Diet Coke

elatedelaine
on 2/23/15 1:07 am

I thought the same thing about stretching the stomach but was told by my doctor that he removed the "stretchy" part of the stomach and that I won't be able to stretch this out because it's not a pouch...I get so confused:(

jkmcnult
on 2/22/15 10:20 am - golden, CO

I'm not sure but I don't crave it any more! I used to drink diet cola by the gallon.

Valerie G.
on 2/22/15 10:46 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Because it HURTS at first.....then makes its way to being very uncomfortable...then maybe 6 mos later you can handle it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

elatedelaine
on 2/23/15 1:08 am

Thank you!  I used to drink about 3-4 a day and I have been craving them again now that I'm 3 months out.

gaia12141
on 2/22/15 10:53 am

My program's head dietitian said that, while there's no evidence in the surgical literature that carbonation increases stomach volume, there IS data in the non-surgical literature.  That's why she cautions all patients not to even go there with soda after surgery...why play with fire?

Surgery date: 2/4/15    Surgeon: Ozanan Meireles, MD, Mass General Hospital

HW/284   SW/250   CW/185   GW/150       

elatedelaine
on 2/23/15 1:09 am

Very true!

gwen41539
on 2/23/15 12:04 am - kimper, KY

Ok I don't drink.soda haven't since I was lap.band in 2008 but I drink Crystal light it has artificial sweeteners in it don't they cause cravings too? Like the sugar free candy etc? 

HW 381/ pre op 345 /SW 312 Vsg 7/13/15 /CW 288

M1-24 lbs

Tracy D.
on 2/23/15 12:56 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Lots of reasons:  

1.  Especially in the first few months, the carbonation will make you very uncomfortable.

2.  If you're Type 2 diabetic, the body "reads" artifical sweeteners just like sugar.  Meaning that your body dumps insulin into your bloodstream when you drink one.  Excess insulin triggers your liver to STORE FAT!  Yes, even on 600-800 calories a day you can gain fat if you're eating a lot of artifical sweetners.  My doctor firmly believes that my Diet Coke addiction got me to Type II diabetes a lot faster than normal.  

3.  Like Stacy said, Diet Coke was always the companion drink to my binge food/fast food addiction.  It's very, very hard to have one without the other.  It absolutely triggers me to want more sweet tasting things or salty things. 

4.  Because I've picked up the Diet Coke drinking more than occasionally (), I can report that it greatly increases the acid production in my stomach...and I already have a problem with that!  And excess acid always feels like hunger pangs to me.  So drinking it makes me feel hungry - a lot. 

So proceed with caution but definitely wait to tip your toe into that pond until AFTER you've lost all the weight.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

elatedelaine
on 2/23/15 1:10 am

Thank you for this wonderful advice!  It does seem to be a "trigger" for snacking!

Lisa167
on 2/23/15 2:13 am
VSG on 08/14/14

When I was going through all of the pre-op classes, the soda question was asked by someone.  The answer was - not everyone regains their weight, but of those who do, they all drank diet soda again.

I thought...hmmm...NOT WORTH IT!  LOL.

Whether their statement was 100% accurate or not, it's something to think about.  Soda is garbage...chemicals.  Not something we need.  If it's a slippery slope, why start back on it?  Losing the weight is hard enough.

Most Active
Recent Topics