up by 3 lbs. as of day 9.  I was also quite constipated, so called the surgeon's office, and took a hefty dose of MOM to get things moving, per their recommendation.  I finally took that extra weight off, and then started losing, but it was slow at first.  I think my total weight loss at my 2 week post-surgery check up (actualy on day 15) was 7 lbs.  Not to pry, but have you gone to the bathroom much, if at all?  Even if that's not an issue, it may take a little more time before you see a significan drop.  Not to worry - it will all even out.  I know it's hard, but try to be patient!  :)

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

PiperChapala
on 2/24/15 5:13 am

Thanks so much, Momsy55.  That makes me feel al bit better!  Elimination hasn't been a problem so far but I just started taking chewable iron yesterday and I know that can cause constipation.  It sounds like I just need to be patient.  Thanks, again.

momsy55
on 2/24/15 5:24 am - ME

Just an FYI.  My daughter had to take large doses of iron last year.  She needed chewables, as she couldn't swallow pills.  I got gentle iron for her, that doesn't have the binding side effect that regular .  I believe you can get pills/capsules at most pharmacies, but I had to get the chewables online.  I got them on Amazon.  They were Natural Factors Easy Iron Chewables - 60 20mg. tabs were $11.+.  They do cost a little more than regular iron, but aren't too expensive, and kept her from getting constipated.  Good luck!

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

psychoticparrot
on 2/24/15 7:12 am

From everything I've read and from what my doctor told me, now is not the time to worry about weight loss. During this post-op time, up to 3 months, everything, including diet, should be devoted to healing. When you're fully healed and can eat a normal, healthy diet, then the true weight loss begins.

I lost 10 pounds the first two weeks post-op, but I suspect it was from nausea. I had and still have a hard time getting in all my protein and water. So I would say you're probably doing better than I am!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

PiperChapala
on 2/24/15 11:07 am

This all makes sense.  I appreciate your response and I wish you luck in your continued journey.  Thanks.

Most Active
Recent Topics