The flu? Lingering Dumping Syndrome?

JoeyJo
on 2/23/15 5:18 am - NJ

I had an episode early out when I ate something inappropriate and almost hurled.   After walking around,  the feeling passed.   

Yesterday throughout the day, I ate 8 no sugar added fudgsicles.  You tag that right... I ate 8 of them. I didn't realize it until I reviewed my tracker... Mindless I know! 

Then last night I mindlessly (I know! ) ate a bunch of skittles during the academy awards after visiting my dad in the hospital and taking care of my sick mother.   Skittles are not even a favorite candy, it was emotional and I will discuss it with my therapist.  

Here's my question for you guys...  could eating 8 no-sugar added fudgsicles and a bunch of skittles make me wake up around 3 am in extreme gastro distress.   Sorry for the graphic scenario but it was explosive diarrhea then unexpected vomit.   This episode lasted for almost an hour.  I got cleaned up and went back to sleep till I woke up around 8 am with more wicked diarrhea which has continued throughout the day. I did not throw up again but felt queasy and cannot eat. 

I was able to drink a Pure Protein chocolate shake late this morning.   It took almost an hour to finish.  I had a Greek yogurt around 3:30.  I'm on my second 16 oz. ice water.

Could this be lingering dumping syndrome for the fudgsicles and skittles sugar overload?  

Valerie G.
on 2/23/15 6:15 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

OMG, you just induced yourself into a chemical ****storm.  I don't think it was dumping per se' but dayum!  Artificial sweeteners can cause severe gastric distress to some in small amounts, but you just went nuts.  I think anyone would have some kind of effect.   The nausea you feel now is probably more due to dehydration from the diarrhea.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Grim_Traveller
on 2/23/15 7:26 am
RNY on 08/21/12

VSG don't dump, just RNY. And it wouldn't happen hours later.

Were tere sugar alcohols in the fudgsicles? Sugar alcohols will turn your insides into a volcano.

Don't do that anymore.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

mickeymantle
on 2/23/15 9:59 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

your wrong a small amount of people with vsg dump also some people without wls

but sugar alcohol can do a job on you if you eat to much

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

JoeyJo
on 2/23/15 7:43 am - NJ

I don't know how long it will be before I eat anything again and I doubt I will ever eat another skittle or fudgsicle of any kind.   

mmsmom
on 2/23/15 9:27 am - Woburn, MA

Sugar does  the same to my system.  Since sugar or fat bring it on for me., i think it's dumping.   Stay away from the sugar.  It's not worth it

VSG on 04/28/2014

poet_kelly
on 2/23/15 10:55 am - OH

Those are not the symptoms of dumping, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/23/15 9:37 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I agree with the others, the sugar substitute can really throw your stomach out of whack. Between that and the diarrhea, drink as much water as you can today! Hope it passes quickly, that sounds miserable.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

poet_kelly
on 2/23/15 10:54 am - OH

That does not sound like the flu or dumping syndrome.

The flu is a respiratory illness.  Some people also get nausea or vomiting with the flu, but it involves fever, body aches, chills, coughing, sore throat, etc.

People with VSG are very unlikely to dump.  Symptoms of dumping syndrome include a rapid heartbeat, sweating, feeling weak and/or dizzy, and sometimes stomach pain, nausea, vomiting and/or diarrhea.

You had nausea and diarrhea.  Probably from too much sugar and/or artificial sweetener in the no sugar added fudgesicles.  Not dumping, not the flu.  Just sick from too much junk food.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Flabaway
on 2/23/15 2:35 pm
VSG on 01/05/15 with

Sugar alcohols and possibly whatever weird wax type carnauba crap the skittles are made of. Worst reaction I've had was to a small handful of pistachios, I was wedded to the porcelain for hours. We live and learn.

Most Active
Recent Topics