Lap band needs redone....should I re-do or go to VSG? Im scared to go that invasive!

Sarah V.
on 2/24/15 6:38 am

PS...my surgeon warned me that band to sleeve conversions seem to result in slower weight loss than a "virgin" sleeve and that has been my experience. That being said, I've lost about 90lbs since my surgery April 29, 2014.

Lap Band September 2007 / Slip discovered March 2014 after significant regain / Revised to VSG April 29, 2014

(deactivated member)
on 2/24/15 7:02 am

I totally get it. I had the band in 2005 for the same reason- not permanent. But if we just needed a temporary fix, we wouldn't need surgery in the first place. I have since had the bad removed(2011) and sleeve done July 2014. The damage done by the lap band is permanent. Surgeon had a he'd time with all the scaring and damage.  My lap band damage was so bad in 2011 that the surgeon told me I could have died because of the infected hole it caused.  

I am much happier with the sleeve and like others don't feel hungry like the band. It was hard accepting that I needed a permanent solution but once I did, it was the best decision. 

allyray
on 2/24/15 7:18 pm

At first, I was afraid of it being permanent as well but like danamarie just said, if I hadn't kept losing gaining, losing gaining, etc... I wouldn't have needed something permanent. Honestly, the thought of having a foreign object in my body for the rest of my life scared the crap out of me so the sleeve is what I've decided to go with. Just waiting for my day in the OR!!!

Good luck with your decision

RedVetMom
on 2/25/15 12:00 am

Get the VSG. I had it and the recovery was nothing like I anticipated. A friend of mine had by-pass and was off work for 3 months. I had VSG and was back to work in 2 weeks. I was really getting bored sitting around the house. I got home on a Tuesday and Friday I was out trying to find flowers and clothes for my son to go to prom. I know I was not approved to be driving but I felt amazing. 

RedVetMom
on 2/25/15 12:01 am
SATXVSG
on 2/25/15 12:18 am - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

It is probably an extreme case but I read a bbq forum and one of the members there had the band done and it slipped and eroded into his stomach.  It caused a sever bacterial infection.  He was in the hospital for almost a year and fourmonths of that he was in an induced coma.  He is now on permanent disability.  

A coworker had the lap band and she had numerous problems before having it removed.

The fact the VSG is permanent is an advantage in my eyes.  The lap band is temporary and will your insurance cover the necessary changes 5-10 years down the road?

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

PSwoman13
on 2/25/15 2:02 am

I had a revision September 2012, the absolute best decision I could have made. As another poster said which is incorrect, you would be getting a "virgin sleeve" so your weight loss would be like anyone elses but to what you body will do for you. I lost weight with the band but had a hard time eating any healthy foods and ended up eating sliders all the time. When you have the VSG you don't know how small your stomach is just that you now eat small amounts of food. Bye the way for what reason do you think you will need your "whole" stomach for later? Best of luck with your decision.

Most Active
Recent Topics